• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    I stand admonished dear sir - I shall never do this again and next time I'll check the spelling in my titles too
    Oh no, dear sir: admonition was not my intent! I thought that the discussion was in danger of becoming an argument about the merits of Sargent as a conductor and hoped to suggest that Bennett may have had other purposes in including the line in his play. This was before the discussion about Schnabel the composer took wing.

Pray do this sort of thing as oft as it pleases yourself and the rest of us!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Yes thank you Anton, it gave me a chance to tell the story of the Schnabel symphony rehearsal for the second time on these boards,hopefully to new members.

I think it may have been the RPO but it certainly didn't impress them or get a good review in the papers the next day. Perhaps the world wasn't ready for it

Perhaps Bennet should stick to writing about Cream Crackers under sofas,etc,I loved those monologues he wrote.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Beecham and Sargent in Handel's Messiah, did two conductors ever produce such radically different interpretations of the same piece in the fifties/sixties?

Comment

• rauschwerk
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          Beecham and Sargent in Handel's Messiah, did two conductors ever produce such radically different interpretations of the same piece in the fifties/sixties?
          From what I can gather, Hermann Scherchen's recordings were quite daring in their extreme tempi.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I think the tempi may depend on whether they are conducting a large amateur choir or small professional body.

You couldn't hurry the RCS or Huddersfield Choir like the small pro ones good though they are.
            Last edited by salymap; 21-12-12, 12:01.

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              I think the tempi may depend on whether they are conducting a large amateur choir or small professional body.

You couldn't hurry the RCS or Huddersfield Choir like the small pro ones good though they are.
              Having heard and seen Charles Mackerras and Tenebrae in the 2007 LSO performance of Messiah, I have no interest in hearing it performed by anyone else.

HS
              Last edited by Hornspieler; 23-12-12, 14:15.

Comment

Working...
              X