X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

To keep on listening to the Alban Berg violin concerto until I can understand what people see in it.

HS

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
      To keep on listening to the Alban Berg violin concerto until I can understand what people see in it.

HS
      I agree with your confusion HS...but I think I'll spend the time elsewhere....and the penny may drop anyway, at some point !
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        I hadn't realised you were an expert on all the capabilities of the conscious/sub-conscious mind. I doff my pith at your eye-watering use of semantics and shall await more profound philosophical and neurological insights.
        Nor had I - but then one would not need such expertise to be capable of deducing that "active listening" involves concentrating on what is being listened to at the expense of most other things except breathing, whereas "passive listening" does not - and, in any case, it was not I who put forward those terms. MrGG is correct; my remark did indeed embrace the distinction between "hearing" and "listening" and I thought that most of us appreciated the difference between these two activities. It's hardly that big a deal anyway!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Nor had I - but then one would not need such expertise to be capable of deducing that "active listening" involves concentrating on what is being listened to at the expense of most other things except breathing, whereas "passive listening" does not - and, in any case, it was not I who put forward those terms. MrGG is correct; my remark did indeed embrace the distinction between "hearing" and "listening" and I thought that most of us appreciated the difference between these two activities. It's hardly that big a deal anyway!
          Such gibes are unworthy of a gentleman.

So when I write and I listen to music, what am I doing? I hear the music, I am part-listening to it in the sense that my "peripheral ear" seems to follow the melodies and my emotions are moved by it, I am thus engaging with it but not 100%, as part of the brain is also engaged in writing. Ergo, I am not actively engaged in listening to it.

But I dare say you will not be gainsaid. "I am ahinton, hear me roar!"

Oh, and, um, http://www.sfu.ca/psyc/guest/brown/emotion.pdf
          Last edited by Guest; 19-12-12, 15:01.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I hadn't realised you were an expert on all the capabilities of the conscious/sub-conscious mind. I doff my pith at your eye-watering use of semantics and shall await more profound philosophical and neurological insights.

Try saying "doff my pith" after a couple of large glasses of Chateauneuf-de-Pape....
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Try saying "doff my pith" after a couple of large glasses of Chateauneuf-de-Pape....
              another one Noggin could try on a slow night in the Loire (or wherever) is the well known franglais tongue twister "red Renault, yellow Renault !"
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                franglais tongue twister
                ... at receptions in Paris - drink having been taken - I found myself most often tongue-twisted when having to discuss the Ensemble InterContemporain*...

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensemble_InterContemporain

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... at receptions in Paris - drink having been taken - I found myself most often tongue-twisted when having to discuss the Ensemble InterContemporain*...

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ensemble_InterContemporain

a feeling I am sure we can all empathise with, Vinny. Life can be tough.

Nothing is ever really straightforward with Boulez around.........

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Such gibes are unworthy of a gentleman.
                    Er, which ones - and who's the gentleman?

So when I write and I listen to music, what am I doing? I hear the music, I am part-listening to it in the sense that my "peripheral ear" seems to follow the melodies and my emotions are moved by it, I am thus engaging with it but not 100%, as part of the brain is also engaged in writing. Ergo, I am not actively engaged in listening to it.
                    On the contrary, part of you is actively engaged in listening to it, as you have yourself just indicated!

But I dare say you will not be gainsaid.
                    I gainsay that you will not be daresaid.

"I am ahinton, hear me roar!"
                    Are you really? There must be two of us, then - and this one doesn't roar! And, incidentally, even though I do not claim to be a gentleman, I will duly refrain from contemplating action against you for breach of copyright or identity theft!...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

I wish I'd none of these delights de la langue yesterday. I was here last night http://www.lebelcanto.com/page.php?id=13 for Mrs. Thropplenoggin's office Christmas bash (another thread in this peculiarity of 'fine-dining' and operatic variety show?!) Could've livened up the awkward silences in the painful longueurs between arias. Indeed, the arias, many of them strangled to death before my weeping gaze, were almost a blessing.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Nothing is ever really straightforward with Boulez around.........
                        Which sadly he isn't much these days, plagued as he is with illness; let's hope that he resolves to get better in 2013...

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

I wish I'd none of these delights de la langue yesterday. I was here last night http://www.lebelcanto.com/page.php?id=13 for Mrs. Thropplenoggin's office Christmas bash (another thread in this peculiarity of 'fine-dining' and operatic variety show?!) Could've livened up the awkward silences in the painful longueurs between arias. Indeed, the arias, many of them strangled to death before my weeping gaze, were almost a blessing.
                          Oh, dear! Sounds as though the whole was rather less than "inoubliable"!...

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Now some money launderer/drug dealer/ gun runner needing a new identity and stealing that of AH is something I would REALLY like to see.

(well not really, since that would be very bad/criminal/whatever.....but all the same...any line of questioning by the authorities would be intriguing to say the least....)

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Which sadly he isn't much these days, plagued as he is with illness; let's hope that he resolves to get better in 2013...
                              Absolutement.

(almost back on topic too).

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

another one Noggin could try on a slow night in the Loire (or wherever) is the well known franglais tongue twister "red Renault, yellow Renault !"
                                I cannot claim any more expertise in pith doffing than I can in whatever it was that Mr Noggin sought by implication to ascribe to me earlier, but the Anglo-Scottish example "the Leith police dismisseth us" is one with a dozen rapid repetitions of which I would have trouble even after a couple of small glasses of water!...

Comment

Working...
                                X