• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Oct 2024

Your Music-related Resolutions for 2013

Here are mine:

1) Stop streaming music via Qobuz, Spotify and YouTube - this just leads me to compulsive buying, time spent hunting out bargains on various Amazon sites, ever-lengthening Amazon wishlists and distracts me from the bulging shelves of music I already own.

2) Dedicate more time to active rather than passive listening with headphones on the computer.

3) Buy more music from sites dedicated to classical music - PrestoClassical, MDT, etc. - instead of Amazon and the Amazon marketplace.

3) Attend more concerts.

4) Buy no new CDs in January. Try to appreciate all the ones I have. I have half a dozen still in their cellophane wrappers from recent splurges and I'm still looking to fill gaps in my collection!
    Last edited by Guest; 18-12-12, 10:30.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

1:I thought I might have a bash at another symphony

2:More gigs in exotic locations

3:Try to get to Grimes on the Beach

4: Listen to the few pieces of Jonathan Harvey's music that I seem to have missed

5:Find a teacher and learn to really play the Duduk rather than messing about with it

and probably a thousand more.........

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Waste less time endlessly surfing these boards in the morning.

Somehow list and file all the CDs covering everything including the bed in the spare room.

Listen to recent gifts, purchases and BBCMM CDs I haven't yet played.

Play some old Videos of ballets, operas and concerts, recorded in the early days of BBC4 when it first started.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        I know that feeling! I believe it's called "obsessive-compulsive disorder".

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          You are right Thropple and here I am again - but I must get on

Comment

• amateur51

Much too fancy a diagnosis, Throppers - surely it's just a case of ....

RARE OLDIES VIDEO WITH MISS ROSE MURPHY ! Rose Murphy (born May 7, 1913 in Xenia, Ohio, USA--died November 16, 1989 in New York City, USA.) was a pianist and...

scuse the out-of-synch sound

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Here are mine:

3) Buy more music from sites dedicated to classical music - PrestoClassical, MDT, etc. - instead of Amazon and the Amazon marketplace.

3) Attend more concerts.

4) Buy no new CDs in January. Try to appreciate all the ones I have. I have half a dozen still in their cellophane wrappers from recent splurges and I'm still looking to fill gaps in my collection!
              3) I have already boycotted Amazon - (and sent a stern email .. that'll show 'em!)

3) (You've got 2 No 3s ... and why not?) Try to go to more locally rather than traipsing off to London.

4) I am seriously considering trumping you and going for a full year. (A few years ago I gave up biscuits for a year - so anything is possible). The trouble is that now that I'm retired with kids gone and mortgage paid, I can for the first time in my life actually afford to buy more or less what takes my fancy - and with one mouse click it is so easy to succumb. Shelves are groaning (and wife). I have a large backlog of recently bought CDs (especially in large boxes) which I haven't even nearly done full justice to, so I wouldn't be short of new listening experiences.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                Shelves are groaning (and wife). .
                I'm sure if you search on the internet you will be able to buy another one of those as well

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

why would any one buy another wife????????????????
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Whatever makes you think that's a waste of time?!

I don't make resolutions, because I know from experience I won't keep to them, so I just drift along more or less happily.
                    Last edited by Mary Chambers; 18-12-12, 15:10. Reason: To put the carelessly omitted C into 'because'.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Listening to all Liszt's piano music, courtesy of Leslie Howard, Hyperion and Santa. It averages out at around 2 CDs a week. A snip at £2 a disc, some will doubtless get more spins than others. I recently picked up Eleanor Perényi's biog of Liszt in a second hand bookshop, having previously read Sacheverell Sitwell's friendly one and Ernest Newman's hatchet job, so it's going to be a year of really getting to know Liszt, a composer I greatly admire.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... I shall try to adopt a more kindly attitude to British music - well, at least not to contemn it unheard...

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Already started on one. Trying to listen to a work new to me every day...or as near as possible. Not a hard one to do that..fun.Am going to try to fit more contemporary music into that one also.

As other have said, get more out of the recorded music I have already, and listen better. Work in progress.

Get back to playing or participating in some music , as I hope to have a bit more time on my hands.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... I shall try to adopt a more kindly attitude to British music - well, at least not to contemn it unheard...
                            Trying not to condemn any music to which one has yet to listen is always a good idea...

As to such resolutions, my only one is not to make resolutions that I either cannot or do not intend to keep - and, in any case, what inherently better about a resolution than an interrupted cadence?...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Trying not to condemn any music to which one has yet to listen is always a good idea...
                              As is trying not to contemn it, which is somewhat different and what our dear and very precise vindepays meant, I think.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contemn
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X