Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

This is a terrible event, but sadly I suspect that the American public are largely unaware of the numbers of children killed by drones in Pakistan, just to give one example.
    We are looking at a nation who seem unable to understand that the rest of the world sees their attitude towards guns as incomprehensible. How many countries are there where it might be unsafe to go shopping for fear of being shot?

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      "Bad"?

White is the opposite of Black ... whilst there are countless other shades in between there can only be one polar opposite. The concept of Light has no meaning if there is no Dark.
      errm White isn't the "opposite" of black at all
      like most things It's relative ........
      are you talking about light, pigment or what ?

Comment

• Boilk
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
        I very much concur that all deaths are tragic, particularly among children.

I believe that our Press, and the BBC in particular, are obsessed with America.
        Agreed about their obsessive US coverage. What's really sickening to me over the last 48 hours is how the BBC is drip-feeding any information that comes out of the Newtown killings, mostly on its 24-hour news channel. People in this country don't need the wringing out of every new datum and statistic, especially a roll call and photo gallery of every victim - that should be reserved either for Connecticut or those affected due to being relatives. The BBC is guilty - yet again - of voyeurism disguised as news for what it believes will make for good audience ratings.

Comment

• Boilk
          • Dec 2010

There is talk that Adam Lanza, the 20-year old mass killer, may have been on anti depressants. We'll may find out in the coming days, but it would be no surprise to some. Many youngsters on anti-depressants have reported fits of uncharacteristic aggression and blind rage. There does seem to be a disturbingly high correlation between anti depressants and school mass killers (both sides of the pond).

Here's a US television news item which sheds some light...

But the mass media never seems to make a particularly big thing out of this - after all, their biggest advertising clients (at least in the US) are Big Pharma.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
            Agreed about their obsessive US coverage. What's really sickening to me over the last 48 hours is how the BBC is drip-feeding any information that comes out of the Newtown killings, mostly on its 24-hour news channel. People in this country don't need the wringing out of every new datum and statistic, especially a roll call and photo gallery of every victim - that should be reserved either for Connecticut or those affected due to being relatives. The BBC is guilty - yet again - of voyeurism disguised as news for what it believes will make for good audience ratings.
            As did the Sunday Times, with over seven pages of coverage, tragic though the subject is. They seem to select a particular bone as being the news item of the moment and then worry it to death, be it the US elections, royal story or whatever. It's as if a once serious organ wants to strive for the audience of the red tops. (Now where have we seen that elsewhere?)
            Last edited by Guest; 17-12-12, 10:38. Reason: Typo

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              errm White isn't the "opposite" of black at all
              are you talking about light, pigment or what ?
              Well, I suppose you could argue that 1+1=2 is just a matter of opinion. On the grounds of politically-correct equality you could argue that it makes 3 and that your opinion is just as valid as any other. Or you might argue that you don't even accept the concept of numbers at all so arithmetic and mathematics are total nonsense.

I understand your point ...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                Well, I suppose you could argue that 1+1=2 is just a matter of opinion. On the grounds of politically-correct equality you could argue that it makes 3 and that your opinion is just as valid as any other. Or you might argue that you don't even accept the concept of numbers at all so arithmetic and mathematics are total nonsense.

I understand your point ...
                Your first paragraph seems to contradict the sentence following

Comment

• Vile Consort
                  • Nov 2010

The American gun lobby keeps saying it people, not guns, that kill people.

In that case, there is something very, very wrong with the American people.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

One drop of water added to another drop of water makes one (bigger) drop of water. Arithmetic, like most things, depends what we're talking about. These child murderers commited evil acts - so at that point they "were" evil. But to understand how they reached that point - and so to help prevent future atrocities - I don't think it helps to summarise their entire existences as "evil". The evil gun laws of the USA and the evil gun companies who profit from such laws and who lobby to ensure that they are not ammended: these are evils that need equal consideration. There is strict gun control in China - that's at least partly why there were no casualties there. (About the only context in which Chinese society can easily be seen as better than that of the USA!)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Simon

Only if you've fallen for the relativist line. Whereas in fact in the real world...

Light is the absolute opposite of darkness.

Cold is the absolute opposite of hot.

Positive is the absolute opposite of negative.

Right is the absolute opposite of wrong.

Good is the absolute opposite of evil.

All is the absolute opposite of nowt.

And is the absolute opposite of

See?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Behaviour at the top of our society is quite dismal. ....
                        Behaviour at ALL levels can be quite dismal.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          Only if you've fallen for the relativist line. Whereas in fact in the real world...

See?
                          And sensible postings are the absolute opposite of MrGongGong's efforts.

I get it.

Comment

• scottycelt

Your first paragraph seems to contradict the sentence following
                            Of course ... and quite deliberately so.

I don't accept your unhelpful concept of 'logic' in such discussions ... these things are all relative, y'see.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong
                              I suggest "Simon" you just piss off and take your arrogant crap somewhere else
                              in the "real world' you are just another sad pathetic pub bore who likes the sound of his own tedious voice
                              It is sad indeed to see this of all threads polluted by this kind of shameful nonsense.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post

See?
                                No - at least not before you enlighten us all to the specific opposite of "Simon"; would you care to do that, please?

While we're at it, incidentally, "evil" is an anagram of "live" whereas the best that "good" can be in that context is "O God!"...

Seriously, though, this "evil" stuff is usually - or is often perceived to be - something that emanates from hardline fundamentalist religious "thinking" and, as such, is ineffably related to some people's concept of "sin"; none of this kind of dogmatic "us and them" type attitudinising ever helps anyone to confront and try sensitively and constructively to address the problems concerned.

That said, for all that there's no "absolution" for me, given not only my thoughts but my deeds (especially the musical ones), I think that some might take issue with your particular and peculiar use of "absolute" in your post above.

Comment

Working...
                                X