X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    Naturally, as you say, he's not going to strike unless he's sure of success
    Well, Ferret, around 100 a year give it a try without apparently much success. According to this link the last human death from an adder bite in the UK was 1975!

When I was much younger I used to walk occasionally on the Isle of Arran, areas of which are infested with the reptiles. I remember very nearly trodding on a very large one innocently basking in the sunshine on a footpath in Glen Rosa in the 1960s. Fortunately it was as frightened of me as I was of it and it very quickly darted into the heather.

I'd be most surprised if it hadn't struck, if only by reflex action, if I had unfortunately managed to step on it!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Scotty

Adders keep the cold out by sleeping together through the winter in large clumps. Is this a popular pastime in Scotland?

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        Well, Ferret, around 100 a year give it a try without apparently much success. According to this link the last human death from an adder bite in the UK was 1975!
        Depends on what 'success' is for the adder - not necessarily the death of its 'attacker'; scaring it away would achieve the objective of the adder's survival.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

A story for the end of the year.

As Noah was letting all the animals off the ark, he said to each pair ‘Go forth, be fruitful and multiply’. Each couple thanked him for hospitality and went on their way.

When Mr and Mrs Adder came to leave, he said to them ‘Go forth, be fruitful and multiply’, and Mr Adder said ‘We can’t multiply, we’re adders!’

‘Oh dear’, said Noah; ‘Well, I’m busy just now, go and wait over there by the firewood, and when all the other animals have left I’ll come and see to you.’

It took a long time for all the animals to leave. When finally Noah came to see to Mr and Mrs Adder, to his surprise he found them with many baby Adders.

‘I thought you said you couldn’t multiply’, said Noah in puzzlement.

‘Oh’, said Mr Adder, ‘we can multiply by logs!’

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Ithankyou!

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                But that is a white top table on a pink floor surely?
                A touch of context should assist:

It will be readily understood and accepted that "Nothing can be anything until it is set in a context" but what is less commonly realized is the fact that "Everything can be made or transformed into anything through being set in a context." The meaninglessness of absolute freedom and all that, what. And the power of progressive definition; in the beginning was nothing much.

The snake in the crevice appears actually to be a red herring. But the snake I saw was real enough; it was on the lowest of the wooden steps visible in the photo-graph.

And I still cannot get the brush-cutter to fire. The natives here attach a noisy little motor to all kinds of things: if they go swimming in the ocean they take a little motor so that they can glide over the waves; when they sweep up the leaves in the garden they use a little blower thing instead of a rake (out of sight out of mind); if they go cycling . . . and so on . . . and appear to have no problems. Why am I an exception? And the smell of petrol from the horrid thing now permeates the house. It will have to go back to the establishment whereat it was acquired.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                  The nightmare continues:

1) Close to where the snake was glimpsed, there is a crevice where a window-frame has separated from the brickwork. Yesterday I observed therein what looks very like the scales of a skin of a snake.!

It looks more like a damp proof membrane to me
                  you can buy it on a roll ....... and not a snake in sight

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
                      A touch of context should assist:

It will be readily understood and accepted that "Nothing can be anything until it is set in a context" but what is less commonly realized is the fact that "Everything can be made or transformed into anything through being set in a context." The meaninglessness of absolute freedom and all that, what. And the power of progressive definition; in the beginning was nothing much.

The snake in the crevice appears actually to be a red herring. But the snake I saw was real enough; it was on the lowest of the wooden steps visible in the photo-graph.

And I still cannot get the brush-cutter to fire. The natives here attach a noisy little motor to all kinds of things: if they go swimming in the ocean they take a little motor so that they can glide over the waves; when they sweep up the leaves in the garden they use a little blower thing instead of a rake (out of sight out of mind); if they go cycling . . . and so on . . . and appear to have no problems. Why am I an exception? And the smell of petrol from the horrid thing now permeates the house. It will have to go back to the establishment whereat it was acquired.
                      Wooden steps? All I can see is a bit of old sideboard and what appears to be brickwork. The latter is, of course, carpet as indicated by the ruffling at the top. I am not convinced that this is anywhere other than Frinton.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        Wooden steps? All I can see is a bit of old sideboard and what appears to be brickwork. The latter is, of course, carpet as indicated by the ruffling at the top. I am not convinced that this is anywhere other than Frinton.
                        ... and a luxuriant ivy, too : not native to Australia.

Decidedly Frinton rather than Tasmania, I wd say.

Comment

Working...
                        X