Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    So sorry to defy your Conan Doyle-like skills, Mandy but I also come from North of Watford, of Brum, just South of Chester in fact, so put that in your pipe and smoke it outside

So what is the root cause of your antipathy towards your fellow Northerners when they turn their minds to matters artistic, you little bundle of claws?
    As a matter of fact, my three favourite British writers (George Gissing, David Mercer and David Storey) all come from the same (northern) town: namely, Wakefield.

What I dislike about Bennett, Wood and (though even I wouldn't place him in their company) Redmond is their parochialiity and almost total lack of vision. I also find their work (and the work that Redmond promoted) deeply depressing - something that can never be said of 'good' writing.

Peter Shaffer also comes from Liverpool - can't say I like his plays much, though at least he tries to tackle big themes.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Want to borrow my grand-dad's tin hat, ts?
      Thanks, I prolly ought to. I like Wales though, TBF . I recently undertook a mini break in Abergavenny.
      Very nice. Did my Xmas shopping in Monmouth. Mind you, had to go two days in a row, as they still seem to have early closing on Wednesdays.

Have I redeemed myself?
      I even spent a tenner on the Rach Cello Sonata at that shop in Abergavenny.(and a few quid in their excellent flea market).
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

I thought the point about Victoria Wood is that she is funny?
        Which I think she is. Very.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          you are confused, and thinking of Wales and its bridge.....and that is to get out, not in !
          Well, no, on more than one count; £16 is what you pay go get into Westminster Abbey as a tourist (I'm surprised the sum is less than three figures, but there) and £6 is the amount charged to go over the toll bridge INTO Wales,not out of it.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

and the £6 is well worth paying to visit Wales, though that is another charge that should be scrapped !!

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              Presumably mindful of the sheer length of time that this soap has been going, an organist colleague once said to me that its longevity is all very well but you cannot have Archers without first having Bowyers...
              That's too esoteric for me.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                That's too esoteric for me.
                Not much archery would take place were there no bow makers, would it?...

Comment

• amateur51

I agree!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

I agree as well.

And perusing my Bumper Xmas Radio Times,(it wouldn't be Christmas without it!!) I see that on the 23rd December- this coming Sunday- the Beeb are airing "Loving Miss Hatto", penned by Ms.Wood, with Alfred Molina and Francesca Annis as the older Barrington-Coupe and Joyce Hatto, and Phoebe Nicholls and Rory Kinnear as their younger selves.

In the accompanying article, VW says she heard about the whole affair on Radio 3, and thought it would make a good subject for a drama. She goes on to say that it is not a documentary, but a love story. I'm sure it will be worth a watch.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      I see that on the 23rd December- this coming Sunday- the Beeb are airing "Loving Miss Hatto", penned by Ms.Wood, with Alfred Molina and Francesca Annis as the older Barrington-Coupe and Joyce Hatto, and Phoebe Nicholls and Rory Kinnear as their younger selves.

In the accompanying article, VW says she heard about the whole affair on Radio 3, and thought it would make a good subject for a drama. She goes on to say that it is not a documentary, but a love story. I'm sure it will be worth a watch.
                      http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-December-2012
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

oh dear, actors pretending to play the piano

I can feel my toes curling already

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          oh dear, actors pretending to play the piano

I can feel my toes curling already
                          Perhaps Ms Wood might play Joyce? She can play the piano!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Perhaps Ms Wood might play Joyce? She can play the piano!
                            I must admit that this thought did occur to me when first I heard of this while it was in the making. I even tried some while ago to discourage VW, for whom I have enormous admiration, from doing this, but she's gone ahead and done it anyway, so we'll just have to take it as it is, I suppose...
                            Last edited by ahinton; 19-12-12, 00:31.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              I must admit that this thought did occur to me when first i heard of this while it was in the making. I even tried some while ago to discourage VW, for whom I have enormous admiration, from doing this but she's done it anyway, so we'll just have to take it as it is, I suppose...
                              She ignored your advice? The whole thing's doomed then.......
                              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                                She ignored your advice? The whole thing's doomed then.......
                                Far from it, on all counts (such as there are any). The very notion of seeking to make a so-called "love story" out of a situation in which critics were duped, pianists' work was plundered and record companies and the record buying public were conned seems to me to be less than tenable other than as an exercise in seeing how far one can nevertheless go with such an idea. I didn't give the excellent Ms Wood "advice"; I merely registered a view on the above. It's all died down rather now - the entire Hatto story, that is - although it's never quite going to go completely away; the facts nevertheless remain and it is far from obvious that the whole history of this scheming and conmanship, especially coming as it did on the back of William Barrington-Coupe's previous suspect actiivities, has its origins in anything that could realistically and credibly be portrayed as a "love story". Anyway, make of it what you will or won't.

Comment

Working...
                                X