Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Wan't he a mate of Paddy O'Doors?

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      and in the time it took to get a reaction to that, I ordered the copland Clarinet Concerto for £2.25 inc P and P.

Ain't life sweet !!!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Wan't he a mate of Paddy O'Doors?
        Good one, ts
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

and in the time it took to get a reaction to that, I ordered the copland Clarinet Concerto for £2.25 inc P and P.

Ain't life sweet !!!
          I'll drink to that.

Comment

• Mandryka

I'd like to watch you saying that to creator Phil Redmond's face, Mandy
            I'd be more than happy to do so.

Redmond was also responsible for the bilious 'children's soap' Grange Hill, as well as Hollyoaks and other 'down with the kids' rubbish.

As a creator of innovative television, he was a great quantity surveyor (his original profession - and, boy, didn't it show!).

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
              I'd be more than happy to do so.

Redmond was also responsible for the bilious 'children's soap' Grange Hill, as well as Hollyoaks and other 'down with the kids' rubbish.

As a creator of innovative television, he was a great quantity surveyor (his original profession - and, boy, didn't it show!).
              I'm detecting a definite anti-Northern sentiment in a lot of your posts, Mandy - Alan Bennett, Victoria Wood, Phil Redmond all slagged off in no uncertain terms.

What's your problem with artistic types from the North?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

It did Liverpool a lot of damage, creating the whingeing Scouse stereotype that is still with us today.
                Scousers were whingeing long before Brookie

Is there ANYTHING you do like ?

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Ain't life sweet !!!
                  Not if you're going to listen to that, it ain't! Go get Carter's and wash the Copland out of your ears!

Comment

• Mandryka

I'm detecting a definite anti-Northern sentiment in a lot of your posts, Mandy - Alan Bennett, Victoria Wood, Phil Redmond all slagged off in no uncertain terms.

What's your problem with artistic types from the North?
                    As an 'artistic type' from the North myself (and I notice your use of the capital 'N', amsie - always a dead giveaway for patronising southern types!), I think I can claim to speak without prejudice.

But then I'd dispute your assertion that Phil Redmond constitutes an 'artistic type' - then again, from the perspective of someone anchored in in leafy, gentrified Willesden, he probably seems fruitily exotic.

Comment

• amateur51

As an 'artistic type' from the North myself (and I notice your use of the capital 'N', amsie - always a dead giveaway for patronising southern types!), I think I can claim to speak without prejudice.

But then I'd dispute your assertion that Phil Redmond constitutes an 'artistic type' - then again, from the perspective of someone anchored in in leafy, gentrified Willesden, he probably seems fruitily exotic.
                      So sorry to defy your Conan Doyle-like skills, Mandy but I also come from North of Watford, of Brum, just South of Chester in fact, so put that in your pipe and smoke it outside

So what is the root cause of your antipathy towards your fellow Northerners when they turn their minds to matters artistic, you little bundle of claws?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Its on signs.....it says "The North ". (with a capital N )
                        unless they are patronising signs......
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Its on signs.....it says "The North ". (with a capital N )
                          unless they are patronising signs......
                          That's because it's a World Heritage Site and they charge a £16 admission fee

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                            • Nov 2010

Back to the thread.

As an avid Emmerdale and Coronation Street watcher, yes some of the chatacters are OTT and caricatures. just as many of Dicken's best loved and most hated characters were/are. Like Dickens in his novels, many soap themes explore cultural, health and moral issues of the day. For example the current issue of a female character abusing her male partner in Coronation Street would never get an investigation or documentary on TV or radio but is far more prevelant than is realised. Some years ago Eastenders, which I don't watch now, did a Multiple Sclerosis storyline. There have been a number of storylines on the soaps about Dementia and have acurately portrayed the effects on familes and friends as I know from the work I do. Sometimes soaps are enjoyable escapism yet at other times really portray what goes on in real life.

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                              That's because it's a World Heritage Site and they charge a £16 admission fee
                              you are confused, and thinking of Wales and its bridge.....and that is to get out, not in !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

you are confused, and thinking of Wales and its bridge.....and that is to get out, not in !
                                Want to borrow my grand-dad's tin hat, ts?

Comment

Working...
                                X