• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Ravi Shankar dies

I heard this sad news this morning.

Sitar player Ravi Shankar, who popularised Indian music around the world, dies in hospital in the United States at the age of 92.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Another great figure gone! A great advocate of Music, bringing the culture to a (much!) wider audience outside India - and demonstrating its ability to absorb and influence Musics from other cultures. RIP and thank you.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Boilk
      • Dec 2010

A humble and refined musician. But a lot of people jumped on Shankar bandwagon once he became famous through his association with the Beatles. Without that association it is highly questionable whether he would today be credited with having "brought Indian music to the West" as is so often claimed. Other sitarists gave recitals in the West too, but they didn't get the platform he did post his Beatles association. Also, he didn't write the first big work with solo sitar and orchestra.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

FF
        can we merge these ?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          FF
          can we merge these ?

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Sorry I started a new thread without having first looked at World Music. Of course, Biolk, Indian music has been 'known' in the West for ages. If it became popularly known through Ravi Shankar's association with The Beatles that's a good thing isn't it? I think your first sentence under post#3 was spot on. A shame IMO to detract from the man's undoubted artistry on the day of his passing.

Comment

Working...
            X