X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
    For all the undeniable good he did in keeping astronomy alive, and inspiring youngsters to go into science, the BBC should have dropped him from the programme (or more likely, replaced what was HIS programme) a couple of years ago. It was quite absurd how slurring and unintelligible his autocue reading had become. You don't keep someone on at licence payer's expense just because they've become a national institution of sorts. It's quite possible no one at the BBC had the heart to axe or replace the show, being the longest running show, but that decision has now been made for them - unless they hire a new anchor.
    I wonder if he owned the programme in some contractual manner. As with Roy Plomley and Desert Island Discs.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Hmm. Mixed feelings but mainly positive. In truth, I doubt that I would have taken to him wholly as a person. At the same time, he was a reassuring presence. A teacher of the old school who might have been preferable to more modern types found in school. That though distorts time. On balance, I got on better with younger teachers in the 1970s. It is more that I wouldn't get on with younger teachers now. As for those of his era, the eccentricities could be appreciated in someone on television. Had one had to do homework for him, the impression might have been different. Many like him were either crushingly critical or almost peculiarly aloof.

But he might not have been either of those things. I didn't know him. He was in many respects an enigma. A man in his early 50s who seemed more like someone in his 70s as people in their 70s were then. Everyone is young now. There were strange paradoxes too. He was determinedly old-fashioned in presentation while an expert in what could be described as futurism. A scientist in one of the most romantic areas of science with seemingly no romance of any kind in him at all. While he will always be closely associated with Selsey, I feel there is a memorial bench to one of his parents a mile from here on Caterham Hill but is there? Spooky. I know where I will be heading this week to check for facts. Of course, there may also have been deep sadness. See Anna's comments.

I trusted him on astronomy. Whenever sensational claims were made by all the latest wannabes, I wanted his opinion. He had no need to make a name for himself. There was always more of an air of reality there. Not in an unkind way, I was always surprised he was still here and I am equally surprised that he was only 89 on his departure. On his occasional comments about women, I don't think present day wisdom is particularly relevant. Nothing is achieved by pasting it on. I felt precisely the same when a recent Prime Minister apologised for slavery. He was in those terms a character type from a completely different period. He inspired a lot of people. He probably didn't hurt many. A shrug of the shoulders seems the most sensible approach. I am sorry that he has gone.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-12-12, 19:38.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

I feel that there is a memorial bench to one of his parents a mile from here on Caterham Hill
        Is Caterham Hill anywhere East Grinstead? ( I don't possess a very geographical 'inner anorak')...
        IN 1958 as a schoolboy of 13 I visited Patrick Moore, in company with a school friend, on behalf of our school's Astronomical Society ( we had just built a large 'reflecting telescope' that struggled to penetrate the Manchester atmosphere).
        His abode was then in East Grinstead, Sussex.
        As I understand it, after his mum died, he subsequently moved house to be the director of an observatory in ARMAGH, Ireland, before finally relocating to Selsey.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
          Is Caterham Hill anywhere East Grinstead? ( I don't possess a very geographical 'inner anorak')...
          IN 1958 as a schoolboy of 13 I visited Patrick Moore, in company with a school friend, on behalf of our school's Astronomical Society ( we had just built a large 'reflecting telescope' that struggled to penetrate the Manchester atmosphere).
          His abode was then in East Grinstead, Sussex.
          As I understand it, after his mum died, he subsequently moved house to be the director of an observatory in ARMAGH, Ireland, before finally relocating to Selsey.
          Ah, thanks for that Waldhorn. It isn't many miles - 10-15? - to the north west (ish) of East Grinstead. I am sure that I have seen a bench in his mother's memory in this area. The only question now is whether it is on Caterham Hill or a little further afield.

Comment

• roberta

i must have seen 300 editions of the sky at night. he was funny and knowledgeable. his monocle was hilarious. he was a supporter of UKIP too which seems wierd that he would think about things like that when he spent most of his time staring into the universe

i will miss his programmes and i hope he rests in peace

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Sadly, I think his attitude to women (and i'm remembering a woman scientist telling me this after meeting with him) stank
              How typical of you, GongGong, to introduce a sour note.

I didn't think we were allowed to have friends or acquaintances to inform us about things, anyway. Or is that just me?

And what evidence have you for this hearsay smear? How reliable is your "scientist" who chose to gossip with you?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                How typical of you, GongGong, to introduce a sour note.

I didn't think we were allowed to have friends or acquaintances to inform us about things, anyway. Or is that just me?

And what evidence have you for this hearsay smear? How reliable is your "scientist" who chose to gossip with you?
                Mind your own business
                and if I told you wouldn't believe me anyway
                so don't selectively quote

isn't it time you went on another "mission" ?
                It's M's birthday today you know

Comment

• roberta

Mind your own business
                  so don't selectively quote

isn't it time you went on another "mission" ?
                  It's M's birthday today you know
                  what is that picture of in your avatar mrgg/

ps happy birthday!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by roberta View Post
                    what is that picture of in your avatar mrgg/

ps happy birthday!
                    Gaperon cheese

And Happy Birthday dame Judy from me as well

Comment

• Simon

Mind your own business
                      So, it was just a smear, then. Probably because he wasn't quite as politically correct as you thought he should be. Understood.

Comment

• John Wright
                        • Mar 2007

Oh, will miss him so. Someone I have watched and listened to as intently now as I did over 40 years ago.

Must mention that one Saturday lunchtime, maybe in 1972, I took my parents to the Student Union for lunch and we had a brief conversation with Patrick Moore who was there at a table with a young physically handicapped child, he said every time he was in Edinburgh he would take the child out to lunch.
                        - - -

John W

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I think, despite all his foibles, he was a plesant enough chap. Maybe his anathma towards women, may have something to do with the death of his fiancee?

RIP Sir Patrick Moore
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Heather Couper received a letter from Patrick Moore when a teenager, encouraging her to become an astronomer, saying that being a woman was not an impediment. She felt encouraged, and the rest is history.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

This is also part of his history (WHICH AGAIN doesn't take anything away from the obvious achievement of popularising astronomy )

"I would like to see two independent wavelengths - one controlled by women, and one for us, controlled by men"

"The trouble is the BBC now is run by women and it shows soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays. You wouldn't have had that in the golden days"

“the only good Kraut is a dead Kraut”

Later in the interview with the Radio Times, he conceded that good, decent Germans may exist – although he had not met any himself.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Top man,RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                X