• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I went to Birmingham today
    the new library they are building is absolutely hideous
    looks like someone got carried away with the lego again

and the old one which should have been treated well and had the plantings intended is sadly to be pulled down

Preston bus station is a great building , I have a postcard of it on my wall ...............

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Has anybody here seen Preston bus station for themselves, and seen how well (or badly) it functions?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Has anybody here seen Preston bus station for themselves, and seen how well (or badly) it functions?
        yes, i've used it
        it works fine

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          yes, i've used it
          it works fine
          its supposedly "too far from the centre etc etc," at least according to opponents, or property developers. I assume this to be a load of ****.
          I would really like to see it, but since Peston are languishing in L1 and we are in the Pl, I don't suppose that wil happen now.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

its supposedly "too far from the centre etc etc," at least according to opponents, or property developers. I assume this to be a load of ****.
            I would really like to see it, but since Peston are languishing in L1 and we are in the Pl, I don't suppose that wil happen now.
            Looking at the map to check my memory of where it is
            finds that as you say it's a load of ****

Save Preston Bus Station, Preston, Lancashire. 2,173 likes · 1 talking about this · 1,898 were here. **Not officially linked with Preston Bus Station OR its owners Lancashire County Council**

this is interesting also

Aberdeen University new library is a great building also ........

Comment

• handsomefortune

I went to Birmingham today
              the new library they are building is absolutely hideous
              looks like someone got carried away with the lego again

and the old one which should have been treated well and had the plantings intended is sadly to be pulled down

Preston bus station is a great building , I have a postcard of it on my wall ...............

not 'lego'! but mecanoo archicentral.com apparently!

i'm surprised that brum thinks it can afford it....especially as other libraries are closing.

as buildings go, it looks a bit 'wrapped', like a parcel....i wonder if that was intended

what was wrong with the old library...? it didn't look enough like a shopping mall inside presumably: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...9QEwAg&dur=574

the building next door, the rep, looks far, far more attractive imo.

harrumph.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Looking at the map to check my memory of where it is
                finds that as you say it's a load of ****

Save Preston Bus Station, Preston, Lancashire. 2,173 likes · 1 talking about this · 1,898 were here. **Not officially linked with Preston Bus Station OR its owners Lancashire County Council**

this is interesting also

Aberdeen University new library is a great building also ........
                56k people a day seems to suggest functionality.

As regards the history of Birmingham library, looks like an object lesson in how to mess things up from beginning to end. Shame though, as even the bits that were built put most that has been built in the last 30 years to shame.
                If they are going to knock things down, they could usefully start with everything built near to West Quay Road in Southampton in the last 30 years. How to screw up a city centre in one easy lesson.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Speaking of libraries, the 12-year old Peckham Library is wonderful inside, both appearance and facilities-wise, and much more roomy than its exterior suggests... though its structure always disturbs me, appearing as it does to lean precariously on the thin supports in front:

"That's the old library", my friend told me, pointing to a pink, graffiti-covered nissen hut just across the adjoining street!
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 21-12-12, 00:33. Reason: defective link

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

I've seen it but never used it.
                    Looks great IMO.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

lovely photo ER. Thanks.followed this story for little while.
                      No doubt Preston will end up with an unnecessary neo Georgian shopping centre insted.

Comment

Working...
                      X