• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Good points all

(PS - Just twigged AMs's dead ringer )
    Ultimately however you (msgs 163-165) are basing your views on axioms which themselves are open to question. Why not just say you don't like it - which at least MrGG has done. Trying to justify such dislike by some form of reasoning would only work if the foundations and logical processes used are sound, which I personally suspect is not the case.

Comment

• Simon

They don't like it because it's a way of having a go at Prince Charles and his opposition to modern crap. And because it actually looks like a building rather than a lump of rubbish. It's balanced, in proportion and pleasant - all qualities hated by the modernists.

And for GongGong - forever alleging his love of all that is modern tat in art - to describe something as "fake" is one of the best jokes of the year.

And talking about axioms: one of the most useful I've ever developed, which has never yet been proved false, is that on these boards, if S-A, Gong, Amateur and Flossie are against you, you can be sure that you're right!
      Last edited by Guest; 14-12-12, 15:16.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Ultimately however you (msgs 163-165) are basing your views on axioms which themselves are open to question. Why not just say you don't like it - which at least MrGG has done. Trying to justify such dislike by some form of reasoning would only work if the foundations and logical processes used are sound, which I personally suspect is not the case.
        It's MrGG's prerogative to state or not the reasonings for his dislike; and yours to prefer stage sets for living than arguing for good modern design.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          They don't like it because it's a way of having a go at Prince Charles and his opposition to modern crap. And because it actually looks like a building rather than a lump of rubbish. It's balanced, in proportion and pleasant - all qualities hated by the modernists.
          !

It's FAKE , it's like a Singaporean shopping arcade (and yes I have seen them )

Simon , you seem to be as knowledgeable about architecture as you are about the music of Morton Feldman ........

though of course you are NEVER wrong .......

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

It's FAKE , it's like a Singaporean shopping arcade (and yes I have seen them )

Simon , you seem to be as knowledgeable about architecture as you are about the music of Morton Feldman ........

though of course you are NEVER wrong .......

The "balanced, in proportion" bit reads like it came straight from the Ladybird book of Georgian architecture. Be fair though, if and when Charlie becomes king, he intends to be not Charles III but George VII.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              The "balanced, in proportion" bit reads like it came straight from the Ladybird book of Georgian architecture. Be fair though, if and when Charlie becomes king, he intends to be not Charles III but George VII.
              He'll always be a proper Charlie to me

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                The "balanced, in proportion" bit reads like it came straight from the Ladybird book of Georgian architecture.
                Well, it's a long time since I read Ladybird books, so I can't really comment.

You, on the other hand, will no doubt have more recent knowledge of such basic literature, so I accept your judgement on this one.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  A debate going on around here....bring it down I say....

City council decides in principle to bulldoze 1969 building, saying it is cheaper to replace it than refurbish it

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pre...,r:0,s:0,i:128
                  I agree - and, having spotted your comments on another part of the forum, also wish you all the very best in the coming weeks.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    A debate going on around here....bring it down I say....

City council decides in principle to bulldoze 1969 building, saying it is cheaper to replace it than refurbish it

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pre...,r:0,s:0,i:128
                    It's a splendid building, with a strong classical feel in the strength of the vertical & horizontal elements (think of the side elevation of the Parthenon, with its columns standing on the horizontals of the stepped base).
                    What the article doesn't mention (& the one that I read did) is that in a poll of residents of Preston it was the most popular building.

(I was going to reply to Simon's post about the Poundbury fire-station, but I can't be bothered. He obviously has no understanding of what good or bad architecture is, & I've got better things to do than try & teach him)

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

I suppose I would want to see Preston Bus station for myself, and also how it functions, before joining a campaign.

But there are an awful lot of buildings more deserving of the bulldozer.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

The Palace of Parliament - a thorough history and overview of Bucharest's most notorious building

Oops!

Sorreee - off-topic!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Not unlike this - http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...whitehall1.jpg, or this - http://www.publicintelligence.net/wp...09/07/mi63.png

The second is definitely one I'd demolish (it shouldn't have been built for a number of reasons).

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

While we are enjoying a side-trip to eastern Europe, perhaps this building should be looked at - http://albanianpyramids.files.wordpr...-pa341313.jpeg - the Enver Hoxha pyramid in Tirana. Although there are moves to demolish it there is a view locally that it should be retained because of its originality & historic significance.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                              And because it actually looks like a building rather than a lump of rubbish. It's balanced, in proportion and pleasant
                              Just dropped back into this thread for the latest on Poundbury

Simon, whatever else you might say about this building, the one thing you can't claim is that it is in proportion (I assume you mean with its surroundings, not in itself?). It is grotesquely out of proportion with the surrounding buildings, dwarfing its Legoland neighbours (not apparent in the photo which is just of the building). I can't make out whether you've actually been there. It is a colossus on the Poundbury skyline. Obviously it has to be of a certain size to accommodate fire engines, but it's not every village that has a fire station and I have no idea why this was put here.

Comment

Working...
                              X