Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

The Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth would be a popular choice.
    The fact that the council had it demolished rather makes me think that it did in fact have some merit, not least because it was replaced, I think, with a huge car park which is very expensive.

At least in the Tricorn club you could see the occasional decent band.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Eggs ?
      No - but battery farms would be on my list. I only buy Happy Eggs.

teamsaint - What do you think of Gunwharf Keys?

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        No - but battery farms would be on my list. I only buy Happy Eggs.

teamsaint - What do you think of Gunwharf Keys?
        As a shopping centre goes, I have seen worse buildings, though its bland at best. But apart from that its everything that is dreadful about modern retailing and town "planning".It just says "Come here, leave your wallet at the door, support needy big corporations, and sod everybody else.". Yuck.
        Quite why people drive from the other side of Southampton for a "designer Bargain" is something I will never understand. Although on my one visit I did pick up a rather decent "Crew " sweatshirt for a fiver !
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

I only buy Happy Eggs.
          Not I - when I did, I couldn't help thinking as I approached the frrying pan, "This'll wipe the smile of your face!"
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

One of the people I shared a house with as a student had a peculiar aversion to eggs. He had some discomfort about the easiness of modern life. It occasionally led to thoughts that he should learn to skin a rabbit. At the same time, he felt that anyone eating an egg was likely to find an animal suddenly springing from the yoke.

I don't think Gunwharf Keys is too bad. In a yuppie sort of way, it is quite pleasant. I found it calming by the water's edge. It seems to me to be the kind of place which would not be particularly attractive at night to anyone over the age of, say, 23.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

One of the people I shared a house with as a student had a peculiar aversion to eggs. He had some discomfort about the easiness of modern life. It occasionally led to thoughts that he should learn to skin a rabbit. At the same time, he felt that anyone eating an egg was likely to find an animal suddenly springing from the yoke.

I don't think Gunwharf Keys is too bad. In a yuppie sort of way, it is quite pleasant. I found it calming by the water's edge. It seems to me to be the kind of place which would not be particularly attractive at night to anyone over the age of, say, 23.

Most of Britains towns and cities probably fall into this group Lat.
              It may be one way in which London is more civilised than the rest of the country?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

battery farms would be on my list
                Mine, too - but then they shouldn't have been built anywhere...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  [/B]

Most of Britains towns and cities probably fall into this group Lat.
                  It may be one way in which London is more civilised than the rest of the country?
                  Erm.........well, those in the mejia around Leicester Square will tell you that at 2am it is reminiscent of the blitz. My experience two years and twenty odd years back is that it is better to be in London than being in Croydon, Guildford, Reading, you name it. It is the getting back on public transport I would now find very difficult. A very unpleasant 90 minutes plus. People can never believe that it takes that time but it is a good half an hour by public transport just up the local hill including the wait for the bus at 1am.

There is that part-perception, part-reality thing, isn't there? Where there are tourists in large numbers, all going off to different places, it feels more open and relaxed. And then there is definitely the distinction between hobby like interests and the dating circus. The latter is very obvious in the provinces. Expect bouncers on the three or four doors, arguments, hysteria and fights.

I used to feel quite happy with the idea that in London people were going to pubs for a quiet drink, restaurants, concerts, theatre, art galleries, sport. If someone transported me now to my favourite football pub or to a concert venue even in Brixton or Kentish Town, it would seem ok enough. That sense of "our" people, arriving and leaving in large numbers, all with some sharing of interest and none of it competitive. Europe though is better. Spain, France. That is how it seemed to me. It might be different now.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Europe though is better
                    You mean "the rest of Europe"!...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      You mean "the rest of Europe"!...
                      I do.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Telegraph poles and pylons - yes they are almost invisible aren't they, so accustomed are we to them.
                        Almost invisible? They totally dominate the landscape they occupy. In the 1960s, they put them along the Woodhead Pass between Manchester and Sheffield, but shortly afterwards sunk some of the wires through the old Woodhead railway tunnel, which was a good idea in that it removed over three miles of pylons.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

At the same time, he felt that anyone eating an egg was likely to find an animal suddenly springing from the yoke.
                          Is that the yoke of oppression?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Telegraph poles and pylons - yes they are almost invisible aren't they.
                            Hardly

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                              • Nov 2010

And in Brighton we had this monster shovelled on to the sea front:

which replaced this:

Even on a sunny day the Brighton Centre festers like a long-dead albatross.
                              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                Is that the yoke of oppression?
                                I'm afraid that yolk is in very poor taste - it obviously springs from an addled brain.

Comment

Working...
                                X