Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        'Free' schools

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          Trident

The 'Lovers' statue St Pancras....
          It seems that substantial parts of Trident may have been kindly built for us by our American chums, and that the British government told some porkies about this.
          Hard to believe, I know.

The Salisbury park and ride scheme.(in the form that it is, nothing in essence wrong with P and R).
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

I think a "Things you are glad got built, or would like to see built in Britain "thread would be nice too.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              I used to think they were quite beautiful, & essential, but when I was coming back from Rome we flew* quite low over some, & it was obvious how much damage the infrastructure - roads, foundations etc - did. So I'm now not so sure about them. And when they are so ubiquitous that I can stand at the highest point in my local park & see them wherever I look their beauty becomes somewhat diminished. As for the ones at sea, the damage the construction and foundations do to the seabed must also be not insignificant.

*There's a moral in this somewhere
              Following up on 8th, I may have said this before, but why do they have to be in pristine white? Paint them green, camouflage colours, sky blue - that would make their monocultural uniformity less intrusive on landscapes!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                The Angel of the North...
                Now why didn't I think of that? It's the best example of The Emperor's New Clothes I can think of. It's rusting away much too slowly.
                Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 06-12-12, 18:37.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  It's NOT on the roof of the RFH it's on the lovely QEH
                  and is this rather wonderful project ........... as mentioned before

There always was a roof garden on the RFH
                  BUT it was closed many years before the restoration due to the height of the balustrade
                  now it has been reopened
                  Mr GongGong,

Are you sure? I have a funny feeling that the RFH has acquired one as well, or maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Would a regular like to check?

My next concert is at the Barbican, so I won't be able to look for a while.

Bws.
                  Ferret

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    Mr GongGong,

Are you sure? I have a funny feeling that the RFH has acquired one as well, or maybe my eyes are deceiving me. Would a regular like to check?

My next concert is at the Barbican, so I won't be able to look for a while.

Bws.
                    Ferret
                    I'm either going up to Tate Modern to buy some Xmas cards, either tomorrow or early next week, Ferret.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Mr GongGong
                      I've just looked at the QEH "penthouse flat" photo and it's design is quite different to the one I mean.The new construction sits on the north side of the RFH, perching on
                      the downstream side of the facade.

Serial-Apologist
                      Thanks for that, happy shopping! ( The lunches are quite good! )

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        Mr GongGong
                        I've just looked at the QEH "penthouse flat" photo and it's design is quite different to the one I mean.The new construction sits on the north side of the RFH, perching on
                        the downstream side of the facade.

Serial-Apologist
                        Thanks for that, happy shopping! ( The lunches are quite good! )
                        aaaaha I hadn't noticed it when I was there on Monday
                        I think it's a "pop up" restaurant

ad had (wrongly) assumed that you meant the "ship" on the roof ........... sorry for that

but it looks rather good to me .....

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Following up on 8th, I may have said this before, but why do they have to be in pristine white? Paint them green, camouflage colours, sky blue - that would make their monocultural uniformity less intrusive on landscapes!

From this BBC website in answer to your question.... Most turbines are painted pure white or light grey, in a bid to make them as visually unobtrusive as possible. !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9067000/9067721.stm

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                            From this BBC website in answer to your question.... [COLOR=#464646][FONT=verdana][B][I]Most turbines are painted pure white or light grey, in a bid to make them as visually unobtrusive as possible.
                            I'm not particularly offended by the appearance of wind turbines. Far better than those hideous and ugly grey pylons that ruin our rural landscapes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                              From this BBC website in answer to your question.... Most turbines are painted pure white or light grey, in a bid to make them as visually unobtrusive as possible. !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9067000/9067721.stm

I would have suggested "as visually obtrusive as possible", ie so that pilots don't miss 'em!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                I'm not particularly offended by the appearance of wind turbines. Far better than those hideous and ugly grey pylons that ruin our rural landscapes.
                                Power cables can be put underground & therefore cause virtually no disturbance to the landscape; it's too much trouble for the power companies to do so so they pretend that it's 'uneconomic' (ie it reduces their profits).

The M8 through the middle of Glasgow

The M74 extension/completion

Comment

Working...
                                X