X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Like the dreary royal family we seem to be unable to elect (or rather anyone with anything about them seems to avoid politics , and who would blame them ?) anyone with a modicum of personality or integrity

sad about the Chumbas ............
    We aren't allowed to have anybody with the qualities you would like.
    Would have liked to see the Chumbas again..saw them twice, and for all that just occasionally they could grate on me a little , they were mostly a fine refereshing change. "A singsong and a Scrap " is a very fine record indeed.
    Oh and I see (well overheard)the royals are breeding again....which , along with owning too much stuff , is the point.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Major was responsible for railway privatisation and rushing it through before the 1997 election even though he knews it was extremely unpopular .

He should be in the Tower IMO .

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Major was responsible for railway privatisation and rushing it through before the 1997 election even though he knews it was extremely unpopular .

He should be in the Tower IMO .
        ... as should Kinnock for throwing away the 1992 election.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          I'm sure they'd be fascinated to encounter your penetrating intellectual insights...

Oh I was thinking of inviting you along for that, Simon

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            ... as should Kinnock for throwing away the 1992 election.
            and blair for handing control of the economy to the B of E, and invading foreign countries and supporting the arms trade and the banks.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Simon,

What are your private passions ?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                and blair for handing control of the economy to the B of E, and invading foreign countries and supporting the arms trade and the banks.
                Somehow I suspect that the taxpayer would very soon be called upon to fund the planning and building of a substantial extension to that tower in order that it become sufficiently large to accommodate all those deserving of being sent there, again, at the taxpayers' expense...

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Somehow I suspect that the taxpayer would very soon be called upon to fund the planning and building of a substantial extension to that tower in order that it become sufficiently large to accommodate all those deserving of being sent there, again, at the taxpayers' expense...
                  well that is a tax I am happy to be pay. probably be self financing , with all the crooks off the streets !

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

well that is a tax I am happy to be pay. probably be self financing , with all the crooks off the streets !
                    Don't you think that it would be wise to ascertain the total cost of the planning, building and maintenance (not to mention the inconvenience to the public while the second of those is being carried out) before deciding whether you could even afford, let alone be "happy", to pay it?!

Whether it would be self-financing might depend upon whether many more paying tourists would visit thereafter, I suppose...

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Caution to the wind on this one AH. If we can afford Trident, the olympics, another royal baby, HS2, we can afford this !!
                      Lets do it .

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Caution to the wind on this one AH. If we can afford Trident
                        We can't and in any case shouldn't.

the olympics
                        We couldn't and I don't know how that particular investment risk has nevertheless worked out.

another royal baby
                        I'm not paying for that anyway!

HS2
                        I'm not sure that we can afford that - or Crossrail - but since most of Britain's train system's pretty antiquated, we probably have little choice.

we can afford this !! Lets do it .
                        As I said, much will depend on (a) the as yet undetermined total cost and (b) what additional revenue that it would bring in.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

As regards the trains, best (and more cost effective)to sort out what we have first before we send £34Bn west (or North West) IMO.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

As regards the trains, best (and more cost effective)to sort out what we have first before we send £34Bn west (or North West) IMO.
                            What, you mean the entire remainder of the network, along with the seasonal leaves thereon? Blimey! - that'd make the £34Bn estimated cost of medium-speed-2 look pretty small, surely?!...

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

What, you mean the entire remainder of the network, along with the seasonal leaves thereon? Blimey! - that'd make the £34Bn estimated cost of medium-speed-2 look pretty small, surely?!...
                              would it? the hythe extension reopening in Hampshire is costed at under £2m, for example..
                              HS 2 will whisk business folk to Brum 20 minutes quicker or something. Birmingham is 150 miles from london. Madness, when there is so much else to do.
                              Anyway, I fear we are off topic quite badly....

Comment

• amateur51

Here he is again with his tax diversions

Is no thread to be safe from the Demon Taxman of Hereford?

Comment

Working...
                                X