• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Well, Norma Major did write the authorized biography of Joan Sutherland, didn't she ?
    Oh, yes! They never invite her as a guest, do they?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Well, Norma Major did write the authorized biography of Joan Sutherland, didn't she ?
      Which to me is a link to the "music that makes you laugh" thread

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I gave up listening to this programme when they stopped inviting guests who had a 'passion' for classical music .

Next week ... Caroline Charles (Not known. Is this the fashion designer? Yes - I've just looked up the R3 site. I'm a bit baffled by the thought "...'September' from Strauss's Four Last Songs, which Caroline has used in her shows to accompany the bridal display..." The Hesse poem seems a bit mournful for a bridal display, doesn't it?)

To me, it's either about the music or about the individual. I'm personally not interested if it's mainly about the person or if the choice of music is a mix of non-classical with a small scattering of classical pot-boilers. Back in the past, I was introduced to some works I didn't know by knowledgeable guests.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I gave up listening to this programme when they stopped inviting guests who had a 'passion' for classical music .

Next week ... Caroline Charles (Not known. Is this the fashion designer? Yes - I've just looked up the R3 site. I'm a bit baffled by the thought "...'September' from Strauss's Four Last Songs, which Caroline has used in her shows to accompany the bridal display..." The Hesse poem seems a bit mournful for a bridal display, doesn't it?)

To me, it's either about the music or about the individual. I'm personally not interested if it's mainly about the person or if the choice of music is a mix of non-classical with a small scattering of classical pot-boilers. Back in the past, I was introduced to some works I didn't know by knowledgeable guests.
          May I be permitted to agree with you 100%?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Did Sir John, who I'm pretty sure is nowhere near the straight-forward ordinary bloke that some seem to think, mention his new book about the music halls, perchance?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Did Sir John, who I'm pretty sure is nowhere near the straight-forward ordinary bloke that some seem to think, mention his new book about the music halls, perchance?
              The R£ - oops! R3 - site does. Just in time for Christmas. Amazon will send it gift-wrapped
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                The R£ - oops! R3 - site does. Just in time for Christmas. Amazon will send it gift-wrapped
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Old-Man-P...4462167&sr=1-1 - never let it be said

I was checking rather that PP was not becoming like a chat show where the 'guests' all have something to promote or sell.

Aside from self-serving autobiographies, is there another British politician of recent times aside from Major (history of cricket and the aforementioned volume) and Hurd (thrillers and a book on the Foreign Office) who have published books that they've written?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  It was mentioned by Michael Berkeley in the context of his (Major's) father's life and JM was asked to read a rather moving blurb from the back of the book.

If - and let's just pretend for a moment eh? - you could invite a Prime Minister round to dinner which one would you choose from the last 70 years?
                  Macmillan
                  Douglas Home
                  Wilson
                  Callaghan
                  Thatcher
                  Major
                  Blair
                  Brown
                  Cameron

For my money I'd reckon I could quite happily share a 3-courser with John Major over and above any of the others.
                  Some of the others - no names, no packdrill - would have me counting the cutlery after they left.
                  O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                    It was mentioned by Michael Berkeley in the context of his (Major's) father's life and JM was asked to read a rather moving blurb from the back of the book.

If - and let's just pretend for a moment eh? - you could invite a Prime Minister round to dinner which one would you choose from the last 70 years?
                    Macmillan
                    Douglas Home
                    Wilson
                    Callaghan
                    Thatcher
                    Major
                    Blair
                    Brown
                    Cameron

For my money I'd reckon I could quite happily share a 3-courser with John Major over and above any of the others.
                    Some of the others - no names, no packdrill - would have me counting the cutlery after they left.
                    I notice that you've left out Heath, the only one who might have been a member of FoR3 , and Eden

I think Macmillan and Major and salymap and french frank would make an engaging table

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

I notice that you've left out Heath, the only one who might have been a member of FoR3 , and Eden
                      And Churchill and Attlee. Not much of a word in edgeways with Churchill....

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post

Macmillan
                        Douglas Home
                        Wilson
                        Callaghan
                        Thatcher
                        Major
                        Blair
                        Brown
                        Cameron

Blair...so I could punch him on the nose.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                          And Churchill and Attlee. Not much of a word in edgeways with Churchill....
                          Absolutely right, aeolium.

There was a story (aprocryphal?) of someone being invited to lunch at the height of the war with the great man whom he found was already tucking into steak & kidney pie and a rather fine red burgundy when he arrived on-time.

He noticed too that Churchill was also smoking on a large cigar and nibbling on some rather good chocolate in between mouthsful of pie, all commodities in considerable shortage at the time.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                            Blair...so I could punch him on the nose.
                            Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                            But it would be pleasant to read a post that didn't always have a political 'let's bash' sting-in-the-tale. It does get a tad boring.
                            How quickly they forget

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                              • Nov 2010

Whoops - apologies for missing out Heath, Atlee, Churchill and Eden.

I once bumped into Heath at Glyndebourne after he left office. He looked glum.
                              Macmillan, who employed me for a short while when he was still head of his publishing house, was avuncular in extremis.
                              O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• subcontrabass
                                • Nov 2010

One of my uncles had the unique distinction of being at school with Heath and at his Oxford college with Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                                X