X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Lord Patten speaks

In the light of the BBC's recent "difficulties" you may be interested in this:

it is the text of a speech by Patten yesterday at the Voice of the Listener and Viewer [VLV] winter conference in London. He was robust in his delivery and also in the Q&A that followed despite some equally robust questioning from Ray Snoddy. Today he faces the House Select Committee about payoff issues among other things. Newspaper reporting of the speech has been predictable.

The VLV was able to attract Patten because of its reputation; it has campaigned successfully on media issues over the last 25 years. See its web site here:

Do you care about broadcasting?If so, support VLV which represents the interests of audiences to make sure we all continue to benefit from universal access ...
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
    In the light of the BBC's recent "difficulties" you may be interested in this:

it is the text of a speech by Patten yesterday at the Voice of the Listener and Viewer [VLV] winter conference in London.
    Thanks, Gordon. I've had a quick look and will study it more closely later.

[VLV, of course, started off as a sort of "FoR4" - defending the standards of Radio 4 ...]
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

The sentence that made me wince most was "The BBC, with its particular public service mission and its commitment to impartiality and a spread of different opinions, is a positive addition to the plurality of our media". That makes the BBC sound like an add-on rather than the first and foremost broadcasting service in the world.

Then "George was determined to try to deal with the problems of disparate siloes and of warring tribes. He wanted to establish a culture of self-criticism........". In other words, the DG must not wherever possible be in the firing line for criticism himself.

The crisis was one that appeared in a "clear blue sky". "Hollow Crown", "Parade's End", the Olympics......well, yes indeed, they were all good allegedly. But there were a few fluffy clouds too weren't there, particularly during the Jubilee celebrations! And severe cuts to all radio apart from Radio 4 - savage in the case of local radio - had hardly suggested the perfect summer.

There is more than a hint of complacency. However, if Lord Patten, with his rarefied air, can re-establish a sense that there is nothing much in essence for the Government to do, then I would still choose him over someone with a background in cheese marketing. The appointment of Hall should be helpful in that regard. One would hope for quiet and steady reform from him.

In the circumstances, I feel that Cameron and Co should for once be applauded. They haven't become hysterical and have expressed a belief in the BBC being able to manage its problems effectively. That is far better than I would have expected. I am a little wary of just how good it sounds but perhaps for now they should be given the benefit of the doubt.

"The BBC and All That" has been a wonderful way of celebrating the BBC's 90th. A really fantastic programme. And while it is sometimes difficult to know quite what to make of Paul Gambaccini, "Music in the Air - History of Music Radio" has been excellent too. It is a great pity that episodes of both series are not being made accessible on the I-Player for more than a few days.

Roger Eckersley's memoirs of life behind the scenes in the new Broadcasting House of 1932

Last edited by Guest; 28-11-12, 17:52. Reason: Problems with the acowstics!!

Comment

Working...
      X