X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Shelton
    • Sep 2024

India v England 2nd Test

Wonderful 186 from Pietersen (and lovely 1st innings bowling by Panesar).

What does Stuart Broad do in the England team? Apart from run out Prior who could have made 50 +, take no wickets, show no control or intelligence while bowling, and pout a lot.

What does Onions need to do to get in the side? If Finn isn't fit; maybe even if he is, given Onions's wicket to wicket accuracy. But every England team ... Stuart Broad.
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Yes, Broad is hopeless. He should have been dropped ages ago. I'm not sure about Onions; supposedly he was not bowling with much rhythm in the warm-up games and these are not pitches that will suit his type of bowling. Perhaps for this test they could have played another spinner (Tredwell?) or another batsman (Morgan) to shore up the weak middle order and tail, though relying on Patel to do 4th bowler's duties may be risky.

It might be a tense chase for England tomorrow - India five down and have only just cleared the deficit.

Comment

• John Shelton

India 31 ahead with 7 down at close of play. Surely England can't get this wrong?

How beautifully Panesar has bowled. For me (and from watching a small amount of county cricket) he's the best spinner in the country.

My thought with Onions was that if the next wicket is lower in bounce his wicket to wicket approach might be effective. Might Finn be fit?

Broad's continued selection is certainly a mystery to me. Perhaps they will finally make their minds up to dropping him.

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

England really ought to close this out in the morning session tomorrow, but I expect there will still be some anxious moments !!

Cook continues to astound with the consistent and sustained quality of his batting under pressure and this was key to enabling KP to establish himself at the crease and play the way he did - I hope KP has finally realised that controlled aggression is the key to making the most of his ability. Great to see a series where spinners are to the fore and batsmen have to work really hard for their runs. Swann and Panesar are now bowling well in tandem and pitches such as this one bring the best out of Monty in that the ball will grip and turn at the naturally quicker pace that he prefers to bowl at. Monty may turn out to be the more successfull bowler in this series, but I still think Swann is the better all round bowler on all pitches.

With regard to Finn, I believe the plan is to test out his fitness in the 'A' game before the next Test - if all goes well he will surely take the petulant and ineffective SB's place.

Once again, this series and the Aus v SA series are showing why Test Cricket remains the most satisfying and challenging form of the game.

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
          Once again, this series and the Aus v SA series are showing why Test Cricket remains the most satisfying and challenging form of the game.

Cook's consistency and calm temperament are remarkable. I agree batting with that controlled aggression brings out the best in KP, but I'm sure there will be future frustrations. But unquestionably the performance of a great batsman.

My feeling about Panesar is that he is so improved; dictates his own terms (fields, etc.). I also feel with orthodox finger spinners (no mystery ball turning the other way) unless the opposition top order is dominated by left handers then left arm spin is more effective. Tends to be supported by other team's selections I think? Lovely to see a spinning Test Match.

Comment

Working...
          X