Does the disenfranchisement of UK prisoners make them all Political prisoners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    I meant people other than those who have expressed views already. That is what I meant by now. They have not been prevented from doing so but some might be dissuaded by another dozen contributions from me or anyone else.

That's my decision on what I am doing. Everyone else can decide what is appropriate from their point of view. In any case, I hope to be going for a walk and a meal somewhere later and also have a light fitting to fix.
    Thank you for that. Enjoy your day, which I trust you will find illuminating and enlightening.

In the meantime, perhaps the most pragmatic and non-side-taking answer to the question posed in this thread is that, whether or not such disenfranchisement makes all prisoners political ones, it is in any case wrong in principle in all instances other than those where prisoners have specifically been convicted of electoral fraud; the reason for this is that, if that disenfranchisement has no direct connection with the crime committed by the prisoner, it has no business to be imposed and therefore represents a withdrawal of a fundamental human right that has no credible place as part of a punishment for the crime concerned.

David Cameron stated some time ago that the prospect of restoring prisoner's voting rights made him feel sick; shall we therefore all have a whip-round to buy him some sick bags in advance of the overturning of this regrettable blot on the British judicial landscape?

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      David Cameron stated some time ago that the prospect of restoring prisoner's voting rights made him feel sick; shall we therefore all have a whip-round to buy him some sick bags in advance of the overturning of this regrettable blot on the British judicial landscape?

David Cameron makes me feel sick but I don't expect him to care about that at all , and given his pathological empathy bypass i'm rather pleased that he does feel that way

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        and as for America....
        Yes. Approximately 20% of all known prisoners worldwide are in the USA.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Lateral, the following countries all allow prisoners to vote - Australia, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Sweden, Zimbabwe and Hong Kong. How come they can cope with out any problem, but the UK couldn't?
          There's an interesting practical point. I would have thought it was much easier to allow prisoners to vote than to prevent them.

No one is allowed to vote unless they are on the/an electoral register. Anyone who fills in the registration form can include the name of a prisoner normally resident at that address. Anyone on the register can apply for a proxy vote, so they don't need to have a ballot paper posted c/o HMP. I would have thought it was administratively more difficult to ensure this does not happen than simply to allow prisoners a vote in their home constituency.

I don't think it would breach human rights to specify certain crimes which would deny the offender the right to vote - whether the criminal was imprisoned for the crime or not (esp. electoral fraud).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            ...I don't think it would breach human rights to specify certain crimes which would deny the offender the right to vote - whether the criminal was imprisoned for the crime or not (esp. electoral fraud).
            In effect, this is what the ECHR said. They did not say we had to allow prisoners to vote; they said we breached the Convention by imposing a blanket ban on any convicted prisoner voting.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Yes. Approximately 20% of all known prisoners worldwide are in the USA.
              That is a staggering number ... is there any information around of how many there may be in, say, China, even a 'guesstimate' ... ?

Comment

• Hornspieler
                Late Member
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                There's an interesting practical point. I would have thought it was much easier to allow prisoners to vote than to prevent them.

No one is allowed to vote unless they are on the/an electoral register. Anyone who fills in the registration form can include the name of a prisoner normally resident at that address. Anyone on the register can apply for a proxy vote, so they don't need to have a ballot paper posted c/o HMP. I would have thought it was administratively more difficult to ensure this does not happen than simply to allow prisoners a vote in their home constituency.

I don't think it would breach human rights to specify certain crimes which would deny the offender the right to vote - whether the criminal was imprisoned for the crime or not (esp. electoral fraud).
                At last the voice of reason! Thank you, FF.

Perhaps some message boarders who have already stated their position on this topic (and one of them at least repeatedly and annoyingly) will put a sock in it.

HS

.... and possibly have something worthwhile to contribute to the output of Radio 3? Or don't they "do" music?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                  That is a staggering number ... is there any information around of how many there may be in, say, China, even a 'guesstimate' ... ?
                  Yes, it is staggering. The figure in the US is about 2.3m and represents 737 per 100,000 of population. This gives the 2008 position (I don't have anything more recent):

The China figure is about 1.6m (118 per 100,000), but that does not include political prisoners, about whom China is very shy. So the true figure isn't known.

Here's some BBC info that shows the UK situation. I can't see what the date is though, and the figures aren't an exact match, but the picture tallies well enough:

Visit BBC News for up-to-the-minute news, breaking news, video, audio and feature stories. BBC News provides trusted World and UK news as well as local and regional perspectives. Also entertainment, business, science, technology and health news.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                    At last the voice of reason! Thank you, FF.

Perhaps some message boarders who have already stated their position on this topic (and one of them at least repeatedly and annoyingly) will put a sock in it.

HS

.... and possibly have something worthwhile to contribute to the output of Radio 3? Or don't they "do" music?
                    Its a thread about prisoners' voting rights on a general board.
                    As far as I can see all of the contributors to this thread contribute on music too, though I don't think that is an actual stipulation of being a member !

"Putting a sock in it" ....I thought the point of a discussion forum was to discuss different points of view.
                    This particular issue is tricky..worth mulling over...one where we might learn from the views and experiences of others.Isn't it?
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 24-11-12, 17:19.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                      I hadn't noticed anything particularly annoying about the contributions here (though I disagree with some).

Members aren't required to post about music (Radio 3 is wider in scope than that) and I don't know that any of the present members confine themselves to political discussions. But those who aren't interested in exchanging views on political issues or current affairs should probably stick to other topics. We ought all to be interested in what other people say, if for no other reason than that it tells us so much about them.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        Thank you for the information but that is up to them. It is probably the case in Scandinavia that all prisoners are studying for qualifications in classrooms, have career advisers and all kinds of anti-discriminatory laws on their release.
                        Quite possibly - if that's the case then their prison system is rather more enlightened than ours, & probably has a lower re-offending rate.

But it's not a response I would have expected from you, Lateral; rather what I would expect from Simon or Scotty.

Comment

• Simon

But it's not a response I would have expected from you, Lateral; rather what I would expect from Simon or Scotty.
                          That's not very affable, if I may say so. Lat's contributions are generally logical and valid - and certainly always interesting - and I think that Scotty and I would agree with most of them. Why should his making a rational and sensible comment be so unexpected to you?

Comment

• scottycelt

Welcome to the rock-bottom of politically-unacceptable forum opinion, Lateral ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                              That's not very affable, if I may say so. Lat's contributions are generally logical and valid - and certainly always interesting - and I think that Scotty and I would agree with most of them. Why should his making a rational and sensible comment be so unexpected to you?
                              I think that it was the supercillious & dismissive tone that made me think of you.

Comment

• Simon

I think that it was the supercillious & dismissive tone that made me think of you.
                                Now that's better, Flossie! Nice reply! I give you that point, willingly!

Comment

Working...
                                X