• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
    One of the comments: Symphonic/Classical music would have much greater appeal if given this wonderful type of treatment. Fantastic! Great memory from the great 70s!
    Nah, this is the real thing!

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Classic indeed

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

Yes, that is absolutely dreadful, but they must (surely?) know it is.

The comment that Pianorak posted above is frightening, from the pov that people could really think that. There were many more comments, equally bad or even worse, that pianorak could have chosen.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

The comment that Pianorak posted above is frightening, from the pov that people could really think that. There were many more comments, equally bad or even worse, that pianorak could have chosen.
          As the poster rightly indicates, the Portsmouth Sinfonia's Classical Muddley was a conscious comment on the Hooked on Classics stuff released in the late '70s. All the samples included are taken from their previous LPs but with added Hooked on Classics style drum machine. The Waldo Mozart 40 was from an earlier era/error. I rate the very real enthusiasm of the Portsmouth Sinfonia much, much higher, indeed in a totally different category, to the slick Waldo stuff.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... probably not many branches of Richer Sounds near Béziers, tho' ...
            You're right there, Vints...that's my problem being in the sticks of Provence and one of the reasons why I thought it would be easier to buy a complete outfit. I hear that one particular TEAC CD player has a very good recommendation for about 500 euros...I might just buy that to begin with and fit it up with my existing old speakers, then buy some decent new speakers once I have learnt up a bit more.

Anyway, thanks folks, for all your interesting advice and experiences...keep them coming!

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I learned by bitter experience, RM. I went on a hi fi buying spree in the 70s, and asked the same question. The salesman produced this record which has haunted my nightmares ever since. I think you got off lightly in comparison.

DISCLAIMER: Do not follow the link if you are of a nervous disposition.
              Good heavens yes - the idea of having to listen to Mozart would certainly give me nightmares!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                You're right there, Vints...that's my problem being in the sticks of Provence and one of the reasons why I thought it would be easier to buy a complete outfit.
                Do you make an occasional trip to the UK? Richer sounds does have a website, & they do packages of seperate components. Of course, you wouldn't be able to listen before buying, but you might be able to discuss what you want by email.
                Last edited by Flosshilde; 18-11-12, 00:55.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  Do you make an occasional trip to the UK? Richer sounds does have a website, & they do packages of seperate components. Of course, you wouldn't be able to listen before buying, but you might be able to discuss what you want by email.
                  If you've got £1000 then I agree seperates are the answer and my main system is that but in the kitchen I have a £200 Yamaha CD/DAB/FM/USB box with adequate speakers which sounds remarkably good to my ageing ears!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    [...] trust your own ears not some nonsense in a magazine about oxygen-free-copper-crystal-enhanced-cable-hand-picked-by-virgins-in-the-moonlight

Comment

• Russ_H
                      • Mar 2012

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

A good wiki article bar its failure to mention the 'split' from the orchestra of the Ross and Cromarty Orchestra which specialized in waltzes. However, be wary of the entry regarding the Portsmouth Sinfonia in Jolyon Laycock's A Changing role for the Composer in Society. the Promenade Theatre Orchestra was no offshoot of the Portsmouth Sinfonia. That ensemble was much more closely associated with the Scratch Orchestra, though not part of it.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          Thanks for the tip, Flosshilde....yes, I do occasionally come over and will give the Richer Sounds website a look, it might well give me the help I am looking for.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

MickyD...you could dip into avforums.com There are many threads such as this one which pose a similar question to your own.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

A good wiki article bar its failure to mention the 'split' from the orchestra of the Ross and Cromarty Orchestra which specialized in waltzes. However, be wary of the entry regarding the Portsmouth Sinfonia in Jolyon Laycock's A Changing role for the Composer in Society. the Promenade Theatre Orchestra was no offshoot of the Portsmouth Sinfonia. That ensemble was much more closely associated with the Scratch Orchestra, though not part of it.
                              Brian Eno and Michael Nyman were members of the PS - Whatever happened to them>

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Brian Eno and Michael Nyman were members of the PS - Whatever happened to them>

http://www.portsmouthsinfonia.com/me...telegraph.html
                                Do bear in mind that both fell into the category of accomplished instrumentalists who had taken the option of playing on a type of instrument new to them. Gavin Bryars cheated a bit re. this issue. His principal instrument was and remains the double bass. In the Portsmouth Sinfonia he played cello.

Comment

Working...
                                X