X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    I reckon the reason I don't succumb to coughs and colds is that I sleep with the windows open and put on another jumper rather than the heating. Spartan is what I am!
    ... I think the Spartans put their girl children out in the open air for reasons that were far from health-giving...

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I remember the shock I got when, at the age of 8, we moved to Swindon and on my first bus trip in the town was confronted with a large notice at the front of the upper deck, "Spitting Prohibited". It had never occurred to me that anyone would even consider spitting in a bus. I had never seen a similar notice on a London bus.
      ... clearly unaware of the limerick :

There was a young man from Darjeeling
      Who rode on a train out to Ealing:
      The sign on the door
      Read 'Don't spit on the floor'
      So he carefully spat on the ceiling.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        I didn't realise that. And from the stands?
        Remarkable aim some of the fans have.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Blimey frenchie. That could have come straight out of Dickens or Hardy .... But did she eventually get up and walk?
          We-e-ell, Anna. I subsequently heard - decades later, that she did just that. In fact she could walk, I think, at the time, so I'm not quite sure why she took her Sunday school class from her bed . I remember picking a bee orchid and taking it to her to ask what it was ... and she very gently told me off

What I did hear was that, after both her parents died, she lived a normal life - probably moving out of the shed into the main house.

Doctors, hospitals, antibiotics - avoid if you can ... (hello, Flay! )
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Doctors, hospitals, antibiotics - avoid if you can ... (hello, Flay! )
            I think Flay agrees, he accepts hospitals are too hot and stuffy.
            I was rather glad I could show off my knowledge of King James Acts 3-6
            But, your poor little urchin face, with a pudding basin haircut, and probably the toes cut out of your sandals, giving a bee orchid to teacher and being gently scolded with loving gestures .... Am I being over-sensitive and thinking this is from an episode from Larkrise to Candleford?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I think Flay agrees, he accepts hospitals are too hot and stuffy.
              I was rather glad I could show off my knowledge of King James Acts 3-6
              But, your poor little urchin face, with a pudding basin haircut, and probably the toes cut out of your sandals, giving a bee orchid to teacher and being gently scolded with loving gestures .... Am I being over-sensitive and thinking this is from an episode from Larkrise to Candleford?
              I haven't read LtC, but village life ... yes, I knew quite well-off children with toes cut out of their sandals. It was a much more commonsense time. I don't think I ever went to the doctor's but he visited when I managed to contract measles and mumps at the same time (I can still feel the ache in my face muscles).

Maybe village life is still different, but the way people keep running to the doctor these days is bizarre. Or is it a more 'caring'/concerned society?

[Quite right: I omitted the exhortation to rise up and walk, but hadn't forgotten it]
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

the way people keep running to the doctor these days is bizarre. Or is it a more 'caring'/concerned society?
                It's mostly the worried almost-well exploiting a free (to most) service. People are better informed nowadays, and more anxious. A swollen neck gland = cancer until proven otherwise.
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

I[Quite right: I omitted the exhortation to rise up and walk, but hadn't forgotten it]
                  Well Done, Ducks! I find a severe verse from King James does the job!
                  In other words, you are suffering and feel poorly - put up with it and you will recover.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... clearly unaware of the limerick :

There was a young man from Darjeeling
                    Who rode on a train out to Ealing:
                    The sign on the door
                    Read 'Don't spit on the floor'
                    So he carefully spat on the ceiling.
                    I had to forgo a trip to the country today in favour of waiting for the AA and then a trip to the pastoral oasis that is Shepherd's Bush a.k.a. vindetable's manoir. Had I read that limerick before leaving, I should have shouted many a Bravo out of the car window in the hope that you would hear it on your Sunday afternoon constitutional.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      I had to forgo a trip to the country today in favour of waiting for the AA
                      Well if you no longer have any use for that case of fine wine then send it over

(or was it the other "AA" ??? )

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        I had to forgo a trip to the country today in favour of waiting for the AA and then a trip to the pastoral oasis that is Shepherd's Bush a.k.a. vindetable's manoir. Had I read that limerick before leaving, I should have shouted many a Bravo out of the car window in the hope that you would hear it on your Sunday afternoon constitutional.
                        Oh, never mind all that arty-farty faffing about, what did you have for lunch?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

see Stormy Weather !!!!!!

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Lark-rise sarnies, wonnit?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                              the 'No spitting' was prominent on the upper deck on all buses in North West during the 1950's and at least early 60s - the major health risk however was probably asphyxiation from Woodbine smoke
                              I can vouch for such signs on rural Hampshire buses (Winchester to Hursley to be precise) in 1973.
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Well if you no longer have any use for that case of fine wine then send it over

(or was it the other "AA" ??? )

A single bottle of CH. Champarel (see 'wine' thread) emerged unscathed and is safely back in the kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X