Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Not at your hourly rate matey
    First three shots are free!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Just popped out to get my hair cut, get home,and the board has inexplicably descended into vitriolic name calling with supposedly respectable professionals throwing rotten fruit and veg from the sidelines!
      Shocking !

Can somebody explain to me the point of a general message board where you participate by ignoring other peoples views.
      Isn't that completely self defeating?

Right , I need to dig out some really loud music to drown out the sound of X factor tonight. Dvorak 7 did a good job last week. Any suggestions?
      Last edited by teamsaint; 17-11-12, 15:47.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Just popped out to get my hair cut, get home,and the board has descended into vitriolic name calling with supposedly respectable professionals throwing rotten fruit and veg from the sidelines!
        Shocking !

Can somebody explain to me the point of a general message board where you participate by ignoring other peoples views.
        Isn't that completely self defeating?[/COLOR]

Right , I need to dig out some really loud music to drown out the sound of X factor. Dvorak 7 did a good job last week. Any suggestions?

It would be self-defeating - but as this is a Radio 3 message board, I think it's legitimate to be interested in people's views on music, but only cherry-pick which other non-musical topics are likely to provide sources of additional interest (depending on personal inclination).

As regards music, what about a good old Schumann symphony? Getting more and more into them, great for driving too ... you an really crank up the volume!

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Serving suggestion
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

* This has been broadcast on BBC Radio 3

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

It would be self-defeating - but as this is a Radio 3 message board, I think it's legitimate to be interested in people's views on music, but only cherry-pick which other non-musical topics are likely to provide sources of additional interest (depending on personal inclination).

As regards music, what about a good old Schumann symphony? Getting more and more into them, great for driving too ... you an really crank up the volume!
            Cali, I was really referring to people who come onto the general board, and then have several people on "ignore". I completely take your point that this is a music board, and , TBH, none of us would be here other than for the music. Dipping into, or completely ignoring "Platform 3" makes absolute sense, if political or other argybargy doesn't suit you.

A Schumann Symphony makes good sense. 3 or 4 I think....1 is for special occasions, listened to 2 the other day. Cheers.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Note how "madman" (the term Simon actually applied to Beethoven in relation to the late quartets) becomes "some of LvB's last works were affected by his mental and physical condition".
              Be that as it may (and I'll take your word for both here), these statements are almost equally bizarre when one considers the utterly astonishing creations that the Missa Solemnis and last five quartets are! I suppose that there might be some argument in favour of one particular aspect of Beethoven's physical condition (his deafness) having opened his mind to the kinds of thing that he explored in those works by closing it off from the physical sound of the outside world but, even then, that deafness and its onset well predated the works of his final five years or so; whichever way one looks at it, if his physical and mental condition did indeed affect his last few works, then loud cheers!

"Madness"? Mon Dieu! All that I can say in response to so absurd a notion is to try to find a serious contextual connotation which I believe that I can only do by pondering upon whether such particular madness might be a possible side-effect of any prescription antibiotic and, if indeed it is, I'll sure as heel go find a GP that will prescribe me a course prontissimo! (and I've brought the thread back on topic as well - do I get any brownie points for that, FF?)...

By the way, Alan Bush once bemoaned the way in which some people spoke of listening to Beethoven as a form of escapism from the real world by retorting that in fact Beethoven was the reality!
              Last edited by ahinton; 17-11-12, 17:26.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Cabbage, Beethoven, Shakespeare, Scandinavian crime drama, neo-Nazism, the characteristic sound of a soapbox being dragged into position and the lobbing of tomatoes; all things that make it plainly obvious that this thread is about antibiotics, their prescription and use. Hmmm...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  Cabbage, Beethoven, Shakespeare, Scandinavian crime drama, neo-Nazism, the characteristic sound of a soapbox being dragged into position and the lobbing of tomatoes; all things that make it plainly obvious that this thread is about antibiotics, their prescription and use. Hmmm...
                  Guilty your Honour. I shall retire from the thread having caused mayhem

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    Guilty your Honour. I shall retire from the thread having caused mayhem
                    Only of some, not all, of the above! No need therefore to retire...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Only of some, not all, of the above! No need therefore to retire...

On topic I would say that I've always been suspicious of antibiotics and (save in childhood, I think, for temporary relief of tonisilitis) have never taken them (and happily never had cause to).

Comment

• Anna

To drag this thread back ontopic. I last had antibiotics about 12 years ago. Our surgery is very strict about time wasters with common colds, etc., but surely everyone should know they are non effective against viral infections? We should aim to educate people that the best remedy for coughs, colds, sore throats, etc., is a stonkingly hot curry, or whisky, lemon, honey, and hot water., or for teetotallers, honey, lemon and vinegar. This has been proved, without a doubt, by the University of Birmingham.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          To drag this thread back ontopic.
                          Already dragged back, Ducks, with ah's entirely justified guidance!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Would being anti-antibiotics classify as being pro-biotics?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              A Schumann Symphony makes good sense. 3 or 4 I think....1 is for special occasions, listened to 2 the other day. Cheers.
                              I'm discovering 4... I'm going to start a Schumann thread. I'd like to hear more.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Would being anti-antibiotics classify as being pro-biotics?
                                Pro-biotics are stuff and nonsense, your gut does not need them, they are a marketing ploy. and in the same league as those cholesterol lowing spreads (of which you would have to eat a tub a day to get any benefit)
                                If people could stop being so super hygienic, and killing the good guys along with the bad, we wouldn't have so many people with allergies.

Comment

Working...
                                X