• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
    Is that what they mean by an oxymoron?
    No, a tautology
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      No, a tautology

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Well, I didn't vote for him (anyone), but I may well have done. His pitch didn't seem too bad. One of the candidates in Kent actually had the bright idea of driving hoodlums out of the county, perhaps persuading them to go to Surrey or another nearby county! He didn't get in.
        That is the problem with such candidates. Presumably in the case you mention, he thinks hoodlums equals gypsies.

If only life could be managed just with reference to the Ladybird Book of the Simple.

No criticism of you. I couldn't have voted for one of the party political candidates or any other, had fate placed me on the Surrey side of the boundary. (Actually it did but I was usurped by Greater London in the mid 1960s )

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          That is the problem with such candidates. Presumably in the case you mention, he thinks hoodlums equals gypsies.

If only life could be managed just with reference to the Ladybird Book of the Simple.
          Well said, Lat!

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I was thinking that if these people have a 4 year term (do they?), then next time, if there is one, they could save the money for an election by turning it into a TV reality show, with phone in audience votes, thus generating revenue, possibly interest and keep media people employed! There could be a weekly knock out, like Big Brother or the more middle class Great British Bake Off. Wouldn't be democratic though, but would anyone really care?

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I was thinking that if these people have a 4 year term (do they?), then next time, if there is one, they could save the money for an election by turning it into a TV reality show, with phone in audience votes, thus generating revenue, possibly interest and keep media people employed! There could be a weekly knock out, like Big Brother or the more middle class Great British Bake Off. Wouldn't be democratic though, but would anyone really care?
              It's perhaps something of a wonder that no one thought of this kind of idea for the vote that's just happened; maybe they were just kidding themselves that it wouldn't be necessary and that it would make a laughing stock of the whole business, just as has happened anyway. Strictly Crime Commissioning? The DCI Factor? Mastercrime? Take your pick. Democratic? How "democratic" was the one in Newport, south Wales where no one voted at all? It's a Copout...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

I voted for the reason FF gave in #17. If there's been a box for 'None of the above - don't change the system till the electorate understands the reason for the change and agrees it is valid' I'd certainly have ticked it.

Down here in the SW there was quite a lot of info about our candidates, and I took part in a '38 Degrees' exercise to get clearly-stated opinions from all candidates across the country on police privatisation and publish them. That really should have been a key issue in these elections, but was it? I don't think so.

But down here, like most of the country, we've still elected the ****** Tory...
                Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 17-11-12, 13:37. Reason: correcting previous poor proofreading
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                  I voted for the reason FF gave in #17. If there's been a box for 'None of the above - don't change the system till the electorate understands the reason for the change is understood and agrees it is valid' I'd certainly have ticked it.

Down here in the SW there was quite a lot of info about our candidates, and I took part in a '38 Degrees' exercise to get clearly-stated opinions from all candidates across the country on police privatisation and publish them. That really should have been a key issue in these elections, but was it? I don't think so.

But down here, like most of the country, we've still elected the ****** Tory...
                  'twas on that very basis, (their views against privatisation of the police), that I voted as I did. It did not do the trick, however.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    I took part in a '38 Degrees' exercise to get clearly-stated opinions from all candidates across the country on police privatisation and publish them. That really should have been a key issue in these elections...
                    So did I!

But while most candidates (the Tory didn't reply at all) declared they were against further privatisation of the police, only one went this far:
                    Our policy on the matter is that we our against privatising any police services, as well other government services.

The fiasco regarding group4's handling of the olympic's is a good enough reason why police services should not be privatised.

Paul's wife works in the Nhs and see's everyday the issues created by privatising, our hospitals which aren't been cleaned properly and many people are being kept in hospital longer and may suffer serious setbacks in there recovery.

Plus we don't have any connections to any security firms that may tender for police work, but is irrelevant as we would not consider this an option
                    That was the EDL candidate...

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      ... That was the EDL candidate...
                      Reminds me of how, back in the 1973 Hove bye-election, the B&H Argos got each candidate to write a 100 word summary of their position. Those submitted by the Liberal and the National Front candidates were identical in content, bar the National Front's commitment to repatriation of immigrants. By the bye, back in the '60s/'70s there was the intriguing case of a second hand car dealer in Cardiff who stood as the Liberal candidate in one general election, and as the National front candidate in the next.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        That was the EDL candidate...
                        see's ... aren't been cleaned ...

The Government is confident that, come 15 November, the public will not only be aware of the elections and their importance, but will have the required amount of information on the candidates to make an informed choice.

In addition, of course, candidates themselves will be circulating information locally during the campaign, and engaging in debates and hustings that will raise awareness and understanding. Once the campaign begins it will be down to the parties and candidates to make sure that the public are enthused by their policies.

I note that your website says that the mission of the Electoral Reform Society is to "empower and inform you, the voter." [sic] So instead of attacking the Government I invite you to join us in promoting these important elections and helping voters to participate in them.

Your sincerely
                        T May

So we blame:

1. The parties
                        2. The candidates
                        3. The Electoral Reform Society
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                        X