X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    PS: Blast - can't spell "commissioners" - maybe the heading can be fixed. Sorry!
    PPS: Odd - doesn't seem possible to delete this first posting - with the option of creating a new version with an amended heading. Is this a feature of this MB? I have deleted some messages in other threads, so why can't I now?
    "Fixed" to what? Commiserators?...

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      anarchist lefty atonal troublemaker that I obviously am
      Mon Dieu! - that's quite a lot up to which to live, n'est-ce pas? But what is an atonal troublemaker? One who keeps trying to introduce tonal references into arguments? Never mind - at least you do not also declare yourself as an anti-American of that already improbable ilk...

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

But what is an atonal troublemaker?
        He meant a serial trouble maker.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          I think we had one card and one leaflet. Finding information seemed to require us to search in order to find this site - http://www.choosemypcc.org.uk/candidates/area/surrey So far no results have been announced for many of the areas.

I agree with ff that if someone is going to be elected anyway we should at least try to exert some control.
          Odd. It is all about the general public. None of them seem to have any policies on systemic crime.

(Damian Green - "Everyone knows how important MPs are" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20355524 )

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            He meant a serial trouble maker.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              12.867% in favour, 11.251% against.
              Well, against the the party odds: an Independent has beaten all the rest to become the city's first elected mayor (27% t/o).

(My Independent! )
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

The Prime Minister at his disingenuous best tells us that turn-out was always going to be low for the PCC elections because people were voting for the first time for a new post

Prime Minister David Cameron has said that voter turnout for the first police and crime commissioners election in England and Wales "was always going to be low".

Can he explain therefore why when Londoners voted in 2000 for the new post of Mayor of London for the first time the turnout was 34.4%

Comment

• subcontrabass
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Well, against the the party odds: an Independent has beaten all the rest to become the city's first elected mayor (27% t/o).

(My Independent! )
                  On first and second preference votes combined he was supported by approx 11.6% of the electorate and by approx 41.3% of those who voted.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post

(My Independent! )
                    Coo congrats, french frank!

Comment

• Resurrection Man

What election?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                        On first and second preference votes combined he was supported by approx 11.6% of the electorate and by approx 41.3% of those who voted.
                        Well, that was the keynote of the defeated Labour candidate's speech - people must engage with politics.

(No congrats for me, amsy - even if I was still out, stumbling around in the darkness on Wednesday night, pushing leaflets through letterboxes)

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Our results are in and (my) Independent PCC candidate won with 54.7% of the votes (second round counting) against Labour's 45.3% so, yes, I'm glad I voted. Turnout was awful, only 14.3%
                          Congrats to frenchie of course!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Corby:

Labour +9% Lib Dems -9%

UKIP +14% Conservatives -15%

A very, very, clear pattern. This way - if not quite as extreme - the general election!

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              Corby:

Labour +9% Lib Dems -9%

UKIP +14% Conservatives -15%

A very, very, clear pattern. This way - if not quite as extreme - the general election!
                              Maybe not. Great to see a big UKIP rise, of course, but these are always protest votes and the GE won't follow the same pattern, but will, as almost always, depend on what is happening with the economy at the time...

As regards the Police Commissioner vote, I agree with all those who think it a total waste of time and money. None of us here voted, indeed nobody in the whole village, as far as I could tell, knew anything about any of the candidates!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

The government has quite a different attitude towards trade union ballots, which are belittled when the turnout is 42%, but apparently it's OK when police commissioner elections only attract 14% of voters. Have I missed something?

Comment

Working...
                                X