Does anyone else click on GUEST'S on the links ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    An automated spider is usually from a search engine. BingBot is Microsoft's version, I think to replace eventually, MSNbot (bot being short for 'robot'). Without search engines, things can't be found on the internet. It includes Google and Yahoo.

...and I thought it was Rob Cowan....

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Morning anton, I've no idea what a Bingbot Spider is but ff might know.

As the list of past posts appears every day there seems no harm in looking at it occasionally. I found the Fave Mozart PCs last week and gave it another spin.

I should keep away from Spiders though.

Ah I see ff is on the ball as ever and has answered before I posted this.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        Morning anton, I've no idea what a Bingbot Spider is but ff might know.

As the list of past posts appears every day there seems no harm in looking at it occasionally. I found the Fave Mozart PCs last week and gave it another spin.

I should keep away from Spiders though.

Ah I see ff is on the ball as ever and has answered before I posted this.

Morning to you

Yes it does bring back some old favourites that our Guests and even the Spider are looking at!!!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The Guests, of course, are a mix of non-logged-in members, lurkers (i.e. readers who are genuinely interested in the content but aren't members), harmless spiders and - spammers, looking for somewhere to leave their commercial adverts.

Certain parts of the site e.g. member profiles, are only accessible to registered members who are logged-in. Robots/spambots shouldn't be able to register as members, but unfortunately human spammers can - as we know ...
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

.... Certain parts of the site e.g. member profiles, are only accessible to registered members who are logged-in. Robots/spambots shouldn't be able to register as members, but unfortunately human spammers can - as we know ...
            Not a lot of point, FF, if any Tom, Dick or Harry can find out what I am doing and what I am looking at by consulting your list of members and unknown others (Guests? I didn't invite them to pry upon my interests or activities).

I object most strongly to such an intrusion upon my privacy. Is there a way that I can opt out of this listing without resigning my membership?

HS

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              ....Bingbot Spider????,....
              He used to play alto in the Totnes Jazz Collective before they went all SME

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                I object most strongly to such an intrusion upon my privacy. Is there a way that I can opt out of this listing without resigning my membership?

HS
                Well, this is a public forum. And you do use a pseudonym, so it's not as is the world knows who you are.

Anyway, I've set you on Invisible Mode - but the bad news is, I can see what you're looking at, but ordinary members/guests can't. It's the best I can do (though you could have done that yourself, by altering your own settings), I'm afraid.

As I thought was clear, Guests can't see your profile page.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

HS
                  It's hardly an "intrusion" is it ?
                  It's the Internet, there is no "privacy" online

(which is probably the best assumption to make IMV !)

Comment

• Hornspieler
                    Late Member
                    • Sep 2012

Well, this is a public forum. And you do use a pseudonym, so it's not as is the world knows who you are.

Anyway, I've set you on Invisible Mode - but the bad news is, I can see what you're looking at, but ordinary members/guests can't. It's the best I can do (though you could have done that yourself, by altering your own settings), I'm afraid.

As I thought was clear, Guests can't see your profile page.
                    Thank you, FF for your prompt reply and action regarding my message #20. I did understand that only full members were able to access my profile - it was the fact that any anonymous "guest" was free to examine my viewing activities without my knowledge or permission.

I apologise for the acidic tone of my message #20 and regret any offence which it may have caused you.

HS

Comment

Working...
                    X