• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Great great [x millions] Granny!

I thought this was interesting:

Basically, we've understood DNA very well for years as the 'computer code' that replicates itself and, thus, allows life to continue on Earth. We also knew that DNA is too complicated to have been the code for very early replications, and we suspected that RNA (which today helps DNA work within us) had performed that function in the very distant past; but even RNA is too complicated to have been there at the beginning. Biologists postulated that a very basic chemical with the unusual ability to replicate itself must have existed, and they even made it artificially, calling it AEG.

Now AEG has been discovered to exist in nature, as a component of cyano-bacteria (foul scum on water).

I'm not sure that it pushes the BBC's problems down the pile, but it's not bad...
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

As does watching the Cenotaph Service to me. We all w[h]itter on about things, I certainly do, but somehow today, probably watching for th last time I thought seriously about my mum's first husband, killed just before the Armistice in 1918 and how she never really got over it, although she loved my father,I'm sure.

Sorry about this but loss puts things into perspective as many of you know.

A nice sunny day anyway-bestio

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      As does watching the Cenotaph Service to me. We all w[h]itter on about things, I certainly do, but somehow today, probably watching for th last time I thought seriously about my mum's first husband, killed just before the Armistice in 1918 and how she never really got over it, although she loved my father,I'm sure.

Sorry about this but loss puts things into perspective as many of you know.

A nice sunny day anyway-bestio
      That certainly puts things in context, Salymap. And it's November 11th, too.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        Now AEG has been discovered to exist in nature. . .
        New discovery? Actually it's been around for 125 years.

AEG stands for ‘Advanced Engineering from Germany’, which means they offer outstanding performance and unparalleled versatility.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          That certainly puts things in context, Salymap. And it's November 11th, too.
          Tell me about it - I've been stood standing silently to attention for hours - all in a good cause, mind

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            New discovery? Actually it's been around for 125 years.

AEG stands for ‘Advanced Engineering from Germany’, which means they offer outstanding performance and unparalleled versatility.

Comment

Working...
            X