• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
    As usual, those in the big jobs always benefit from their own cock-ups

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ex-bbc-boss...203300828.html
    I think the reason he resigned over the latest Newsnight fiasco was because, as editor-in-chief, he carried the can for mistakes made by others.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I think the reason he resigned over the latest Newsnight fiasco was because, as editor-in-chief, he carried the can for mistakes made by others.
      'Carrying the Can' would then appear to have a whole different meaning in management circles. David Dimbleby doubts whether Entwistle actually 'resigned', hence the ridiculously large pay-off. I think he may well be right. When someone 'resigns' he/she normally just disappears without any extra payments. It looks like he may well have been 'pushed'.

If not, management practices are even more self-serving than some of us had imagined, especially as public money is involved here.

Now, in true management gobbledygook, it appears that another two managers are reported to have 'stepped aside' rather than 'resigned' ...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        Now, in true management gobbledygook, it appears that another two managers are reported to have 'stepped aside' rather than 'resigned' ...
        I've been thinking about that curious term. If someone resigns (or 'steps down') from their post that would surely mean they no longer worked for the BBC. Stepping aside presumably means they are still on full (??) pay while the enquiries are carried out.

I'm happy to take the assurance that GE wasn't pushed; but the Trust may well be relieved that they'll be able to make a fresh start. Apparently, he will continue to be involved in the ongoing enqiries which he initiated.

On whether Davie will get the job: when Dyke 'resigned' he was replaced by his deputy (Byford) as Acting D-G. But the job was advertised and went to Thompson. It's always been thought that the D-G must have television broadcasting experience: to choose someone with no television experience, no radio (broadcasting) experience and no news experience would be ... baffling.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I am very disappointed to hear that George Entwistle will receive well over £400,000 following 54 days in post. As other contributors have noted, ordinary workers who resign in unexpected circumstances do not normally receive any further pay. That includes those who have always been commended for their work. Meanwhile, there are announcements about job losses.

Every individual has to decide for himself what is honourable. However, many might feel that their integrity would be seen as compromised if they were described as doing the decent thing in regrettable circumstances and then within 24 hours were shown to be raking it in. I now have to retract my earlier comments and say that I no longer consider his departure to be a loss.

Mainly I am concerned that the people who have facilitated these arrangements have done BBC supporters a considerable disservice. They have provided grist to the mill for destructive types and the latter must be leaping with joy. In short, managers of the Corporation currently have the appearance of not merely disrespecting it but loathing it. Perhaps Lord Patten should go too?
          Last edited by Guest; 12-11-12, 11:17.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

BBC devising ever more ingenious ways of shooting themselves publicly in the foot.
            Well, well, there's a surprise...................

Comment

• amateur51

This won't be a popular idea in the current climate, but I wonder if Mr Entwistle took the hand-off approach that he did because his understood from his BBC experience how important it is for the D-G not to micro-manage production department heads but also to be available if/when they need advice/counsel? Maybe he was still developing his thoughts on this balancingact when the storm hit?

That he got it wrong, principally in my view in his interview with Humphreys where he appeared to be defenceless, is fairly clear but the conclusion that the circumstances were unique is unavoidable. He's done the right thing in offering his resignation (if that is what happened) but he leaves the organisation largely rudderless. Whatever Patten does I think it would be a disaster if he left precipitately too

The pay-off package does seem very odd - he was entitled to 6 months and that is what he should get, unless there some very good rerasons otherwise which I do not see at the moment.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Or maybe, his acolytes simply did not trust him enough to refer it upwards?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                  • Nov 2010

The shocking thing, DracoM, is that it is only now that we are beginning to see the gross and bloated nature of the BBC and its total inability to understand the anger of the licence payers to this continuing farrago. It seems to have been completely walled up against the reality of the outside world while simultaneously preaching through the news programmes about the necessity for (and wickedness of) public service finance cuts.
                  In fact GE's severance package is no less than £1.3million which also includes his pension rights. STILL index-linked I hope....
                  O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                    • Nov 2010

I believe Patten's position is becoming more and more untenable by the hour. That he agreed GE's severance package will be the final shot in the foot.

I suspect he will be gone within 48 to 72 hours.
                    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• scottycelt

On whether Davie will get the job: when Dyke 'resigned' he was replaced by his deputy (Byford) as Acting D-G. But the job was advertised and went to Thompson. It's always been thought that the D-G must have television broadcasting experience: to choose someone with no television experience, no radio (broadcasting) experience and no news experience would be ... baffling.
                      Certainly baffling to most of us but, in truth, management appointments of people with no or little relevant experience appears to be a pretty common occurrence in companies these days ...

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      The pay-off package does seem very odd - he was entitled to 6 months and that is what he should get, unless there some very good rerasons otherwise which I do not see at the moment.
                      Odd indeed, and why should anyone who 'resigns' be entitled to even six months salary?

Such additional payments when leaving were surely originally meant as a tiny compensation for those unfortunates made redundant. Even then, three months is the norm (possibly a statutory requirement?) though anything extra is at the discretion of the particular company concerned.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

I'm annoyed by this double severeance pay issue....and I have complained

For those who wish to complain, herewith: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Looking for 'complaints' seemed to be more long winded than it used to be....(obviously I started from scratch)....
                        bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Or maybe, his acolytes simply did not trust him enough to refer it upwards?
                          So they took it upon themselves to ... no I don't think so. In large organisations the first rule is cover your back

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                            I believe Patten's position is becoming more and more untenable by the hour. That he agreed GE's severance package will be the final shot in the foot.

I suspect he will be gone within 48 to 72 hours.
                            I'd be amazed and saddened for the BBC if you are right

Comment

• handsomefortune

Mr Davies said Archie Norman, ITV chairman and a former Tory MP, should be brought in to take over.

sob!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                                Mr Davies said Archie Norman, ITV chairman and a former Tory MP, should be brought in to take over.

sob!
                                he asda be joking.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X