X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHTL
    • Mar 2007

Concern at the quality of sound of R3 concert evening of 9th Nov 2012

I was concerned by the poor quality of the sound on DAB of the evening concert this evening (9th November 2012 at 7:50 pm) on checking I found that it was being broadcast at 160 kbps Joint Stereo. I sincerely hope this is not a new BBC policy.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

N H T L ....your name is so long it stops other posters being able to click onto the 'last' post (i.e. there is not enough room left for the 'last post' box on the New Posts board....french frank will I dare say help you to change it if you 'personal message 'her)....

[Moderator response: Guess what...! ff]
    Last edited by french frank; 09-11-12, 21:45.
    bong ching

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

use sensible defaults + turn off images when all will work - put your electrons to better use!

Comment

• David-G
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by NHTL View Post
        I was concerned by the poor quality of the sound on DAB of the evening concert this evening (9th November 2012 at 7:50 pm) on checking I found that it was being broadcast at 160 kbps Joint Stereo. I sincerely hope this is not a new BBC policy.
        What is the usual bit rate for Radio 3 on DAB?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          N H T L ....your name is so long it stops other posters being able to click onto the 'last' post (i.e. there is not enough room left for the 'last post' box on the New Posts board....french frank will I dare say help you to change it if you 'personal message 'her)....

[Moderator response: Guess what...! ff]
          No problems clicking on last post here. Have you a very small screen?

Comment

• NHTL
            • Mar 2007

Hi David-G. Most of the time R3 is transmitted at 192 kbps discrete stereo on DAB. When broadcast like this the stereo image and quality of sound is much better, nearer to FM quality, but better for people who cannot receive a good FM signal.

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

A few evenings ago I was surprised to see that R3 was 160 kbps Joint Stereo.

There have been various R3 bitrate 'configurations' on DAB over the many years but a few years ago it seemed to have settled down as:

- A default of 192 kbps discrete stereo

- When 5LSX was broadcasting the bit rate would drop to 160 kbps Joint Stereo, except ...

- In the evenings R3 was 'protected'. Even when R5LSX was broadcasting, R3 would still be 192 kbps, other channels dropping their bitrate to absorb the difference.

It looks as though the evening 'protection' has been dropped, so it is likely that R3 will now always drop to 160 kbps JS when R5LSX is broadcasting. (Don't mention R5LSX looped trails.)

Comment

• NHTL
                • Mar 2007

I am afraid that you may be right johnb. What a shame if that is the case. I have sent a complaint via the website, but I am not confident that anyone takes any real notice of our complaints!

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....your name is so long it stops other posters being able to click onto the 'last' post...french frank will I dare say help you to change it [Moderator response: Guess what...! ff]
                  Another one - ferneything is too long for my screen; I really can't be bothered to go to the opening post then go forward so ignore the thread until someone more considerate posts - rename as fg, ff ?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Just listen on FM - much better all round - no digital radio signal hereabouts anyway!

Comment

• NHTL
                      • Mar 2007

Dear eigthobsruction and Osborn. ff has kindly reduced my username to NHTL, I hope that helps everyone. I had no idea that my username was causing some members such a problem.

Comment

• NHTL
                        • Mar 2007

Old Grumpy. That is fine if you have a really good FM signal free of multipath distortion, or hiss and you can tolerate the Optimod compression. If you have problems with any of the these, then DAB is an alternative. Not everyone has satellite or internet as an alternative. My point is, why should we suffer poor quality DAB because the broadcaster want to reduce quality in order to broadcast more stations?
                        Last edited by NHTL; 09-11-12, 23:07.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
                          Another one - ferneything is too long for my screen; I really can't be bothered to go to the opening post then go forward so ignore the thread until someone more considerate posts - rename as fg, ff ?
                          Yep, I get that problem too....and being dyslexic I always read it as hughfearnleyhepinstall....
                          bong ching

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                            • Nov 2010

I think I'm far more concerned with the execrable content which is being billed as a 'jazz concert'. If I'd actually payed money for such an event I'm sure I'd be at the box office by now demanding by money back. It's not jazz. It's desperately feeble rhythm and blues, at best.

Radio now off and I'm sat her in a state of bewilderment wondering what further horrors are to be inflicted on us in the name of Radio 3's coverage of the so-called London JAZZ festival.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                              I think I'm far more concerned with the execrable content which is being billed as a 'jazz concert'. If I'd actually payed money for such an event I'm sure I'd be at the box office by now demanding by money back. It's not jazz. It's desperately feeble rhythm and blues, at best.

Radio now off and I'm sat her in a state of bewilderment wondering what further horrors are to be inflicted on us in the name of Radio 3's coverage of the so-called London JAZZ festival.

Glad I intentionally missed this - sounds as if it's Guy Barker's latest aesthetic blunder!

Comment

Working...
                              X