Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Not sure if we have had these before, but my current pet hates are the use of 'trial' and 'gift' as verbs.
    Apparently 'gift' (verb) has been here since the 17th century, according to the OED. It meant to give payment for a wife (a similar use in Dutch meant 'to poison'!). It was revived in the US in the 1920s.

'Trial' as a verb dates from the 1980s, but as a noun is not all that old anyway 1550s).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

AdverTISEment - on today's lunchtime BBC TV news, courtesy one of their reporters.

There is no further excuse for the Americanisation of our language: this is not the Marshall Aid era - the US cavalry is not coming to the rescue with loans or beneficial to us trading deals post-Brexit.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        Apparently 'gift' (verb) has been here since the 17th century, according to the OED. It meant to give payment for a wife (a similar use in Dutch meant 'to poison'!).
        In modern German Gift means 'poison' despite its roots in geben, to give. Seems it's the standard thing they give, or gave, people!
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
          In modern German Gift means 'poison' despite its roots in geben, to give. Seems it's the standard thing they give, or gave, people!
          GiftAid takes on a whole new meaning......

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            GiftAid takes on a whole new meaning......
            Apparently Strauss means ostrich which I learnt on Only Connect this week. Just thought I'd mention it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Apparently Strauss means ostrich which I learnt on Only Connect this week. Just thought I'd mention it.

Strauss also means "bouquet", I believe - which could cause some confusion. "What can I bring you back from my business trip, darling?" "Oh just a small [strauss] will be fine"
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Not sure if we have had these before, but my current pet hates are the use of 'trial' and 'gift' as verbs.
                Turning nouns into verbs is just one of the ways in which languages develop. As I randomly look around me in my living room I see various nouns which are also verbs: table, chair, carpet, book, bottle, cup. picture, cushion. pen, paper, plant, pot, label, frame, clock, bin, floor, telephone ...

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Turning nouns into verbs is just one of the ways in which languages develop. As I randomly look around me in my living room I see various nouns which are also verbs: table, chair, carpet, book, bottle, cup. picture, cushion. pen, paper, plant, pot, label, frame, clock, bin, floor, telephone ...
                  I never thought about that! Maybe this grumpy old man should concentrate on other things!!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

I never thought about that! Maybe this grumpy old man should concentrate on other things!!
                    I do know what you mean. I often feel the same about the new ones that come along, which can seem irksome and unattractive. I think we generally tend to just get used to them eventually and not think about them any more. If they don't prove to be useful additions to the language, I suppose they will fall out of use - by a kind of linguistic natural selection.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

confirm

This is now being used as a synonym for something like 'state' or 'report'

I've just come off the phone to a county council department: the 'agent' asked me for my postcode, and my having given it said 'Can you confirm the first line of your address?' Now I think confirm means to me somethng like give evidence of what you've just said/done, such as producing a driving licence to confirm the age I just claimed.

Here the call centre script could say And what is the exactt address within that postcode? Or What is is your address?

But as stated above, this is how language changes, and the internet is part of that now.
                      Last edited by kernelbogey; 24-01-19, 11:59.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

I've just come off the phone to a county council department: the 'agent' asked me for my postcode, and my having given it said 'Can you confirm the first line of your address?' Now I think confirm means to me somethng like give evidence of what you've just said/done, such as producing a driving licence to confirm the age I just claimed.

Here the call centre script could say And what is the exactt address within that postcode? Or What is is your address?

But as stated above, this is how language changes, and the internet is part of that now.
                        I think 'confirm' can mean that they have the info in front of them already on their computer, or think they have, and just want to check. Data protection principles are probably in play too.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Confirming what they want to know about you would have avoided your having to tell them in the first place. .

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            I think 'confirm' can mean that they have the info in front of them already on their computer, or think they have, and just want to check. Data protection principles are probably in play too.
                            Aah yes...

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

The head honcho of M&S, responding to a campaign to stop the planned closure of our local M&S, says that it's the right decision, based on the company's determination to deliver 'a better located, more productive and sustainable store estate'.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Must remember next time I get a phone call from "BT", diving in and telling me that 'my internet connection has not been working to its full potential and …', I must remember to say, 'And can you confirm who it is you think you're speaking to?'
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X