Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

M & S are going to 're-engineer' their food range. Does this mean their food will contain more nuts? And will it be sponsored by Usain Bolt?

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      M & S are going to 're-engineer' their food range. Does this mean their food will contain more nuts? And will it be sponsored by Usain Bolt?
      What's not to like!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

A term which has come into too common parlance and I don’t particularly like is reimagine. Along with reinvented it conjours up the idea that someone has run out of ideas so jump on the latest bandwagon as though it was an original idea.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          ...along with reinvented it conjures up the idea that someone has run out of ideas so jump on the latest bandwagon as though it was an original idea.
          ...so that's what reinventing the wheel means?

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
            ...so that's what reinventing the wheel means?
            That’s the boy! ...and sometimes without a band!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Along with reinvented it conjours up the idea that someone has run out of ideas so jump on the latest bandwagon as though it was an original idea.
              And the BBC's 'reversioned' when they fiddled about with the old R3 messageboards … Oh, what days those were! Mark suggested that we had now outlasted the BBC's boards: we're certainly quite close to it (they've wiped them all so can't check).
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

I find it rather disconcerting to consider that would imply it was 'engineered' to begin with....not the first term that springs to mind in the context of food even if so much of what is on the shelves is the result of industrial processes these days.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

A term which has come into too common parlance and I don’t particularly like is reimagine. Along with reinvented it conjours up the idea that someone has run out of ideas so jump on the latest bandwagon as though it was an original idea.
                  Although neither term is exactly new according to Merriam-Webster. Perhaps the frenzied drive for 'new', 'improved, 'updated' etc which is so much a feature of life these days is the cause of increased use of 'reimagine'?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

I first saw the term 'Reengineering I should think over 20 years ago with the original publication of the book 'Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution'. It was a real buzzword and we used it a lot in our organisation back then.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      Although neither term is exactly new according to Merriam-Webster. Perhaps the frenzied drive for 'new', 'improved, 'updated' etc which is so much a feature of life these days is the cause of increased use of 'reimagine'?
                      Whenever I have known a reasonably good food product beforehand, I have found that the new and improved version has been worse.

Whenever I haven't known a food product beforehand, I have never bought the new and improved version because it clearly wasn't any good in the first place.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                        Whenever I have known a reasonably good food product beforehand, I have found that the new and improved version has been worse.
                        - I think that one of my first contributions to this very Thread was to nominate "New, Improved Recipe" as one of the phrases that set my teeth on edge.

And, for crying out loud, if there's one thing that M&S doesn't need to tamper with, it's their food!!!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          - I think that one of my first contributions to this very Thread was to nominate "New, Improved Recipe" as one of the phrases that set my teeth on edge.

And, for crying out loud, if there's one thing that M&S doesn't need to tamper with, it's their food!!!
                          Yes - that is true. And their name. When they were successful, they were Marks and Spencer. See also the sly and unnecessary introduction by Waitrose of "and Partners" which has prompted poor sales at John Lewis. When they become "W & P", they will immediately go down the pan. It isn't as easy to familiarise the names of the new breed. Frequently, it was Marks and Sparks - even in a Bowie song - and cockneys could peer up at the windows of "Waitroses". "Woolies" has gone. BHS did too. Once they ceased to be British Home Stores.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

If you feel the urge to go to C and A, you can find them in Germany.

Probably not worth going specially, though......
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              If you feel the urge to go to C and A, you can find them in Germany.

Probably not worth going specially, though......
                              Ah, there your are then...…..yet another example!

And they were always C and A which merely accentuated their demise here.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                                Ah, there your are then...…..yet another example!

And they were always C and A which merely accentuated their demise here.
                                Good for cheap skiing gear though.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X