Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    (Incidentally, I wonder what the derivation of that expression is. Rhyming slang, maybe?)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Ah, thanks for that, ferney. I was on the right track. Sloane Squares... bewares!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Ah, thanks for that, ferney. I was on the right track. Sloane Squares... bewares!
        And similar to Jack Jones.

I also have issues with Cornelius Lysaght.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

"Some of his [Corbyn's] strongest supporters are said to be behind antisemitism".

A characteristically unbiassed bit of reportage, as stated by Norman Smith, BBC deputy Polltical Editor, on this lunchtime's BBC 1 News. Said by WHOM?

Is anyone else getting pretty fed up by this kind of agenda-bending, unbalanced reporting?

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Janet Baker was described yesterday by Suzy Klein as a 'National Treasure'.

This phrase seems to me always to have an undertone - whether or not intended in the particular instance of usage - that such a person could not have come from any other country or culture: and so is better for that reason.

It also seems to me to infantilse the person so described.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Janet Baker was described yesterday by Suzy Klein as a 'National Treasure'.

This phrase seems to me always to have an undertone - whether or not intended in the particular instance of usage - that such a person could not have come from any other country or culture: and so is better for that reason.

It also seems to me to infantilse the person so described.
              Whenever I hear "national treasure", I'm reminded of "the family silver", that reverberant metaphor of MacMillan's with reference to Thatcher's national assets stripping privatisation exercise.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

James Cleverly was right to criticise the aggressive language in some last night.

Dawn Butler on her own party members - troops (once), footsoldiers (twice).

(militarism)

Jon Ashworth on ambitions to defeat the Foreign Secretary - "we can decapitate Boris Johnson".

(terrorism)

I could never vote for the Foreign Secretary if I lived in his constituency unless there was repeated use of this phrase by his opponents.

Then I would do - purely on this point of principle.
                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 04-05-18, 21:32.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                  James Cleverly was right to criticise the aggressive language in some last night.

Dawn Butler on her own party members - troops (once), footsoldiers (twice).

Jon Ashworth on ambitions to defeat the Foreign Secretary - "we can decapitate Boris Johnson".

I could never vote for the Foreign Secretary if I lived in his constituency unless there was repeated use of this phrase by his opponents.

Then I would do - purely on this point of principle.
                  This sort of careless, and potentially offensive use of language is very diasppointing.
                  It has cropped up a few times in " Building a Library" recently.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    This sort of careless, and potentially offensive use of language is very diasppointing.
                    I didn't know that.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                      I didn't know that.
                      musical " Hand Grenades" was one.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Heads should roll...

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Heads should roll...
                          ... and as for people who don't like metaphor and imagery - well, hanging's too good for them.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

I always think that a level of discrimination and skill in use of metaphor an imagery is a skill to be valued, and part of the skill is in making it appropriate to the context.

Comment

• greenilex
                              • Nov 2010

I too get upset by militaristic language. I wonder how often people in or from Syria, for example, would choose to use this kind of thoughtless expression? Seems to me we whip up aggression without considering the very real consequences.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

You're referring to the 'bare bones' of a performance of the Tallis Lamentations?

I could not and cannot understand who might have been offended by that.

Comment

Working...
                                X