Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I haven't researched (resought?) this in detail - but I think that 'wreaked' is the normal past for 'wreak' [ = in the sense of : cause or effect (harm, damage, etc )]

'Wrought' is of course the past for 'work' (wrought iron).

My old OED for 'havoc' prefers 'make havoc' or 'play havoc', but 'work havoc' and 'wreak havoc' exist -

The following provides some background, tho' I'm not sure all the readings are to be taken as totally reliable -

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...tanding/305623
    Thank you!

I'm feeling less overwrought now.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

One phrase that I seem to come across more frequently is "fall pregnant" Surely women become pregnant, or we are told that they are expecting a baby, but fall pregnant? This phrase suggests that an accident has occured.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        This phrase suggests that an accident has occured.
        Indeed, I think that's how I would understand it!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Indeed, I think that's how I would understand it!
          And I believe that to be the intended meaning.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

I overtook a water company vehicle on the motorway this week which displayed the following slogan:

Cooking fat clogs your drains

I puzzled over several interpretations for a minute or two. Oddly it was 'clogs' that first caught my attention, and I begain by thinking of footwear...!

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

One phrase that I seem to come across more frequently is "fall pregnant" Surely women become pregnant, or we are told that they are expecting a baby, but fall pregnant? This phrase suggests that an accident has occured.
              'Fall', that's what it was if pregnant out of wedlock, like a fall from grace, not too many decades ago! These days it doesn't seem to matter much at all.

Goodness, I nearly used that now fashionable term "Back in the day" which I dislike!
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 12-10-17, 12:12.

Comment

• alycidon
                • Feb 2013

Yes. That is the meaning which I would ascribe to the phrase also.
                Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I agree that "fall pregnant" seems newly popular, and it doesn't sound "right" to me - but "accidents" aren't implied/suggested (to me) any more than in "fall asleep". (Or have I been misusing that all my life, and it should only be used when one nods off when one shouldn't.)

"Fall in love"? Hmmm.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... or is there a quasi-medical connection - that childbearing is almost to be considered as a disease -

. he fell ill

. she fell pregnant

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

I think Fell walking is a medical condition.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        I think Fell walking is a medical condition.
                        .. ho hoo ha.

But did you know that 'fell' is one of the few things that can be monged?

... ironmonger, cheesemonger, fishmonger, costermonger, fellmonger.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          I agree that "fall pregnant" seems newly popular, and it doesn't sound "right" to me - but "accidents" aren't implied/suggested (to me) any more than in "fall asleep"[...]
                          It's been familiar to me as a phrase for some years and I had assumed it to be local to Hampshire/S England (though the 'accidental' implication hadn't struck me until recently).

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... it seems to be increasing in frequency in British English - while still uncommon in American English

That's my question in the headline. It implies that it was an accident, and/or that the pregnancy, so therefore the unborn child, is a burden, like an illness. Seems offensive, yet I hear it all the

Of course French gels do on occasion have a tendency to tomber enceinte ...

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                              • Nov 2010

... or is there a quasi-medical connection - that childbearing is almost to be considered as a disease -

. he fell ill

. she fell pregnant

Venteuil, that's better put than I could manage.

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

... it seems to be increasing in frequency in British English - while still uncommon in American English

https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...-fell-pregnant
                                Yes - I liked the comment from the discussion you linked to:

'Definitely not considered impolite in British English and may even be a common euphemism so that us sexually-oppressed Brits don't have to consider the fact that one of our English Roses did anything as primitive as engage is messy sexual intercourse.'

You may be right about the medical connexion too, since medical intervention is often thought to be necessary.

Someone else in the discussion objects that if the pregnancy was desired, the wife did not fall pregnant, she just became/got pregnant. But I have never heard anyone use either became or got in that context.

Comment

Working...
                                X