Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    Yes, but you're Welsh ...
    I bet he doesn't talk like Liane Wood...

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

they never ask the question 'WHY?'
      Perhaps they ask 'Why not? instead' In your absence they are unaware that they should not be doing it.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Or even traffic lights:

Green, amber, rudd;
        ruddin' amber, and back to green.

(With apologies to Peter Sellers)

Think it was the Ruddles connection. Amber Ruddles which is a getting under the skin not that I would wish to get under her skin. You realise that she is elected in a town which probably has more benefits claimants than Saltburn-on-Sea? No hidden messages. Just an indication that it is wrong of everyone else to assume that those of us from the South have an inability to travel widely in Britain and we might even have been given the tip off by the good folk of Stokesley. Stay close to Roseberry Topping, even if it was originally a slag heap, and you will be ok. I digress. Did anyone have the most underrated board game in history? Take the Test? Traffic lights all over the place there - so, so helpful in terms of getting through with the Mini van, even if the engine is prone to catch alight, and not merely the kind ignored by continental drivers. Don't read up on Bartley though. Not good.

But back to words.

There is one thing that Mr Corbyn has already changed in my life. We share a Christian name which for decades I haven't used. Too many cards with Jerymy and Germany and Jermy and also it's just a bit too hurrah. I suspect that is why JJ Ashdown chose Paddy. But all of a sudden, it is not a challenge to many but rather it's getting a reaction. Delivery drivers. Sign here please - and more. They know nothing of Hunt or Irons or Hardy or Thorpe or Paxman and in these moments they appear to have even forgotten Clarkson. There are wry smiles of recognition. It appears that I am a positive renegade by inference. This is especially true of those for whom English isn't their first language. It's kinda bizarre.
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 02-06-17, 20:33.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Perhaps they ask 'Why not? instead' In your absence they are unaware that they should not be doing it.
          Are you suggesting that 'they' are quite so ignorant ?

Why not rob a bank or murder the wife ..?

Liberalism and/or Ignorance can go much too far, french frank!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Liberalism and/or Ignorance can go much too far, french frank!

We cannot all know everything, Mr Tipps.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              Nevertheless you regularly claim that people don't understand things that you find "perfectly simple". On the other hand, what is this "yourself"? What's wrong with "you"? It has the double advantage over "yourself" in this context of being both more concise and grammatically correct (pardon me if this particular solecism has been discussed thoroughly on the Pedantry thread) - this use of the reflexive pronoun is, I believe, an Irishism which should according to you surely be used only by Irish people.
              !!!

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Yes, but you're Welsh ...
                If you don't mind my asking, what might that fact have to do either with the current discussion or the price of fish from the Gower peninsula?...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Lat-Literal
                  Shortly afterwards, she insisted on a divorce and won it on the grounds that she couldn't stand to be living with an old man. She was 80 and he was 82.

A thoroughly ageist/sexist woman obviously.

Was she a Tory ? ...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Struck down by the politically neutral position against the overtly political position once again.

Damn.

Must be editorial policy.

A thoroughly ageist/sexist woman obviously.

Was she a Tory ? ...
                    It's gone PG.

Your quote is all that is left of them.

She was ex children's home and they weren't political but he felt sorry for her even after the wipe out and gave her his every last penny.

At his funeral, she said I wouldn't remember her but she remembered me being down there.

She was wrong on both accounts. I did remember her and she saw me as taller than I am.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal
                      ...a swing seat...
                      There's an Americanism for you!

Our undecided voters used to float. Now they swing.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        If you don't mind my asking, what might that fact have to do either with the current discussion or the price of fish from the Gower peninsula?...
                        I certainly don't mind you asking, ahinton, but maybe the price of fish from the Gower peninsula is a controversy for another day and, in any case, maybe Mr Barrett is better qualified to respond to that particular question than I, myself.

As french frank so rightly observes we cannot all know everything, not least I, or even myself!

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          There's an Americanism for you!

And, as we all know, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                            • Aug 2015

There's am Americanism for you!

Yes - a marginal seat would have been better.

I am a psephologist of sorts. That is where I was academically and I accept what you say.

As highlighted many weeks ago in "Ideas", it remains the case that I have never voted for a candidate that has been of the party that has formed the Government (that's eight elections and counting). For the first time in this election, I am reluctantly voting Tory. They could have paid me a lot of money not to but they decided differently. But I'm easy.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

There's am Americanism for you![/I]
                              Come on, ahinton, where is your grammatical eagle-eye now ... ?

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Come on, ahinton, where is your grammatical eagle-eye now ... ?
                                Sorry? I assume that jean mistyped a two-letter word and then corrected it, yet you ask about my alleged "grammatical eagle-eye" in respect thereof; someone seems to be missing the point (whatever it might be and assuming that there still is one), methinks!

Comment

Working...
                                X