Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    Well, we all write the same notes, yes - only in a different order, as Eric Morecambe might have opined...
    Assuming we are writing "note based" music

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      ALW deserves a little credit for chossing this subject which DID raise the profile of this somewhat.
      But wasn't Ward's mistreatment already well-known from John Hurt's sympathetic portrayal in the film Scandal, ts? More people have seen that than the (for want of a more accurate word) Musical.

If what RB says about tax credits is right, then ALW deserves a great deal of criticism for that.
      It is - he does.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        But wasn't Ward's mistreatment already well-known from John Hurt's sympathetic portrayal in the film Scandal, ts? More people have seen that than the (for want of a more accurate word) Musical.

It is - he does.
        Yes, the Ward case was well enough known about, but ALW could have chosen any subject for his latest effort.
        I was certainly open minded veering towards sceptical about his motives, but as mentioned earlier, I haven't come across a reason to doubt his motives on this....yet.
        Just because" Scandal "covered the issue, doesn't mean there wasn't more to say, further truths to reveal." Scandal" I'm sure wasn't the last word on the subject.( And I'm not saying the musical did reveal more, or better, but having seen neither i'm in no position to judge).

My "If" in response to RB's point was purely rhetorical of course.

( oh dear, spending time on an internet forum, defending ALW......)
        Last edited by teamsaint; 03-06-16, 19:07.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Yes, the Ward case was well enough known about, but ALW could have chosen any subject for his latest effort.
          Like f'rinstance a plot involving lawyers who are representing claimants in damages for copyright infringements while themselves being involved in dodgy dealings?

( oh dear, spending time on an internet forum, defending ALW......)
          I'm an old hand at wriggling, should you be in need of any advice, ts!
          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 03-06-16, 23:00.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            Hiya Caliban,

I shouldn't really rise to your bait! Is it a rule here that it has to be said to me to stop me liking hearing it? My post is about is what annoys me not what annoys you. If the term doesn't annoy you, then good for you!
            I thing that's really funny!
            Stan, as S_A defeated your auto-edit, may I say I'm only too happy for you to rise to my bait! And no indeed, no rule that it has to be said to you to annoy me. I was merely enquiring waggishly (I think - it seems a long time ago... a 5 hour lunch and a snooze have intervened ) whether it was in fact often said to you

As for "Go girl!" I completely agree it's tooth-grating! And no it's never been said to me

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            As for Caliban he cracks me up. He's such a comedian should be on the stage! Spending the majority of his day working out how to take the p**s out of contributors.
            Oh I'm not all I'm cracked (you) up to be! Oh whooops wrong thread...

However I am humbled by your tribute! I endeavour to give satisfaction. (Oh - and it only takes a few seconds, usually).

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

As is "gotten", I presume.
              And, of course, 'me' regularly used in place of 'my' is as constructively Scottish as one can be ...

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

A word which I really hate is "chores". Some peple seem to make a virtue out of this, but if something needs to be done it doesn't have to be unpleasant, or have unpleasant connotations. Really dreadful word.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  A word which I really hate is "chores". Some peple seem to make a virtue out of this, but if something needs to be done it doesn't have to be unpleasant, or have unpleasant connotations. Really dreadful word.
                  It's a very useful word - to describe something that needs to be done, but is mildly irritating or unpleasant ... or a bit of a faff; no fun to do, but no great burden, either. As there's no other word to describe these activities, "chore" is invaluable.

What word do you use in its place, Dave?
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

It's a very useful word - to describe something that needs to be done, but is mildly irritating or unpleasant ... or a bit of a faff; no fun to do, but no great burden, either. As there's no other word to describe these activities, "chore" is invaluable.
                    plus it has A grade punning potential.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Grade inflation.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Grade inflation.
                        You mean there's not much grade about inflation.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Exactly, get 'em out of the way then get on with the things you really want to do. The older I get the more chores there are!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

What word do you use in its place, Dave?
                            A fulfilling passtime?

I always think of Alan Watts's defining of the spiritual in activity, eg not as thinking about God while peeling the potatoes, but as consisting in peeling the potatoes.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Grade inflation.
                              I'd like to think it didn't happen, because the phrase is so redolent of how much better things were in the old days.

But I'm afraid it is happening. I can't speak for other subjects of course, but the day I saw on an A level paper a Latin passage for translation that had been set for O level some years previously, I knew.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                                I'd like to think it didn't happen, because the phrase is so redolent of how much better things were in the old days.

But I'm afraid it is. I can't speak for other subjects of course, but the day I saw on an A level paper a Latin passage for translation that had been set for O level some years previously, I knew.
                                I don't think there is much doubt it has happened. Lower grades were certainly required for university in years gone by, although I do think there is , in some ways, much more effective teaching to the task ( EG essay writing) now.

I just don't like the phase, which can be a misleading generalisation for so much that has changed, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X