Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

"...new musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber".

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
      "...new musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber".
      Isn't that as much a contradiction in terms as a phrase destined to set teeth on edge?

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

ALW may not be everybody's musical cup of tea, but he deserves some credit for "Stephen Ward."
        The way Ward was treated by the establishment remains an important lesson from which we can learn much about power and its uses.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Isn't that as much a contradiction in terms as a phrase destined to set teeth on edge?
          Yes - that too!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            ALW may not be everybody's musical cup of tea, but he deserves some credit for "Stephen Ward."
            The way Ward was treated by the establishment remains an important lesson from which we can learn much about power and its uses.
            That's the same ALW who flew over from New York to vote in the Lords to cut tax credits for poor people, right?

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

And we needed ALW to help to teach us that lesson, do we?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Caliban????!!!!!
                I'm referring to Serial_Apologist.

As for Caliban he cracks me up. He's such a comedian should be on the stage! Spending the majority of his day working out how to take the p**s out of contributors.
                Last edited by Stanfordian; 03-06-16, 17:08.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  That's the same ALW who flew over from New York to vote in the Lords to cut tax credits for poor people, right?
                  Well, he didn't actually fly over specially to do this (not that you suggest that he did) but yes, I do recall that he did just that only a few months ago; just as well he got his come-uppance on that. He's not quite a sterling billioniare yet but somehow I suspect that he's not on working tax credits...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Not sure if that's enough to mitigate against his crimes against music ?
                    Stealing things isn't my cup of tea either (allegedly )

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      Not sure if that's enough to mitigate against his crimes against music ?
                      Stealing things isn't my cup of tea either (allegedly )
                      Stealing in music is not perhaps quite as simple a phenomenon as some might assume. Stravinsky described himself as a magpie. ALW doesn't describe himself as one (as far as I know). At least one of them was a composer, even if I can work up little enthusiasm for most of his work. Many so many composers have appropriated others' work, from wilfully at one end to subconsciously at the other. I suppose that listeners' responses to instances of this depend to some extent upon the composer's intentions in this regard, whether or not the composer would admit to it and whether the end results justified the thievery.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

And we needed ALW to help to teach us that lesson, do we?

It may have helped for some people, yes.
                        yes , I would say that not everybody knows everything, and that ALW deserves a little credit for chossing this subject which DID raise the profile of this somewhat.

But it won't have been any use to those people who know everything about it.

If what RB says about tax credits is right, then ALW deserves a great deal of criticism for that.
                        Last edited by teamsaint; 03-06-16, 17:27.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Stealing in music is not perhaps quite as simple a phenomenon as some might assume. Stravinsky described himself as a magpie. ALW doesn't describe himself as one (as far as I know). At least one of them was a composer, even if I can work up little enthusiasm for most of his work. Many so many composers have appropriated others' work, from wilfully at one end to subconsciously at the other. I suppose that listeners' responses to instances of this depend to some extent upon the composer's intentions in this regard, whether or not the composer would admit to it and whether the end results justified the thievery.
                          I think everyone "borrows" and some create music entirely from the work of others.
                          But ALW appears to be in another league and seems to be unaware of where it (allegedly ....!) comes from.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            I really don't know, but I have yet to find a good reason to criticise him for using SW as subject matter, although I'm sure reasons could be found.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

It may have helped for some people, yes.
                              yes , I would say that not everybody knows everything, and that ALW deserves a little credit for chossing this subject which DID raise the profile of this somewhat.

But it won't have been any use to those people who know everything about it.
                              That wasn't what I meant. He may deserve credit for choosing the subject, but is that enough on its own?

If what RB says about tax credits is right, then he deserves a great deal of criticism for that.
                              It is right and he does - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Lloyd_Webber , in which you will read

"Politics

Lloyd Webber was made a Conservative life peer in 1997.

Tax credits vote

Lloyd Webber was involved in a controversial House of Lords vote about the Tory government's proposed cuts to Tax Credits in October 2015. He voted with the Government; he was in London having flown in from the US to attend the opening night of Cats at the London Palladium. Lloyd Webber had voted only 30 times in the past 14 years, and not voted at all in the previous 2 years."

So he'd evidently come over to open cats and voted in favour of cutting tax credits on the same trip, each of which might nevertheless be thought to suggest that he had nothing better to do with his time...

A composer I know whose name has been mentioned on these boards but whom I will refrain from identifying calls him "Lord Lloyd Loom"...

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

I think everyone "borrows" and some create music entirely from the work of others.
                                Well, we all write the same notes, yes - only in a different order, as Eric Morecambe might have opined...

But ALW appears to be in another league
                                He does indeed.

and seems to be unaware of where it (allegedly ....!) comes from.
                                Even after his best friends have told him, it would seem!

Comment

Working...
                                X