Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    ... but would you really say:
    There is a number of ways to get from A to B?
    I think I would ... or, probably, "There's a number of ways ... " followed by some examples of the different routes I had in mind.

If so, what is that number?
    I'd go through at least some of them. If your argument here is correct, then by extension the riposte to "there are a number" would be "If so, what are that number?", wouldn't it?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I think I would ... or, probably, "There's a number of ways ... " followed by some examples of the different routes I had in mind.

I'd go through at least some of them. If your argument here is correct, then by extension the riposte to "there are a number" would be "If so, what are that number?", wouldn't it?
      I would certainly never say 'What are that number?' as a standalone statement/question, but agree that 'There's a number of ways....' sounds OK, without implying specificity, rather curiously!
      I still think that saying 'There is a number of ways.....' implies a specific number, whereas 'There are a number of ways....' is generic.
      Oh, the joys of English, and why it's so hard to explain or teach to non-native speakers!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Oh, the joys of English, and why it's so hard to explain or teach to non-native speakers!

Thinking further as I was washing my dishes, I realized that I could quite conceivably make a comment on the lines of "There's a number of ways to get to the town centre. Amongst them/these are .... " the focus shifting from the (singular) "number" to the (plural) "ways".

There's loads of ways of getting round the problem (if such it is)

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

the team is working on it.

Aren't they?

and since this ISN'T pedants corner....

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

"The team are working on it"

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                "The team are working on it"
                I edited that.
                still works though.

In fact better.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

...would you really say:
                  There is a number of ways to get from A to B?
                  You'd be even less likely to say 'there is a lot of ways...'

What's already happened to a lot is haappening to a number. Soon you won't even notice.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    You'd be even less likely to say 'there is a lot of ways...'

What's already happened to a lot is haappening to a number. Soon you won't even notice.
                    Still doesn't really explain why 'There's a lot....' or 'There's a number....' sounds OK (to my ears, at least) but 'There is a lot/number' doesn't! Maybe just what we're used to hearing?

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                      I very much suspect because it is considered as relevant as mentioning people having being murdered in mansions, luxury villas, semi-detached houses, detached bungalows and mobile homes ... ?
                      A particular mansion belonging to a particular person might be mentioned. But other types of house never are.

I have yet to read of anything terrible happening in a house identifid as semi-detached. But terraced has become careless shorthand for poor and squalid.

(I notice these things becauuse I live in a terraced house.)

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

TEFL teacher explores grammar and language points with exercises, quizzes and some opinionated rants

these are from the internet, so undoubtedly correct.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          A particular mansion belonging to a particular person might be mentioned. But other types of house never are.

I have yet to read of anything terrible happening in a house identifid as semi-detached. But terraced has become careless shorthand for poor and squalid.

(I notice these things because I live in a terraced house.)
                          I take your point, but a quick google doesn't support the idea that other types of property aren't specifically mentioned.

Where it is a property in an expensive area , other descriptions ( town house, 4 Storey house) are used for terraced houses.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/wo...ople-is-or-are

TEFL teacher explores grammar and language points with exercises, quizzes and some opinionated rants

these are from the internet, so undoubtedly correct.

Good to know!

Maybe the blue highlights (themselves links?) in the Oxford link above have clouded the issue, and the terminology is either 'a determiner' or simply 'determiner', but I don't quite understand the bit in (outer) brackets here:

Although the expression ‘a number’ is strictly singular, the phrase ‘a number of’' is used with plural nouns (as what grammarians call a determiner (or determiner)).

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              the team is working on it.

Aren't they?

and since this ISN'T pedants corner....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Good one today from the newly-crowned Queen of University Challenge:

I know what she means...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X