Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    An excellent resume of all the factors at play!
    I think it's far too complacent in its assumption that the locals don't really want to live there and are only too happy for incomers to buy up all the properties.

There's ample evidence that people wouldn't move away if there was housing there they could afford.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
      I think it's far too complacent in its assumption that the locals don't really want to live there and are only too happy for incomers to buy up all the properties.

There's ample evidence that people wouldn't move away if there was housing there they could afford.
      My impression was that the landed gentry were the band's target - but otherwise, yes.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

An excellent resume of all the factors at play!
        Many thanks - although I suspect that there may well be yet others, at least one tht immediately occurs to me being (from my own experience) the absence of roadsweepers in such areas which can be especialy irritating and indeed at times potentially dangerous when one considers the damage caused to the unclassified roads and detritus deposited on them as a consequence variously of poor drainage and use by all those sheep, cattle, horses and the rest, none of whom pay road tax...

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Terrific stuff teamy - hadn't heard of them before.
          Probably the biggest name in contemporary British Folk music SA, and deservedly so.
          Well worth youtubing some more of their music, and even more worth trying to catch them live, where they are absolutely brilliant.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Many thanks - although I suspect that there may well be yet others, at least one tht immediately occurs to me being (from my own experience) the absence of roadsweepers in such areas which can be especialy irritating and indeed at times potentially dangerous when one considers the damage caused to the unclassified roads and detritus deposited on them as a consequence variously of poor drainage and use by all those sheep, cattle, horses and the rest, none of whom pay road tax...
            Fly tippers are yet another problem in that regard.

Were it not for the fact that it (ours and other's) provides for the food needs of the majorities that use supermarkets, and that supermarkets have their dependent farmers by the jugular, the countryside would probably offer the best starting point for the revolution that's needed to reorganise the way in which everything is run, as the Greens seem to think.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Probably the biggest name in contemporary British Folk music SA, and deservedly so.
              Well worth youtubing some more of their music, and even more worth trying to catch them live, where they are absolutely brilliant.
              My best friend's wife is into folk music. Hates jazz though. Folkies should improvise a bit more, or a bit more interestingly - jazzers take on a few radical lyrics deliverers, the way Henry Cow did in the 1970s. Another firned of mine was in Happy End - aas their title says they did Weill (and Eisler) "covers". Robert Wyatt points part of the way, but he's too niche in other respects - not his fault.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Fly tippers are yet another problem in that regard.
                Around here where at times it can be infested with cluster flies, I'd be only too happy of people did some fly tipping (provided that the flies had been exterminated first)...

Were it not for the fact that it (ours and other's) provides for the food needs of the majorities that use supermarkets, and that supermarkets have their dependent farmers by the jugular, the countryside would probably offer the best starting point for the revolution that's needed to reorganise the way in which everything is run, as the Greens seem to think.
                Maybe; the trouble is that there's so few permanent residents there (as we've discussed) and so many weekenders have taken their places that, as such revolution would accordingly depend upon the influex of further outsiders, it might actually compound the problem, however unwittingly!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

"Catherine Tate"

... especially in the context of presentation / reading on this 'Shakespeare Live' TV programme on BBC2.

Her Seven Ages speech was a squirm-inducingly bad way to start the thing....
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Why is it considered relevant to mention that people have been murdered in a terraced house?

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Why is it considered relevant to mention that people have been murdered in a terraced house?
                      there are a number of such issues around reporting of murders, tragic deaths, and so on.
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 24-04-16, 08:44.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

I very much suspect because it is considered as relevant as mentioning people having being murdered in mansions, luxury villas, semi-detached houses, detached bungalows and mobile homes ... ?

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          there are a number

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

IMO, but I'm not going there.....

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Migrants. Don't know if they're comin' or goin'

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

I presume that you are raising eyebrows at ts's 'grammar' here.
                                This may be better suited to Pedants' Paradise, but would you really say:
                                There is a number of ways to get from A to B?

If so, what is that number?
                                (OK, you could be smart and say that it's infinity!)

'There is a number' (a specific number) and 'There are a number' serve different purposes.

Comment

Working...
                                X