Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Some time in the late 1950s, I had a holiday job at the Christian Endeavour Holiday Home near Rothesay.

I remember the Jeanie Deans - I was familiar with the Mersey Ferries but had never seen a paddle steamer before.

I don't remember much else.

I never saw the facility to which mangerton refers.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

"In a minute" rather than "in a moment".

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        "In a minute" rather than "in a moment".
        I'll second[sic] that.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I'll second[sic] that.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
            Some time in the late 1950s, I had a holiday job at the Christian Endeavour Holiday Home near Rothesay.

I remember the Jeanie Deans - I was familiar with the Mersey Ferries but had never seen a paddle steamer before.

I don't remember much else.

I never saw the facility to which mangerton refers.
            It's my very proud boast that not only did I see it but was occasionally relieved to do so, though 'the facility' never looked quite as impressive in my young days as in the splendid photographs supplied by mangerton.

Of course, the Clyde was the birthplace and parental home for those great old paddle-steamers, which had a charm and character all of their own, not least for young boys. I understand that a number of them (the steamers) are still used somewhere in the world in some or other capacity, the best-known being the Waverley.

However, I was astonished to read some time ago that one was still chugging up and down the Mississippi River as recently as 2008.

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
              It's my very proud boast that not only did I see it but was occasionally relieved to do so, though 'the facility' never looked quite as impressive in my young days as in the splendid photographs supplied by mangerton.

Of course, the Clyde was the birthplace and parental home for those great old paddle-steamers, which had a charm and character all of their own, not least for young boys. I understand that a number of them (the steamers) are still used somewhere in the world in some or other capacity, the best-known being the Waverley.

However, I was astonished to read some time ago that one was still chugging up and down the Mississippi River as recently as 2008.
              The PS Waverley is still in business, I'm delighted to say. Aged mother and I went on her through the Kyles of Bute in 2011. After a shocking morning, the weather markedly improved, and it was a lovely afternoon and evening. For obvious reasons, it's difficult to photograph a boat when you're on board, but especially for PGT here are three links.

This shows Skelmorlie with Wemyss Bay pier and the Rothesay ferry on the left.

The Kyles of Bute approaching Tighnabruaich

The engines!

As PGT will know, going to "look at the engines" was a euphemism for visiting the bar, but the engines themselves were well worth a look.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

Ah, the engines ... those (the real ones) were the real fascination for we(e) boys, mangerton!

Thanks for those memory-jogging photos. I did the same trip on the same boat with relatives way back in 1979 and at the obvious risk of boring everyone to an early demise I have now unearthed some of my own.

Here are three:

a) The Waverley at Kingston Quay. I remember when I was even younger the paddle-steamers used to depart from and return to a quay right in the centre of Glasgow on the opposite side of the river. There were at least three of them in those days .. The Waverley. The Queen Mary II and The Caledonian.

b) Arriving at Dunoon.

c) Returning back up the Clyde with the Erskine Bridge in the background.

Home for all your photos and videos, automatically organized and easy to share.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

'It is what it is!'

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                    Ah, the engines ... those (the real ones) were the real fascination for we(e) boys, mangerton!
                    "For us boys" and/or "for wee boys"; but not "for we boys" - that would be a "teeth on edge" expression.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      "For us boys" and/or "for wee boys"; but not "for we boys" - that would be a "teeth on edge" expression.
                      Only for very silly boys ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Mummy: Why are you home from school early today, Dear?

Dear: Teacher's expelled me for weeing in the swimming pool!

Mummy: That's a bit harsh! Don't all little boys wee in the swimming pool?

Dear: Not from the top diving board!

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Mummy: Why are you home from school early today, Dear?

Dear: Teacher's expelled me for weeing in the swimming pool!

Mummy: That's a bit harsh! Don't all little boys wee in the swimming pool?

Dear: Not from the top diving board!

Bono.

Especially in regard to that bloody album that they sent to every ipad, and which I cannot seem to get rid of, and which cuts into whatever I am listening to at random intervals.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

"Warning: The paintings featured below depict a graphic image"

... in coverage about the discovery of what may be a lost Caravaggio

Do we really need warnings about gory fine art now...?

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Even stranger is the suggestion that some images aren't graphic!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                                Even stranger is the suggestion that some images aren't graphic!
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X