Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I thought perhaps that was just round here. If you've heard it there, it must be more widespread (there doesn't seem to be a "gag" emoticon on the Forum's palate).
    It's true I do hear it in my mind's ear in a Welsh accent. But no, I've encountered it all over, e.g. in mutual greetings and wishes on social media within certain milieux - seems particularly prevalent among 'meedjah' people such as those working in telly...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      "Bless!"

(As a sentimental expression of 'pat on the head' approval for a small achievement or sympathy for some trivial failure)
      Oh, is that what you meant…?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Oh, is that what you meant…?
        Yes in equal measure, given your comment which inspired it!!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

"Go figure"

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

"Do the math(s)"

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

(Probably not its first appearance on this thread) - "Pre-loved goods" - currently on an A-board in my local high street.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Department of Work and Pensions.

It doesn't deal with "pensions", many might question the extent to which it could claim to "work" (in either sense) and its only significant "depart"ure in recent times appears to have been its Secretary, Mr Iain Dunkin' Donut...

Now let's get off that one prontissimo; we don't want to go where angels and forumites fear to tread and I have no intention to try to lead it there!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

"As it were".

A peculiar phrase and I don't know its derivation.

???????

Also, "benefits" as in social security, the origin of which must concern benefaction rather than merely something advantageous.

As such, it should not refer to pensions or other contribution based allowances which by definition have been paid into by those subsequently in receipt of them.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                    "As it were".

A peculiar phrase and I don't know its derivation.

???????

Also, "benefits" as in social security, the origin of which must concern benefaction rather than merely something advantageous.

As such, it should not refer to pensions or other contribution based allowances which by definition have been paid into by those subsequently in receipt of them.
                    'As it were' is a subjunctive phrase (think of 'as if it were') that's been around since the Middle Ages. But it's now an idiom, rather than a literal phrase, and if the subjunctive dies out completely (quite possible) then 'as it were' could remain as a fossil phrase, like 'be all and end all' or 'spick and span'.

As for 'benefits' - I suspect the use is a euphemism, coined for political reasons.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                      'As it were' is a subjunctive phrase (think of 'as if it were') that's been around since the Middle Ages. But it's now an idiom, rather than a literal phrase, and if the subjunctive dies out completely (quite possible) then 'as it were' could remain as a fossil phrase, like 'be all and end all' or 'spick and span'.

As for 'benefits' - I suspect the use is a euphemism, coined for political reasons.
                      Many thanks Pabmusic.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Heard on BBC Radio 4 this morning ...

'A First Folio of William Shakespeare's plays believed to have been discovered in a stately home on an island off the west coast of Scotland has now been confirmed as genuine.

Can you just imagine the following ...

The remains of a dinosaur are believed to have been discovered near what is known as The Needles, a distinctive physical feature on an island off the south coast of England

No, neither can I ...

In any case, the popular Isle of Bute (known even to the minimally geographically-educated) is situated well within a very famous river estuary, near a very big city, and not 'off the coast' of anywhere, you media clowns ...

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post

'A First Folio of William Shakespeare's plays believed to have been discovered in a stately home on an island off the west coast of Scotland has now been confirmed as genuine.

The remains of a dinosaur are believed to have been discovered near what is known as The Needles, a distinctive physical feature on an island off the south coast of England

No, neither can I ...

In any case, the popular Isle of Bute (known even to the minimally geographically-educated) is situated well within a very famous river estuary, near a very big city, and not 'off the coast' of anywhere, you media clowns ...
                          Nah. Bute's in Caerdydd, as every schoolboy knows.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

It's just another piece in the Panamanian offshore jigsaw; didn't you realise that?

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

No, neither can I ...

You tell em, PGT. It reminded me of my years on the west coast, when I could look across the watter, and of this , which with a bit of luck will confuse all these Sassenachs.

I've just remembered this, which created quite a stir at the time:

In August 1975, three men attempted to rob the Royal Bank of Scotland at Rothesay, but, trying to push the revolving doors the wrong way, got stuck. The bank staff kindly extricated them, and, after mumbling their thanks, the robbers sheepishly left.
                              They returned shortly afterward to announce they were robbing the bank, and demanded five thousand pounds. The staff, still tickled by the revolving door incident, thought the robbers were pulling another practical joke, so they started laughing.
                              Disheartened by their laughter, the gang leader reduced his demand to five hundred pounds – and this brought a fresh roar of laughter. Nervous and confused, he reduced the demand to fifty pounds, and by this time the cashier was laughing hysterically.
                              Apparently to demonstrate the seriousness of their demand, one of them jumped over the counter, but fell and hurt his ankle. The other two panicked and ran . . . and got stuck in the revolving doors again.
                              It took a moment for the bank tellers to realize that the robbery was real.
                              Last edited by mangerton; 08-04-16, 10:47.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                It's just another piece in the Panamanian offshore jigsaw; didn't you realise that?

Comment

Working...
                                X