Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    But you need to have a mind to crack one in the first place!
    Also true!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I am left wondering if this has anything to do with his alleged support for Holocaust-deniers, or a Holocaust denier, or if my chronology is out on this.

Yes but in rather a damning with faint praise kind of way, given that he singles out Foucault's writings on prison as reflecting the man's sado-masochistic leanings! You have to remember that anything to a self-confessed Chrstian of the Right will be redeemed by such confessionals!

As always, yes. So little time devoted to discussion that might lead to some kind of definitive answers seems almost to be in line with the BBC's oft-proclaimed impartiality.
      I wasn't impressed by it as it was obvious soft targeting. I mean - what does he want? Does he want the sort of study to which he refers banned or does he want it to lose its pseudo-magical status so it connects with "the real world" in the way that the pseudo-magical status in academia of Hayek, Friedman etc connected? I doubt that he knows.

The item on siblings was more interesting, albeit with a high rising terminal.
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-11-15, 21:03.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        I wasn't impressed by it as it was obvious soft targeting. I mean - what does he want? Does he want the sort of study to which he refers banned or does he want it to lose its pseudo-magical status so it connects with "the real world" in the way that the pseudo-magical status in academia of Hayek, Friedman etc connected? I doubt that he knows.
        Very good points.

The item on siblings was more interesting, albeit with a high rising terminal.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Sorabji used to say that the great thing about changing one's mind is having one to change in the first place; likewise, in order to tgake an opportunity to explain a joke of your own making, you have to crack one first.
          Oh, I'd only be too delighted to crack one, ahinton.

Please step forward ...

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
            Oh, I'd only be too delighted to crack one, ahinton.

Please step forward ...
            I cannot see how my stepping forward will help you with this; if you don't have a joke to crack in the first place, my presence is hardly likely to make any difference to that.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

I cannot see how my stepping forward will help you with this; if you don't have a joke to crack in the first place, my presence is hardly likely to make any difference to that.
              The joke has already been 'cracked', ahinton, albeit in a most paronomasiac way, so 'subtle', indeed, I feel sure it will be appreciated by our foremost 'subtlety' advocates on these boards. You were absolutely essential to the joke, I can assure you!

Like many an answer or joke, simply straightforward or gently 'subtle', it appears to have inexplicably eluded you.

In the latest case the joke/answer was both gently 'subtle' and maybe a bit too simply straightforward as to be bordering on a crime against forum Political Correctness ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

I've finally lost the will to respond any further.
                And to think this glorious news was brightening our morning a mere 24 hours ago.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

The joke has already been 'cracked', ahinton
                  I don't know about the, or a, joke, but something's certainly "cracked"...

I can assure you
                  Of very little, it would seem...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    And to think this glorious news was brightening our morning a mere 24 hours ago.
                    I did say it was a 'self-imposed temporary exile'. I was most careful not to put too much of a time-limit on it!

Brilliantly 'subtle', y'see ...

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Indeed; all this fluctuation and unreliability - I put it all down to global warming, meself, innit. This particular weather vane appears to have Tipped.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

I did say it was a 'self-imposed temporary exile'. I was most careful not to put too much of a time-limit on it!
                        Or too much of an imposition upon yourself, it would appear.

Could try harder...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Could try harder...
                          Don't encourage him!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Come, come! Fortunately Mr Tipps appears to enjoy all the baiting (as much as the baiters?) as the forum would be a gloomier place without him!
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Don't encourage him!
                              I didn't say where!...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Come, come! Fortunately Mr Tipps appears to enjoy all the baiting (as much as the baiters?) as the forum would be a gloomier place without him!
                                Oh, indeed - and he gives as good as he gets. In fact, I've often thought of him as a master ...

.... ooh; is that the time?

Comment

Working...
                                X