Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

The diminutive "bravino" (fem "bravina"), meaning "quite good", "passable", "so-so" would be an interesting variant to shout out.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post
      Behind a grille of course, where Vivaldi himself would have put them:

Surely a bit too much flesh still on view, Jean?

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

You'd have to talk to Vivaldi about that. But the church has been rebuilt since his time there.

This may be the original one:

Last edited by jean; 05-11-15, 10:50.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Oh dear! Paul is no doubt spinning in his grave:
          Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

1 Cor. 14:34

True, he said nothing about singing.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

To be honest....a widely-used filler that one woman used three times in the space of a short interview on Today, today. I have no idea what she was talking about.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Oh dear! Paul is no doubt spinning in his grave:
              Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

1 Cor. 14:34

True, he said nothing about singing.
              He deserves to be spinning in his grave for a remark like that - and at a pretty high number of revs per minute, at that.

OK, whilst he appears to have made no specific mention of singing, he did evidently refer to keeping silence, which isn't especially easy to do when singing, so it might seem reasonable to assume that his denial of women's right to speak in Church extended to singing also; it might be argued that this is how his statement has been interpreted in many Christian Churches throughout the ages, given that women have done far less singing there than men, at least until relatively recently.

I confess that I've never previously thought of Paul and the late Kenneth Williams in the same sentence, so to speak, but the "shouldn't have women on this show" expression to which on occasion he had recourse in Just a Minute does seem to have a kind of commonality...

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                To be honest....a widely-used filler that one woman used three times in the space of a short interview on Today, today. I have no idea what she was talking about.
                Honestly?(!) - but I rather think that it's just one of so many fillers that seem to have little relevance or value beyond their filler status. While on the subject of Today, even James Naughtie's "so what you're saying is..." seems to be on a kind of par with this, in that either the interviewee did indeed say what JN is repeating or he/she didn't say it, in which case it comes across as a red (Scottish) herring of sorts but designed to try to trip up said interviewee.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  'bravo' in Spanish can refer to both male and female.
                  "Bravo" used to express approbation in Spanish is an interjection, not an adjective, and is not gender-dependent, as you say (ref Oxford Spanish Dictionary, Diccionario Salamanca). But the primary use of "bravo(-a)" in Spanish is as an adjective, meaning brave, or more especially fierce, whether applied to fighting bulls or potatoes in a spicy tomato sauce

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                    To be honest....a widely-used filler...
                    And its close relative, To be honest with you...

Not unrelated to Don't get me wrong...

I liked this comment from your link, though:

To be frank, I don't think it's a strange or new phenomenon. Honestly, it's used in basically every language I can think of, no lie. Truth be told, it seems an almost universal need for humans to emphasise that, actually, they are speaking the literal truth. The truth of the matter is that no one even gives it a second's thought.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

"On the doorstep" a phrase bandied about by political parties prior to elections.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

What's wrong with that? It's exactly where politicians are - or ought to be - prior to elections, and the more conscientious of us are all year round.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

I liked this comment from your link, though:

To be frank...
                          So did I, truth to tell, but the bit that I liked best was those first three words, especially since only one person here can be that(!)...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

What's wrong with that? It's exactly where politicians are - or ought to be - prior to elections, and the more conscientious of us are all year round.
                            Hiya Jean,

I think you miss the point of this thread. I'm not asking you be be bothered by the phrase as you can please yourself. This is me saying that it sets my teeth on edge.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I know. And I am attempting to show you that it shouldn't.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

I know. And I am attempting to show you that it shouldn't.
                                Hiya Jean,

Please don't try and tell me what to think. To continue that tack why don't you concentrate on yourself and don't worry about which phrases set my teeth on edge; even my dentist doesn't do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X