Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    "Gala La La" from the TV ad for a lottery being arguably the most pukeworthy example thus far in my endurance.

While it has always been my view that these ads are there for capitalist ideology at its most barefaced to work its nefarious means of inducing states of passive moronic infantile receptivity in those intended to be persuaded by them, this one really leads me to wonder if these requirements were actually set down in the brief to the maker of the ad.
    Eloquently put, as usual although, not having had what I presume to be the misfortune of having seen that ad meself, I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      aposiopesis
      Which means breaking off in the middle of speech, apparently.

Thank you for another new word to add to my lexicon - useful for describing jazz improvisers when they run out of ideas, and clam up!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Eloquently put, as usual although, not having had what I presume to be the misfortune of having seen that ad meself, I couldn't possibly comment.
        But you just have ... so you certainly could!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Which means breaking off in the middle of speech, apparently.
          Indeed so, albeit usually if not always in a "fill in the blanks" invitation manner rather than the example that you mention below! It's not the incurable condition that some might think it to be...

Thank you for another new word to add to my lexicon - useful for describing jazz improvisers when they run out of ideas, and clam up![/QUOTE]
          ...or for the work of certain minimalist composer when they (as a certain pianist said of a well known one such) run out of a lack of ideas (rather as I more recently said of a certain British Prime Minister that all too often he just says the first thing that doesn't come into his head)...

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
            But you just have ... so you certainly could!
            I've not commented on the content of the ad concerned, my only comment on it accordingly being that indeed I have not seen it; I had thought that this was relatively clear, even in the pidgin English of a Scotsman such as meself...

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... I like your (intentional?) aposiopesis
              Put it down to an inability to continue, I being under no obligation to pay the trifling sum myself, and elect not to do so. I only once witnessed the programme concerned and that was under duress and in the face of my vigorous protests.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Put it down to an inability to continue, I being under no obligation to pay the trifling sum myself, and elect not to do so. I only once witnessed the programme concerned and that was under duress and in the face of my vigorous protests.
                I'm sorry to hear that.

I wonder why what I first mistakenly thought to be canned hysteria but which I soon discovered to be the unreal thing has become so essential an element of the content of SCD and progammes like it and which I'd have thought would make already threadbare, formulaic and largely empty-headed end products even more obviously so, but then what do I know? I suppose that at least it pays some reasonably handsome session fees to the musicians involved, but that single pssible redeeming factor does not a watchable programme make (for me, anyway). As for its apparent habitual closing injunction (to whom?) to "keep dancing", it must seems to be a rather an odd "request" to those who have never done it in the first place and have no intention of starting...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Indeed so, albeit usually if not always in a "fill in the blanks" invitation manner
                  Isn't that what 'every little helps' does: invite you to fill in the blanks & therefore answer your question - "But "every little" what "helps "who or what with what and how and why?"

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

I wonder why what I first mistakenly thought to be canned hysteria but which I soon discovered to be the unreal thing has become so essential an element of the content of SCD and progammes like it and which I'd have thought would make already threadbare, formulaic and largely empty-headed end products even more obviously so, but then what do I know? I suppose that at least it pays some reasonably handsome session fees to the musicians involved, but that single pssible redeeming factor does not a watchable programme make (for me, anyway). As for its apparent habitual closing injunction (to whom?) to "keep dancing", it must seems to be a rather an odd "request" to those who have never done it in the first place and have no intention of starting...
                    You seemto know a lot about the programme, given that

OK, I admit that I wouldn't subject myself to two consecutive seconds of the programme if you paid me (unless the sum offered was sufficiently large!),
                    So how much were you paid (& who by? Certainly not me)

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      Isn't that what 'every little helps' does: invite you to fill in the blanks & therefore answer your question - "But "every little" what "helps "who or what with what and how and why?"
                      One might suppose that it could do that in theory, at least, but I imagine that in practice it hardly ever does so; I would not therefore assume that the phrase was wilfully constructed as an example of aposiopesis.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

You seemto know a lot about the programme, given that
                        I know only enough about it to have put me off wanting to know any more, but that much is sufficient for me to have been able to make the comments that I have - no more, no less.

So how much were you paid (& who by? Certainly not me)
                        Did I say that I was paid anything by anyone in respect of this programme? - and in any case, in what even you might be expected to assume would be the most unlikely event that I'd indeed been paid to watch any edition of it, what actual business of yours might you suppose that to be? Yes, I am aware that I have received no payments from you for anything and I think that I would probably have known had I done so.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

If someone claims not to want to watch "2 consecutive seconds" of a programme, but then professes to know enough about it to be able to pontificate on its quality and quote the presenters' 'sign off' line (& know that they use it frequently, if not in every programme) then I think that they are bending things a little?

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

If someone claims not to want to watch "2 consecutive seconds" of a programme, but then professes to know enough about it to be able to pontificate on its quality and quote the presenters' 'sign off' line (& know that they use it frequently, if not in every programme) then I think that they are bending things a little?
                            Dear me! Words of one syllable time! (at least in principle). Ever heard the expression "I know what I like"? Well, in order to know what one might like and what one might dislike it is of at least some importance first to put it to the test. What I know about SCD - which I do not claim to be very much but which does include the audience hysteria, the sign-off line, the obsession with competition that it shares with certain other television programmes and the apparent presumption that people with little or no previous dance experience can be turned into professionals in weeks - has been gleaned from having watched sufficient of the programme to discover it and it is that which has left me with the desire to wtch no more than two seconds' worth of it at a time; howe else might you suppose that I had come to such a conclusion?

I have not "pontificated" on anything to do with it, actually and have in any case been less concerned with its overall quality than with its title, as should be clear from the comments that I have made about it. The fact that I dislike such as I've seen of the series, whilst true, is really neither here nor there except as a personal opinion.

Got it now?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

Strictly Come Dancing?

It reminds me of when I was a very wee boy (in more senses than one) and our family received a Xmas gift from a Great Aunt. It was an LP of the old musical Salad Days and when my mother played one song in particular from the disc it demonstrated once again to my siblings and myself just how silly and excruciatingly embarrassing adult folk can sometimes become.

Certainly a painful and salutary lesson on what might well lay in store for us in the adult world in the future ... and, 100% true to that very young nightmarish vision, along comes the BBC with SCD.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                                Strictly Come Dancing?

It reminds me of when I was a very wee boy (in more senses than one) and our family received a Xmas gift from a Great Aunt. It was an LP of the old musical Salad Days and when my mother played one song in particular from the disc it demonstrated once again to my siblings and myself just how silly and excruciatingly embarrassing adult folk can sometimes become.

Certainly a painful and salutary lesson on what might well lay in store for us in the adult world in the future ... and, 100% true to that very young nightmarish vision, along comes the BBC with SCD.
                                At least neither this nor your own childhood experience involved mass audience hysteria, obsessive competition, the flaunting of celebrity "culture" and admonitions to "keep dancing" (although whether or not it involved Tipp-toeing is something upon which I would not have the temerity to speculate)...

Comment

Working...
                                X