Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    In (1) might be "the universe is 13.72 billion years old by our present calculations"; in (2) Darwin's 1862 prediction that a hawk moth must exist on Madagascar that has a 12" (or so) proboscis, because an orchid exists with a nectary that long (Xanthopan morgani praedicta - Darwin's hawk moth, discovered in 1903); and in (3) the cause of strep throat, compared with what Galen might have understood.
    Not sure about your example of (3) - wouldn't that be better exemplified by something it hadn't even occurred to us to ask questions about?

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
      Not sure about your example of (3) - wouldn't that be better exemplified by something it hadn't even occurred to us to ask questions about?
      Of course it would, but that's a tall order! No Roman would have had any knowledge of bacteria, not even Galen, so it would then have been an unknown and unimaginable phenomenon.

I think that to give an example of something we cannot imagine is beyond even me.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Of course! Silly me! Thanks for that.
        It appears that alumnus (m) dates from 1610; alumna (f) is an Americanism from the period 1880-1885.

A bit of social history there.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I wouldn't call it an Americanism just because the Americans found they needed it first!

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

I wouldn't call it an Americanism just because the Americans found they needed it first!
            Well... I wasn't intending it to be pejorative. It apparently started in America, whatever that makes it.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

But it appears to have a longer history in any case - the OED gives

1621 J. Wilson tr. L. Lessius & F. Androzzi Treasure of Vowed Chastity i. 22 Take none of the younger sort of widowes, &c. which is meant that they should not be admitted into the function or ministery of diaconisses, or into the number of the Alumnae or Pupills of the Church.

(I wonder why not?)

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

But it appears to have a longer history in any case - the OED gives

1621 J. Wilson tr. L. Lessius & F. Androzzi Treasure of Vowed Chastity i. 22 Take none of the younger sort of widowes, &c. which is meant that they should not be admitted into the function or ministery of diaconisses, or into the number of the Alumnae or Pupills of the Church.
                Interesting. I'm not retained by the USA (pity really, since there'd be a lot of money in it), so I accept that wholeheartedly.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  It appears that alumnus (m) dates from 1610; alumna (f) is an Americanism from the period 1880-1885.

A bit of social history there.
                  It may be, but it occurred long before J K Rowling was born or thought of! (but see also jean's #2376)...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Apologies if I've already posted this. My memory is shocking. It's become fashionable to say:
                    "It is what it is."
                    Last edited by Stanfordian; 30-09-15, 14:01.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      Here is a phrase that I am hearing often:

'It is, what it is!'
                      And before that, there was

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      "It is what it is"
                      I replied to both (but you've forgotten that too!)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

And before that, there was

I replied to both (but you've forgotten that too!)
                        Hiya Jean,

I suppose my memory is what it is!

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Indeed.

We are where we are, and must make the best of it.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Although I'm the sort of person who reacts violently against catch-phrases (going forward, having a conversation about, etc, etc, etc) I must say I find "it is what it is" quite the most fundamental truth of Life, The Universe and Everything. Much better than 47. Whether it's quarks, string theory, space-time, the uncertainty principle...name any hard-to-grasp concept...the phrase "it is what it is" just about sums it up . Einstein himself might have coined it.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                              Although I'm the sort of person who reacts violently against catch-phrases (going forward, having a conversation about, etc, etc, etc) I must say I find "it is what it is" quite the most fundamental truth of Life, The Universe and Everything. Much better than 47. Whether it's quarks, string theory, space-time, the uncertainty principle...name any hard-to-grasp concept...the phrase "it is what it is" just about sums it up . Einstein himself might have coined it.
                              Hiya Ardcarp,

Yes, it might be a profound statement but this threat is about annoying phrases. It's when everyone begins to use a particular phrase and even pepper a conversation with it that it begins to jar.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                                I suppose my memory is what it is!
                                Ah but Stan - is it what it was, that's the question!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X