Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    Ms Pollee Toynbee
    Polly, actually.

The Rugby 'World Cup'
    Now that one's getting mine on edge, too, but probably for quite different reasons to yours. It has just been cited by GWR (Great Western Railway, the recently adopted new/old name for First Great Western) as the reason for a 20 minute delay on its 22.45 services from London to Swansea on Mondays through Thursdays (but not Fridays!) despite said delay occurring between leaving Swindon and arriving at Bristol Parkway, neither of which is exactly neighbouring Cardiff's Millennium Stadium where it's taking place; I imagne that there would likely be no reduction in such implausible "explanations" were a Corbyn-led Labour government ever to renationalise the rail industry...

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      I didn't suggest such...
      You did, you know.

Intention is not indicated only by the use of the word intend. The word would often serves the purpose equally well.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Compo sight.
        Though I guess that notwithstanding the new leadership, that particular pronunciation will stay, were I to re-join or not.
        An aspect of the Labour Party's Green credentials?

(Or part of the Holmfirth Village Tour?)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          An aspect of the Labour Party's Green credentials?

(Or part of the Holmfirth Village Tour?)

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

I can't see Cleggy wanting to switch to Labour now.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
              You did, you know.

Intention is not indicated only by the use of the word intend. The word would often serves the purpose equally well.
              Sorry, jean; can't agree there! Whilst I accept that the identification of intention does not necessarily presume the actual use of words such as "intend", "intention" or whatever, the point was (and remains) that the thread topic and comprehensibility (intended or otherwise) to some or all readers thereof are two different matters; what I wrote might therefore be as easily taken as suggestive of what you took it to be as it might not, depending on who's reading it. That said, I did not, as you might care to note, actually introduce the incomprehensibility factor in the first place but merely responded to it in the context of the presumed purpose of this thread.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                I can't see Cleggy wanting to switch to Labour now.
                I can't see Cleggy full stop.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I can't see Cleggy full stop.
                  Plenty of whine for all four seasons.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Plenty of whine for all four seasons.
                    Cleggy colon, then.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Sorry, jean; can't agree there! Whilst I accept that the identification of intention does not necessarily presume the actual use of words such as "intend", "intention" or whatever, the point was (and remains) that the thread topic and comprehensibility (intended or otherwise) to some or all readers thereof are two different matters; what I wrote might therefore be as easily taken as suggestive of what you took it to be as it might not, depending on who's reading it. That said, I did not, as you might care to note, actually introduce the incomprehensibility factor in the first place but merely responded to it in the context of the presumed purpose of this thread.
                      Well you have certainly now given the thread incomprehensibility factor one heck of a boost, ahinton ...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Well you have certainly now given the thread incomprehensibility factor one heck of a boost, ahinton ...
                        Assai sa chi sa che non sa. (Italian proverb - He who knows that he knows nothing knows much).

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Sorry, jean; can't agree there! Whilst I accept that the identification of intention does not necessarily presume the actual use of words such as "intend", "intention" or whatever...
                          I might have drawn your attention to the word dedicated, as well!

The contentious wording is this:

I'd thought that it was a thread about phrases and words that set members' teeth on edge rather than one dedicated to the provision of posts that would elude the comprehension of some members, even including that of FF herself.
                          If I were to write 'This is a thread dedicated to the provision of posts that will elude the comprehension of some members...' would you really not think I was suggesting that the thread had some conscious intention to confuse?

As to the sort of thread it is, I mean it's a thread that reflects, metalinguistically, on how we use language, and offers opportunities for metalinguistic word-play in a way that other threads don't.

Thus, as it may be, Tippsy (or was it teamsaint?) announces his dislike of the phrase honorary degrees, which he thinks are awarded regardless of any merit. So when you post something he thinks devoid of merit, he rewards you with one of these (metalinguistically) worthless degrees. And the expected response is that you should feel offended by the accolade rather than honoured.

Last edited by jean; 28-09-15, 18:04.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            are you touting tickets for this?
                            If only!

One family member as a ticket already and will be going, but I'm too far away from north London at the minute!

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Oh, I don't know; not particularly, methinks. It seemed to have been given plenty of it already in any case!

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                Assai sa chi sa che non sa. (Italian proverb - He who knows that he knows nothing knows much).
                                Oh, please don't let's slip into that Rumsfeldian demi-monde of "known unknowns"!...

Comment

Working...
                                X