Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Revisited my massage therapist the other day after a gap of several months and was struck by how often she started answers to questions with 'So'.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Revisited my massage therapist the other day after a gap of several months and was struck by how often she started answers to questions with 'So'.
      Was her service a bit " so- so" then, Alison?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

If she'd ended them thus, she'd probably be Irish...

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          THE News

because it is some news. Chosen by somebody. Who may be under certain pressures to include some things, and exclude other things.

and those other excluded things might be very important.

like,just as an example,more or less everything that happens in Africa.
          But what would you call news bulletins of whatever dimensions instead? Often, the time is given between the definite article and the word "news", as is "the ten o'clock news", but would that suit you or do you still find the use of the definite article inappropriate? At least the programme title News at Ten omits the apparently offending article!

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Was her service a bit " so- so" then, Alison?
            So, I really like her, age 27, my 40 mile round trip was well worth it.

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

"Clemmie" this morning: Brahms Quartet for piano and strings op 60. "Jaime Laredo on the violin, Emanuel Ax on piano, Isaac Stern on the violin and Yo Yo Ma on cello".

This "on" business is now so common that I should have got used to it by now - but it still sets my teeth on edge.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

"Clemmie"
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                  "Clemmie" this morning: Brahms Quartet for piano and strings op 60. "Jaime Laredo on the violin, Emanuel Ax on piano, Isaac Stern on the violin and Yo Yo Ma on cello".

This "on" business is now so common that I should have got used to it by now - but it still sets my teeth on edge.
                  Yes, all those string players "on" their respective instruments, whose total value must be in at least seven figures; think of the damage done by this! And what was so bad about the piano that an Ax had to be taken to it?!

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    "Clemmie"
                    Well, since clemency is so rarely merited when her outpourings are referred to, it's seems fair enough, perhaps...

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      "Clemmie"
                      It's strange how this works in the opposite way from that intended. It's obviously meant to convey friendliness, 'one big family' &c, but it just creates a division, with the old pals act going on behind the microphone and the audience on the other side, ruffled at the assumption that the warmth displayed in the studio is shared by the listeners. [That's my reading of it, anyway]
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        It's strange how this works in the opposite way from that intended. It's obviously meant to convey friendliness, 'one big family' &c, but it just creates a division, with the old pals act going on behind the microphone and the audience on the other side, ruffled at the assumption that the warmth displayed in the studio is shared by the listeners. [That's my reading of it, anyway]
                        Seems about right to me...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

If she started each utterance with "Look" she would probably be an Aussie.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            Yes, all those string players "on" their respective instruments, whose total value must be in at least seven figures; think of the damage done by this! And what was so bad about the piano that an Ax had to be taken to it?!
                            Did they feed it first?

"Piano Piece for David Tudor #1" : La Monte Young

Bring a bale of hay and a bucket of water onto the stage for the piano to eat and drink. The performer may then feed the piano or leave it to eat by itself. If the former, the piece is over after the piano has been fed. If the latter, it is over after the piano eats or decides not to.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Yes! My it's very rare that a news programme needs to be more than a quarter-hour long referred to the content that is chosen to be broadcast. Cut out all the waffle, and there would be room for much of the other stuff in an hour's programme.
                              Instead of which , it's always "Well I'm sorry, So-and-so, I'm afraid we'll have to end there because we've run out of time". Which "we" wouldn't have done, had it not been for all that waffle, the sport results about which nothing can now be done, and the item about the 1980s pop singer who's just had her latest CD released after a gap of 3o years.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Did they feed it first?
                                I have no idea, although I doubt it (and yes I did know about that and, when first I encountered it, I wondered momentarily whether different makes of piano might have different kinds and levels of appetite, although the now not so Young Monty omits to inform or even speculate on this); for a definitive and authoritative answer, your best bet would be to put the question to La Clemenza, methinks...

Comment

Working...
                                X