Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    Sorry, Ferney, but there seems to be a touch of classical confusion here. Omnibus is Latin, the dative or ablative plural of omnis, and thus means "for everyone" or "everybody's" - whether they use it or not.
    You know that, and I know that, Pabs ... but these people ... !

I feel 16 again!
    It'll pass
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Sorry, Ferney, but there seems to be a touch of classical confusion here. Omnibus is Latin, the dative or ablative plural of omnis, and thus means "for everyone" or "everybody's" - whether they use it or not.

I feel 16 again!
      Every swot kno this! The rest had a chance to catch up from the masterful classical exposition which preceded this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHbF0jAzMw Sadly, not in this clip.

Michael Flanders: "Omnibus, my friend Mr Swann tells me, comes from the Latin omnibus." [Identical 'English' pronunciation: pause for laughter] "Meaning 'to or for, by, with or from everybody', which is a very good description."
      Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 14-02-15, 11:53. Reason: Added transcription after digging out the LP
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        ...Reason: Added transcription after digging out the LP
        I'm envious.

Call for a taxi ... ting! ting!

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          ...It'll pass
          If only ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

But what about an 'omnibus' edition of a magazine - meaning collected past editions or a selection from them - in other words, 'contains' rather than 'for'?

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              But what about an 'omnibus' edition of a magazine - meaning collected past editions or a selection from them - in other words, 'contains' rather than 'for'?
              Just a guess, but it might have begun with the meaning "for everyone" but we've altered the meaning to something that makes more sense to us now (probably because the Latin meaning wasn't widely known). It's the same process by which "Jumbo" now means "very big", whereas it began as a name (from mumbo-jumbo) given to a baby elephant that just happened to grow into the biggest - and most famous - ever.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                ... ain't it still probably a dative?

OED gives it as 'relating to or serving for numerous distinct objects at once; comprising a large number of items or particulars: eg an omnibus bill, clause, order, faculty'

We need Jean or Fr: Fr: to help us out here...

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ...OED gives it as 'relating to or serving for numerous distinct objects at once; comprising a large number of items or particulars: eg an omnibus bill, clause, order, faculty'...
                  Or even being comprised of - but never, ever comprising of. But let that pass.

By the time it's acquired this meaning, it's not really a dative any more, is it? More like a genitive, as in the joke phrase omnium gatherum, which now apparently means something completely different.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    omnium gatherum
                    Jean's awareness of Finnish melodic death metal bands never ceases to amaze me...

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Jean's awareness of Finnish melodic death metal bands never ceases to amaze me...

A somewhat trivium remark, Vinny.

You seem to know your metal. You werent at the the Machine head gig at the NEC arena in 2007, by any chance ?
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Well, one can chair a meeting. What on earth is that supposed to mean? Chair a meeting? If I were a chair ...
                        If you say so, head...

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Possibly not a lot per se. But chair is shorter, so it's an abbreviation, more economical. Like when we get off a bus and say, 'Cheers, drive!' ('Thank you, driver').
                        Well, they speak funny in Bristol ...

So we can abbreviate both fisherman and fisherwoman and call them both a 'fish'?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Apparently they belong to the melodic death metal school. Which suggests that there is an unmelodic school. How easy it it to tell the difference?

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

My apparently might have led you to suppose that my awareness was very much at second hand.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                              Well, they speak funny in Bristol ...
                              It's spelt "Bristle", actually (sorry, I know that this isn't the pedantry thread, but...)

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                              So we can abbreviate both fisherman and fisherwoman and call them both a 'fish'?
                              Well, acording to FF, it would, like the "chair" example, be "fisher'n", except that this might perhaps cause some confusion in that it sounds rather like something nuclear.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Well, it exceeds mine, for sure; I'm quite rusty in such matters...

Comment

Working...
                                X