Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P. G. Tipps
    • Jun 2014

At the risk of bewildering one or two members further social engineering can be a direct assault on one's right to use perfectly normal words as they don't fit the compulsory jargon of a social-engineering section of society.

Witness the recent case of the actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, being accused of being 'racist' for uttering the simple word 'coloured' to describe non-whites.

The worst thing here was not the absurdity of the accusation but the fact that it was taken so seriously that the actor immediately apologised publicly in the most craven manner imaginable.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
      At the risk of bewildering one or two members further social engineering can be a direct assault on one's right to use perfectly normal words as they don't fit the compulsory jargon of a social-engineering section of society.

Witness the recent case of the actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, being accused of being 'racist' for uttering the simple word 'coloured' to describe non-whites.

The worst thing here was not the absurdity of the accusation but the fact that it was taken so seriously that the actor immediately apologised publicly in the most craven manner imaginable.
      I think you're mixing social engineering up with political correctness, PGT.

"Coloured" was the term used in apartheid S Africa to distinguish those of mixed race from blacks and whites.

Given the definers in this case, one should not be surprised if many are offended by its use.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The way I understand the usual definition of "social engineering" is that it is anything which interferes with the operation of the free market. My categories implied, not without a touch of irony, a broader definition of social engineering I thought was needed.
        Perhaps I missed the irony! I didn't take 'cooperation' to have any particular connection with the Cooperative movement or similar. Or social engineering.

I suspect you had particular contexts in mind which I failed to detect.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I think he is.

"Coloured" was the term used in apartheid S Africa to distinguish those of mixed race from blacks and whites.
          There was a time when it was used in the States for African Americans - it's just not used any more, though the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People still exists.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            (Loudly) "I'm on the train."
            While I was once alighting from the train at St Pancras I overheard someone say into their mobile phone, "I'm in Guildford at the moment"!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              While I was once alighting from the train at St Pancras I overheard someone say into their mobile phone, "I'm in Guildford at the moment"!
              Hope you shouted out: 'Oh, no s/he's not!'
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

On the contrary one is simply the mouthpiece of the other!

Never mind, S_A, anything else that sets your teeth on edge that ahinton will be utterly relaxed about ... ?
                Last edited by P. G. Tipps; 01-02-15, 19:34. Reason: typing on 9" tablet!

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

On the contrary one is simply the mouthpiece of the other!
                  Now I know you're seriously confused.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Hope you shouted out: 'Oh, no s/he's not!'
                    Did think of that but didn't want to be responsible for a domestic upset.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Never find, S_A, anything else that sets your teeth on edge that ahinton will be utterly relaxed about ... ?
                      Ahinton's still waiting to learn what are your recommended preferences tgo each of those phrases that you listed...

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Only now?(!)...

Comment

• Penn Igor

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Have we had "hard-working people"?
                          You may have! I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by jean View Post

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Does posting this link constitute a rawl plug?

("Screw that" isn't the correct answer to that rather obviously rhetorical question, by the way)...

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Someone's obsessions are showing.

...The social engineer imagines that by telling children about homosexuality, they will come to see it as normal. That is nonsense. People who don't have their wires crossed feel a simple biological revulsion to the thought of homosexuality, the same as to foul smells and bitter tastes...

Sadly for Rawls, those he thinks of as 'social engineers' have been quite successful.

Comment

Working...
                                X