Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Someone on Newsnight has just referred to the "least worst option". This can be heard quite often. Is this now accepted usage despite being ungrammatical? Or does it come under jokey deliberate misuse. Surely "least bad" is what they mean.
    I agree it's not uncommon to hear it said, but I'd say the usage has an illustrious history. One comparative (or rather superlative) acts as an intensifier of the other. Shakespeare loved the construction - "This was the most unkindest cut of all" (Julius Caesar, Act III, sc. 2); "With the most boldest and the best hearts of Rome" (JC, Act III, sc. 1); "How much more elder art thou than thy looks!" (Merchant of Venice, Act IV, sc. 1); "O, throw away the worser part of it" (Hamlet, Act III, sc. 4). The last quote is not quite the same point, but it's in the same area. I can't think of any more at the moment.

I think the construction is called pleonasm and it's stylistic or rhetorical rather than grammatical. "Free, gratis and for nothing" is pleonastic - three very similar ideas are repeated for emphasis. "I saw it with my own eyes" would be another (we don't need to say 'own' but do so for emphasis).

Actually, it's the reason why "from whence" is not always wrongly tautologous - if there is some point to emphasising it.
    Last edited by Pabmusic; 03-10-14, 00:36.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      This is a veritable feast, Caliban.

...."having conversations, going forward"
      ...along the "Direction of Travel" (heard yesterday from a Wales govt minisiter, talking about education in Wales, it has a long way to go apparently)

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        Someone on Newsnight has just referred to the "least worst option". This can be heard quite often. Is this now accepted usage despite being ungrammatical? Or does it come under jokey deliberate misuse. Surely "least bad" is what they mean.
        I'm no expert like you linguists
        "least worst" and "least bad" mean slightly different things to me.

Januarys' or Januaries (referring to multiple instances of the month) ?

Conservative Party Conference.

Whether you support them or not, I would say that it's definitely NOT a "Conference" but more like a (with a Laibach soundtrack ?) "Rally"
        Don't you need to actually have a discussion for it to be a conference?

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

. . . with (Horowitz) at the keyboard. Or: . . . with (Horowitz) on the piano.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            ...Januarys' or Januaries (referring to multiple instances of the month) ?...
            I've just noticed this. I'd argue that, since January is a proper noun used as such and not a simple noun (like 'ball' or 'hippopotamus'*) it is preferable to write Januarys. Many -y endings take an s anyway - keys, monkeys, days, ways, boys - although admittedly usually when the y is preceded by a vowel.** The problem with -ies is that of confusion, especially with Maies and Julies. Never cause your readers to re-read.

Pass the port, m'dear fellow…

* [from the Greek, so that hippopotami is Latinised - it ought to be hippopotamoi. Hippopotamuses is the preferred plural in the OED and in Webster. I think 'hippos' is better. As for my other example, it's just balls. Snuff, anyone…?]

** [not 'why', though, as in "whys and wherefores" - another pleonasm, since 'wherefore' means 'why'. My word, another bottle… A toast to the Queer old Dean...]
            Last edited by Pabmusic; 13-10-14, 01:57.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              I'd argue that, since January is a proper noun used as such and not a simple noun (like 'ball' or 'hippopotamus'*) it is preferable to write Januarys.
              And a reasonable argument, but it seems that is not the 'preferred' spelling on the internet :-). The common nouns such as actuaries, visionaries, missionaries seem to have led to Januaries. The OED does not indicate a plural, and the only example I can see is: "Few Januaries have been preceded by such a week as Christmas, 1891."

I cannot say that it sets my teeth on edge but perhaps I'm being pedantic.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                ...I cannot say that it sets my teeth on edge but perhaps I'm being pedantic.
                Neither does it mine, but Maies and Julies would.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Neither does it mine, but Maies and Julies would.
                  True. But July is stressed on the final, to rhyme with by, and in May it isn't a separate syllable, which puts them in a different category from the point of view of pronunciation from January and February. You mentioned 'days' - so Mondays, Tuesdays etc.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

True. But July is stressed on the final, to rhyme with by, and in May it isn't a separate syllable, which puts them in a different category from the point of view of pronunciation from January and February. You mentioned 'days' - so Mondays, Tuesdays etc.
                    Maybe, but it surely would cause a reader to do a 'double take'.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Maybe, but it surely would cause a reader to do a 'double take'.
                      It might cause some readers to do so. To me it seems to fit a common rule for forming plurals. And I only mentioned the internet because that seems to be the place where 'the average reader' might hang out. You have to scroll down a few hits before there is any example of Januarys. And there are more Januaries (about 313,000) than Januarys (244,00) even when it includes sundry January's &c. I'm only arguing that the balance seems tipped in favour of Januaries even if both are acceptable.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

It might cause some readers to do so. To me it seems to fit a common rule for forming plurals. And I only mentioned the internet because that seems to be the place where 'the average reader' might hang out. You have to scroll down a few hits before there is any example of Januarys. And there are more Januaries (about 313,000) than Januarys (244,00) even when it includes sundry January's &c. I'm only arguing that the balance seems tipped in favour of Januaries even if both are acceptable.
                        I doubt that I'd argue against that. I still think that Januarys is clearer. However, I've lived nearly 62 years without ever having to write 'Januarys' (or -ies) so it probably doesn't matter too much.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I've started to notice the use of the word "surveil", for "keep under surveillance". An American lady used it on Newsnight the other night. Doesn't appear in our ageing Concise Oxford but numerous online definitions. Is this an American usage?

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Hiya!
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              I've started to notice the use of the word "surveil"...
                              Perhaps she was saying survey?

But as our surveillance comes from the French verb surveiller, it's not unreasonable of us to backform a corresponding verb of our own, is it?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

No she definitely said surveil, stress on second syllable as in sur- vale - and not the first time I've heard it. Just seems to be a new usage, tho not as you say unreasonable.

Comment

Working...
                                X