Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
    English is unusual in requiring different verb forms for the protasis and apodosis of a conditional sentence. In Latin, and the few modern European languages I know, the same construction is used.

But we're supposed to say If you had done this, I would have done that.

This can become (for the sake of what the speaker feels is balance) If you would have done this, I would have done that, contracted to If you'd have done this, I'd have done that.

Them we find the first clause expanded again, wrongly, to If you had have done this...
    You are quite right. People don't carefully consider subtleties of meaning (at least, not usually). "If I should have done..." and "If I had done..." could be said to have different meanings, with the first referring to an earlier time than the second. But that's the sort of distinction for pedants.

Wait a minute though... -???-

Doh!

Comment

• Radio64
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Them's fine explanations.
      'er knows 'er stuff !*

(* I've always presumed it's Jean as in Jean Simmons, and not Jean as in Jean-Michel Jarre)
      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

It is.

The Italians I taught thought that it was Jean as in gin, which they found hilarious - because they really couldn't hear the difference.

Comment

• Radio64
          • Jan 2014

There's so much that is wrong in that sentence. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Comment

• Radio64
            • Jan 2014

It is.

The Italians I taught thought that it was Jean as in gin, which they found hilarious - because they really couldn't hear the difference.
            ..rather than as in jeans?

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
              There's so much that is wrong in that sentence. It doesn't make any sense to me at all.
              The writer imagines Bernstein thinking something like 'I am now a cultural icon in America, so I should be more closely associated in people's minds with European cultural icons, who pronounce their names in European ways - in my case, -stein not -steen.'

Bernstein isn't thinking If I were a cultural icon, I would pronounce my name in such a way. He's thinking I am, and I will.

Here is the discussion.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                I've had a similar comment from a Scot (Edinburgh) who lived for several years in Inverness
                where many people sppeak English with less of a tgrace of any kiond of Scottish accent than anywhere else in Scotland, methinks.

Comment

• Radio64
                  • Jan 2014

The writer imagines Bernstein thinking something like 'I am now a cultural icon in America, so I should be more closely associated in people's minds with European cultural icons, who pronounce their names in European ways - in my case, -stein not -steen.'

Bernstein isn't thinking If I were a cultural icon, I would pronounce my name in such a way. He's thinking I am, and I will.

Here is the discussion.
                  Even more confused. But let's move on...

What about people using 'like' and 'love' in the present continuous? "I'm liking..." "I'm loving..."

gaahh!!

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Well! That post of mine has given rise to much informed (and a little uninformed ) comment. Thanks pabs for your support.

I do enjoy jean's postings. They are short and to the point, and I'm loving reading words like "protasis" and "apodosis".

(Sorry R64 - I do of course agree with you!)

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

oh dear, this fault must be very deeply-ingrained in my brain, I'm sure I can hear a teacher saying to me - "if you'd've done your homework on time, you wouldn't have had to catch up now"

[I'm loving this thread ]

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Homage

I have always pronounced this 'hommij' but now there is an annoying trendy pronounciation 'hommarge'.

Comment

• Radio64
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Homage

I have always pronounced this 'hommij' but now there is an annoying trendy pronounciation 'hommarge'.
                          and without even dropping the aitch!

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

From one of our very own this very morn, "There are a large number of Bruckner recordings clamouring for your attention ... ". No names. No pack drill.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Homage

Different words - or rather, different developments of what was originally the same word.

I'm sure there's a discussion about it here somewhere.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

"No names. No pack drill."
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X