Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
    I think you will find it is going into the pockets of the employees, too. Thirty years ago, a job on the railways wasn't particularly well paid but it was good steady employment - i.e. you were not likely to get made redundant. I am told freight drivers can easily earn £75,000 a year nowadays.

In what other industry could anyone be paid for ten hours at triple time plus a day in lieu for ringing in to see whether they were required (and being told they weren't)?
    here is a discussion including some pretty open comments from actual drivers about what they actually earn, which seem to be in the area of £35 to £50 k .
    It would seem that some of the higher salaries carry mandatory overtime requirements, and that freight seems to be at the tough end of the spectrum in terms of working conditions.

any occupation that is unionised gets vilified in the press, and there is usually some pretty serious disinformation going.
    £38 k for a tube driver seems reasonable money though.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Vile Consort
      • Nov 2010

Indeed, they are only getting up to that level because (a) most of their work is during unsocial hours, and (b) there is a lot of "rest day working" going begging at overtime rates. But very few people in the rail industry other than office staff receive only their basic pay: they are all working their rest days and Sundays at overtime rates because their roster clerks are begging them to!

A friend of mine, who is a signaller and a union rep, made a comment that "it's no wonder the track is in the state it's in - it's the weight of the drivers' wallets passing over it that does the damage".

Speaking of buses, there's a bus service runs around the villages here in the evenings. I don't believe I have ever seen it carry a passenger. On one occasion I wanted to use it to retrieve my car, which I had left at the other end of a walk. I stuck out my hand but it went sailing past at considerable speed. I suspect the drivers are so inured to running empty that they forget to look out for passengers.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        I don't live in or near a city and there's no public transport around here. Furthermore, whenever I've passed the occasional bus a few miles distant, said bus has been empty except for its driver (unless it's a school bus), which hardly bodes well for the continuation, let alone expansion, of service provision; I have no idea how the companies that provide such bus services manage to keep going - they must either be making a thumping great loss or are getting handouts from somewhere. The nearest one to where I am does provide school bus services, so maybe it subsidises its empty buses from the profits generated from that - who knows?

The prioritisation of efficient public transport services in cities, however, is something that I probably support as much as you do.
        Subsidies for buses in rural areas have been severely cut in recent years and in Cornwall there are people whose livelihood depends on being able to travel by bus. Their services are under threat. Whilst I agree that efficient public transport services in cities is essential I guess the level of subsidy and driver's pay is much higher than in rural areas.

Comment

• Radio64
          • Jan 2014

What about when people say 'huge' and really emphasise the 'u' to make it 'huuuuge' ...!?!?!

You really don't need to make huge and huger.
          "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
            What about when people say 'huge' and really emphasise the 'u' to make it 'huuuuge' ...!?!?!

You really don't need to make huge and huger.
            'humungous'

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              'humungous'
              Humungous with a HAITCH, how I hate HAITCH!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                how I hate HAITCH!
                But dontcha know that if you say "Aitch" you're being lazy and yer dropping yer haitches, innit?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

When I lived in Chesterfield, it was the people who thought they were posh who said "haitch". Similarly, they were the ones who said, "between you and I...".

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                    But dontcha know that if you say "Aitch" you're being lazy and yer dropping yer haitches, innit?
                    'allo, 'allo?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      how I hate HAITCH!
                      The pronunciation of common words has changed drastically over time. And, as the British Library begins a quest to record people's articulations, it seems that differences in how we say words could be influenced by age.

(The video clip is quite amusing)
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

and who was the first person to comment ?
                        The British Library is asking the public to help it track how pronunciation is shifting in Britain. What changes have you noticed? Volunteers are being asked to record a chapter...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyours...or_haitch.html
                          Pronunciation quite 'correct' - typing faulty?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Radio64
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyours...or_haitch.html
                            oozat?
                            "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                              oozat?
                              A distinguished member of this forum, R64!

Comment

• jean
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

I hadn't seen that item (or Mary's comment) but I'm surprised no menntion was made, either in the article itself or in the comments, of the haitch pronunciation as a feature of (Catholic) Hiberno-English.

Here's a good account:

The oddly named letter H is usually pronounced ‘aitch’ /eɪtʃ/ in British English, but in Ireland we tend to aspirate it as ‘haitch’ /heɪtʃ/. This haitching is a distinctive …

Comment

Working...
                                X