Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    The trend to withdraw using the word 'the' from certain sentences.
    Are you coming to church?
    There are certain words for types of place that are always used without the definite article in British English (but not in American English, I think) so long as you are there for the purpose for which they are primarily intended. Thus

Are you coming to church? = Do you propose to attend Divine Service?
    Are you coming to the church? = Will you join me in examining the architecture of this ecclesiastical building?

He's in prison = He's received a custodial sentence
    I'm going to the prison = It's my turn to visit him there this week

Similarly with hospital and a few others. If it's a 'trend', it's a very old one.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

A reminder: this thread is "Phrases/Words that set your teeth on edge" not Pedants' Corner.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Quite right, Sir Velo. A phrase may set your teeth on edge, and this in itself should not prompt another poster to contradict or ridicule the state of mind or the challenge the correctness of it.
        In Pedants' Corner, it's quite different.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          There are certain words for types of place that are always used without the definite article in British English (but not in American English, I think) so long as you are there for the purpose for which they are primarily intended. Thus

Are you coming to church? = Do you propose to attend Divine Service?
          Are you coming to the church? = Will you join me in examining the architecture of this ecclesiastical building?

Similarly with hospital and a few others. If it's a 'trend', it's a very old one.
          Exactly. I've been "going to church" for well over half a century. Not always the same church, though.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            The trend to withdraw using the word 'the' from certain sentences.

Come in-store for the bargains.
            I am going to mosque.
            Are you coming to church?
            Mortgages available in-branch.

I believe that the word 'the' in this context will soon cease to be used in general conversation especially with the widespread use of texting.
            It is not necessary to use the definite article when talking non-definitely. It is the same with 'she's at university", "he went to hospital"*, or "I have to go to work". Using the definite article would suggest there's something important about it ("we went to the church" suggests one particular building that both parties have in mind, for instance). "He goes to school" tells you something about his general routine (also something about his age), whereas "he goes to the school" links him with a specific building.

I suppose you could say that the definite article isn't needed when definition is not.

(I'm not sure about your 'mosque' example - since I wasn't aware of its use in this general sense; perhaps it's in imitation of the general sense of 'church'.)

* I think Americans use 'I went to the hospital' in a general sense. Just one of those things.

Comment

• scottycelt

'Awdah ... Awdah ... Honourable Members should realise that the Right Honourable Member for Morley & Outwood must and will be heard!'

Comment

• Phileas
                • Jul 2012

When spoken by one our "leaders": "Our hearts go out to the families..."

Comment

• scottycelt

'Unlike those opposite I'm batting for Britain ... '

In which case you've already been bowled out for a duck ... ?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by Phileas View Post
                    When spoken by one our "leaders": "Our hearts go out to the families..."
                    Yes. And it doesn't have to be spoke by a 'leader' - it's a trite expression of pseudo-grief that has effectively lost its meaning.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                      'Unlike those opposite I'm batting for Britain ... '

In which case you've already been bowled out for a duck ... ?
                      You're on good form today.

Bowled out for a duck on a sticky wicket in a game of two halves.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

(I think we have been here before ?)

"UK Plc"

(along with "Team GB" or "Team" anything........with the possible exception of our saintly comrade ?)

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                          Yes. And it doesn't have to be spoke by a 'leader' - it's a trite expression of pseudo-grief that has effectively lost its meaning.
                          agreed it is said a lot, however, any suggestions as to what alternative should be said - bearing in mind that people with no personal connection to the deceased seem to be expected by the media to make a comment ?

I'm not sure that "good riddance" would be appropriate (for example)

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                            agreed it is said a lot, however, any suggestions as to what alternative should be said - bearing in mind that people with no personal connection to the deceased seem to be expected by the media to make a comment ?

I'm not sure that "good riddance" would be appropriate
                            No - I can't think of a good alternative. It's easy to be wise...

Comment

• Phileas
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              Well, they could try to express what they genuinely feel, like a normal person. They might be surprised how attractive that is to voters.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Phileas View Post
                                Well, they could try to express what they genuinely feel, like a normal person.
                                What's a "normal" person ?

Comment

Working...
                                X